2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 06-04-2016, 05:06 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Why does the Air Filter get so dirty?

I had my 700 serviced by the dealer last summer (first service) and put about 400 miles on it during hunting season. I was not driving in dusty conditions, more wet than anything but when I checked the filter this spring it was real dirty with dry leaves in the box, small twigs, dog hair on the foam, and black oily looking dirt all over the filter. I thought I better check my Rubicon because I haven't looked at the filter in three years. It looked new!

The location of the intake doesn't look all that bad. Comments?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-04-2016, 06:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
I noticed they get dirty rather fast as compared to my old foreman also. I bought a second foam element to have around. I keep it in a zip loc baggie (the same one I use to spread the oil around) ready for use. During the summer months I check it every few hundred miles and swap them out as needed. While cleaning my dirty filter the other day, I noticed dog hairs that had one end on the outside of the foam and the other end had been sucked through the foam. I have also seen small leaves in the air box, even a little water (probably from hosing the pioneer off).
bweeden1 likes this.

Red '15 700/4

Last edited by allgm1; 06-04-2016 at 06:54 AM.
post #3 of 13 Old 06-04-2016, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
That's a great idea allGM1, I start doing that too. I looked at the designs where guys re-routed the intake but don't really want to do that. My Golden Retriever sits in the passenger seat quite a bit but was surprised how much dog hair got sucked in there. That 700 must suck a lot of air!

post #4 of 13 Old 06-04-2016, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Garage
You need to clean it every 100 miles I use filter skins so the cleaning is faster you can clean the filter skin 3 times before you have to clean the filter. PC Racing Filter Skins Medium, 3-Pack https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...m=filter+skins
post #5 of 13 Old 06-04-2016, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I like the No Toil filters..they come pre-oiled and in a sealed bag. It sure beats the mess of cleaning and re-oiling of the stock filter. https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/R...led-Air-Filter

Ride like your Life depends on it... because it does.
post #6 of 13 Old 06-05-2016, 08:54 AM

@700 4 thanks for the link to the skins, I've been thinking about ordering a skin or skins, i had looked into k&n, but I think I'll try the ones you linked to. @Rustell cleaning is the only messy part (not really THAT bad) I oil them in a big zip loc bag so i don't even get an oil on my hands til I install it.

Red '15 700/4
post #7 of 13 Old 06-05-2016, 09:30 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Garage
air filter skins

Quote:
Originally Posted by allgm1 View Post
@700 4 thanks for the link to the skins, I've been thinking about ordering a skin or skins, i had looked into k&n, but I think I'll try the ones you linked to. @Rustell cleaning is the only messy part (not really THAT bad) I oil them in a big zip loc bag so i don't even get an oil on my hands til I install it.
I put the skins in a bag with filter oil on the skins after I clean them then they are ready to use it's fast way of cleaning your air filter.
post #8 of 13 Old 07-30-2016, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
RockyMountain doesn't have air filter products for my Honda sxs pioneer 700. I need advice re the oil to use on the foam air filter for my machine. Can I use the K&N air filter oil product which they show being used on paper air filters? Comments?

Last edited by robert9836; 07-30-2016 at 07:27 PM.
post #9 of 13 Old 07-31-2016, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert9836 View Post
RockyMountain doesn't have air filter products for my Honda sxs pioneer 700. I need advice re the oil to use on the foam air filter for my machine. Can I use the K&N air filter oil product which they show being used on paper air filters? Comments?
I dont know about the k&n filter oil, never used it. I use honda's foam filter oil but there are a lot of other options out there. I use it mainly because I bought a bottle of it years ago and have not used it all up yet. The filter skins are a universal type of thing, normally sold in a few different sizes to fit a wide variety of filters. use the ones 700 4 linked to you'll be fine.

Red '15 700/4

Last edited by allgm1; 07-31-2016 at 07:16 AM.
post #10 of 13 Old 07-31-2016, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Garage
I use klotz filter oil. Easy to apply, easy to clean off and catches all the fine particles. Any sticky oil can work on them.
robert9836 likes this.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page