LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 02-02-2017, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Potential Pioneer 500 purchaser with questions

Gentlemen:

I am new here and wondering if I could get a little purchase mentoring from you folks. My wife and I want to buy a SxS. We are in our late 50s and in good health. She is very petite and I'm about 200 lbs. Basically, we want a machine we can use on weekends to explore the high desert in north eastern California and north western Nevada via over-night camping trips and long trail rides. We'd like a machine large enough that we can drive it 75-100 miles in a day and not feel too beaten up at the end of the day. We also need to be able to pack enough gear to camp comfortably (or maybe even pull a small trailer with gear----we have a 54" wide homemade trailer with a 3-man rooftop tent installed on it that weighs about 500 lbs with 20 gallons of water and it would be great to have the option of towing that out onto the desert with the Pioneer). We plan on trailering the machine to the trailhead.

We've done a lot of research and have narrowed it down to either a 2017 Pioneer 500 or a 2016 1000-3 EPS. I am very impressed with the 500 (I think I've seen every YouTube video there is on this machine and have done a bunch of reading on this forum) and the price is right. The 1000-3 is a bit of a stretch price wise, but we could swing it and I really like the larger size. It would allow us to haul plenty of gear and once in a while, maybe even take a grandchild or two with us. It would have no trouble towing our tent trailer. Not so sure about the 500 though.

Where we live, there is a lot of wide open spaces and the distances can be long. I think riding out to the Black Rock desert or Soldier Meadows (from where we live) might be 100 miles or more (not sure). There are very, very few (if any) 50" width limited trails, so we don't necessarily need a machine that can handle narrow trails, but that certainly would be a plus since you never know what you might get into and we definitely like the maneuverability of the 500. I think the only reservation we have with the 500 is whether it is enough machine for our planned use, in terms of size and power, especially for two people with maybe 200 lbs of gear, multi-day overnight trips and very long trail rides and maybe even a 500 lb trailer. If we purchase the 500, I plan to install 1-1.5" wheel spacers and then maybe 26" tires after we wear out the OEM tires.

This will be our very first ATV (other than a Can Am ATV 10 years ago which we barely used). Any advise from experienced riders that addresses the issues I have outlined above would be much appreciated. I would especially appreciate hearing from any riders who have used the Pioneer 500 in the same manner we are contemplating. We are leaning toward the 500, but I can't seem to erase a nagging doubt that it won't be enough machine for our planned use and that we'd be happier with the 1000, even if it is 5-6 grand more money.

TIA

SmokinJoe

Last edited by smokinjoe; 02-02-2017 at 01:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-02-2017, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
did you look at the 700's? If your not a speed demon (doesn't sound like you are) I think the 700's are a very dependable machine, not that the 500's are bad. A 700 4 seater can be used as a 2 seater until the grand kids are there then you'll have seating as needed and it'll pull a load all day long. The only down side is the 42 mph speed limit which for myself (52 years) is not an issue. For me the 500 is too small and I have two dogs that like to ride and the 4 seater roof works great for all of us, and the p1k's came out after I bought mine but I still would have gone with a 700 for the torque converter style trans = bullet proof. heres a pic of mine with 1/2 ton of wood pellets on it.

Red '15 700/4

Last edited by allgm1; 02-02-2017 at 07:38 AM.
post #3 of 11 Old 02-02-2017, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
The reason I eliminated the 700 from consideration were concerns about the lack of a low gear which apparently can become an issue in steep climbs. Perhaps that is such a minor issue that I should reconsider. Not sure. Need to research that issue a little deeper.

post #4 of 11 Old 02-02-2017, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
I've taken mine up north in nh, some pretty steep trails up there and we never had a problem going up any of them. I think most of those problems were the pre2015 models, they have since added a second spark plug and an o2 sensor.

Red '15 700/4
post #5 of 11 Old 02-02-2017, 11:11 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I have a PK5 deluxe. So far about 500 miles no problems. I would look hard at the PK3 and the 700 the 500 is just to small to me. Good luck. Let us know what u get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 11 Old 02-02-2017, 11:20 PM

Smokinjoe you started a thread back in 3/16 saying that you bought a new 500 and had loose battery cover bolts and loose battery cables. And said that you had owned several Honda Atv. Now I'm confused 🤷*♀️

post #7 of 11 Old 02-03-2017, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Ride, then there are two "smokinjoes" because I just discovered and joined this forum about 10 days ago (though looking at my account it erroneously says I joined in March 2016, which is not correct) and I've never owned a Pioneer for any side by side. My inquires about the 500 are legit because I've never owned one and we are looking to purchase either a 500 or a 1000.
post #8 of 11 Old 02-03-2017, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
So, I went to my log-in info and they erroneous show "smokinjoe" as joining in March, 2016. This "smokinjoe" joined about ten days ago (couldn't use the site for a few days after I signed up because it would not accept not accept my password and I had to get a new and difference password). The "smokinjoe" who posted in March 2016 (regarding a lose bolt) is not me. I've sent a message to admin to try and fix this situation. The other "smokinjoe" may well have purchased a 500 in March of 2016, but not me!
post #9 of 11 Old 02-03-2017, 05:33 PM

Lol. I understand. Go with the 700 or 1000

post #10 of 11 Old 02-06-2017, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
The reason I eliminated the 700 from consideration were concerns about the lack of a low gear which apparently can become an issue in steep climbs. Perhaps that is such a minor issue that I should reconsider. Not sure. Need to research that issue a little deeper.
I just did a review on my 2016 700-4, its posted in the review section. I think you should check it out. Also if you go to the 700 general discussion and read my 'need feedback' post, that was one of my biggest concerns as well.

Cheers
Andy

Last edited by along2285; 02-06-2017 at 04:43 PM.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page