• 1 Post By 700 4

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 06-28-2016, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
roll cage issue

Greetings, just wanted to ask if anyone has experience a roll over in their p500. This past weekend my friend broke his neck in 3 places after a very gentle roll resulted in the Roll Cage collapsing from the listed height of 6"7" to about 5"9".

I have seen similar machines go though this same type roll with ny bending of the cage. It seems to be that the cage is not able to support the weight of the machine should it become inverted for any reason.

Anyone seen anything like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-28-2016, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I've seen several that have rolled over but no major injuries. Was he wearing a seatbelt? Also, I think the roll cages are installed by the dealer and not the factory... I have seen some that didnt have bolts installed properly or even at all. Did he check that?
post #3 of 10 Old 06-28-2016, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Garage
please post pic
Rustell likes this.

post #4 of 10 Old 06-28-2016, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Hope your friend recovers soon.... Please post some piuctures..

Ride like your Life depends on it... because it does.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-28-2016, 07:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I hope your friend is going to be ok.

I have to say, though, that I have to believe that there is more to this than a minor accident and the roll cage collapses. I would be very surprised if one of the tests Honda did with the roll cages wasn't the full weight of the rig coming down on top of it. Even if it torqued the cage in the roll I can't see all of the bolts breaking. There are about 10 or more of them.

Last edited by lynn1130; 06-29-2016 at 10:22 AM.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-28-2016, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Garage
I haven't seen one with that much damage from a roll over. I would like to see the pics as well, damage has to be real noticeable. Wishing a speedy recovery for your freind as well.

Last edited by toodeep; 06-28-2016 at 11:16 PM.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-01-2016, 01:42 AM

The Roll Cage had all the bolts installed. The failure is near the bends in the cage in both the front and rear.
I'm working on getting some pics to post.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-01-2016, 01:43 AM

Working on getting some pics.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-01-2016, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn1130 View Post
I hope your friend is going to be ok.

I have to say, though, that I have to believe that there is more to this than a minor accident and the roll cage collapses. I would be very surprised if one of the tests Honda did with the roll cages wasn't the full weight of the rig coming down on top of it. Even if it torqued the cage in the roll I can't see all of the bolts breaking. There are about 10 or more of them.

None of the bolts came out or broke. It just that the metal in the roll cage simply smooshed down at the rear bends and slid forward then sandwiched my friend between the seat and the top/roof of the cage.
I was to his right and slightly behind him in my machine and saw very clearly how it gently rolled over once and landed back on the wheels. At no point during the duration of the roll was there not a part of the vehicle in contact with the ground which was in the sand dunes.
Nothing else on the machine was damaged. Not the fenders, bumpers, etc.
When back on the wheels the distance between the seat and top was substantially reduced and not nearly enough for his six foot frame. It was like a vice had just crushed him in his neck. He was wearing his seat belt and could not lean away enough to escape the vertical vice like action.

I was very surprised that Honda did not use a heavier gage metal. There needs to be reinforcement in the area of the bends to give added strength.
I'll post some pics as soon as I can get back to the macine.
post #10 of 10 Old 07-01-2016, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthomp54 View Post
I've seen several that have rolled over but no major injuries. Was he wearing a seatbelt? Also, I think the roll cages are installed by the dealer and not the factory... I have seen some that didnt have bolts installed properly or even at all. Did he check that?

Yes he was wearing a seatbelt. Not sure that actually help as he could not move away from the roof crushing down upon his head.
Yes the bolts were all there and properly tightened. The failure was at the bends in the tube metal of the cage.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page