• 1 Post By tj_oreo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 09-29-2016, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Pioneer 500 Engine "Cold Seizure"

I have a 2016 Honda Pioneer 500 with about 800 km on it. I had the first oil change by the dealer at 150 km. It was due for the next one at 1000 km. At about 750 km there was a noise as I shifted through the gears. It would come on at a point (RPM) and then go away if I backed off on the throttle, or up shifted. It was present in all gears. I took it in to the dealer and they have come back with an engine failure. He called it a "cold seizure" more likely to be seen in a 2 stroke engine. I am new to the whole ATV/SXS thing, but have owned sleds that were 2 strokes. I was always careful, especially since it was new, and it never even came close to reaching max operating conditions. I pushed this up to Honda Can Inc and they are "thinking" about what to do. I want a new engine, since I don't think they can be certain what has happened. They are more thinking to replace the piston/rings, etc. Any thoughts? I can't find any reference to this situation anywhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-29-2016, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Don't know anything about the 500 but I am sure sorry to hear about your trouble. I have the 700 and I know the valves need to be adjusted on alot of them. Some were very loose without very many miles on them. One other thing to see is if it is a rattle in the rear end. Like I said I have the 700 and it has a very noticeable rattle coming from the rear end until you back off on the throttle. I don't know if the 500 had the same problem with this but could be a possibility. Just trying to come up with some ideas. One person to touch base on this forum is @toodeep. He has a knack of taking care of this stuff. I wish you luck.
bweeden1 likes this.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-29-2016, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Garage
The noise was noticeable when shifting gears and then go away? If there was a lack of lubrication (oil passage plugged/weak oil pump) the transmission was probably harmed as well as the piston. It's hard to say for sure though without seeing the parts. Even then it's a guess as to what might have happened unless you can see a major problem.

post #4 of 4 Old 09-29-2016, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thx for this. At dealer now. We'll see what happens. Noise only noticeable at a certain rpm in each gear. Noise was at the back.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page