6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 01-15-2017, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Need Feedback!

Ok crew, I am a new member and have been on the fence for at least 2 years. Last spring I decided that when it was time to purchase a machine if was going to be a Honda, but that was the easy part. Now I cannot decide which model is going to suite me best. Before you knock me I have been to the local dealer and checked out/sat in the machines,however they will not let me ride the units (in town with not much room) So I need some real world feedback. Right now my thought is just get the base 700 2 seater as it should do what I would like it to do.

My uses for this machine will be 50% trail riding/mud holes with some friends riding ATV's. 25% carrying loads around my property that may include a loaded trailer, and 25% putting around the property with my wife and son just to be outside. I am in my 30's so hauling ass and jumping things no longer appeals to me. My son is 2 so I dont see any issues with him fitting between us for the next couple years, but here are my concerns;

If we have another kid could I add a roll cage kit and some rear seats to the bed until they are old enough for their own machines, or when my son out gows the ability to fit in between us? (this would only be for out and about on my property, would not be doing serious trail riding with a setup like this) Another part of going with the 2 seater is I would be able to dump stone, mulch, dirt etc into the bed with my tractor, where as a roll cage would prevent me to from being able to do that.

Is the 3 speed transmission usable without the paddle shifters? We ride Haspin Acres in Indiana a lot and there are plenty of moderate/steep hills, would I have issues going with the base 700 relying on the automatic transmission to shift for me in technical, rocky, semi steep (I am kinda girly and afraid of hills now-uh-days)

With no low range does it feel like its lacking power if you get in some thick mud, or pulling a heavy load. I could see me pulling loads of 1200-1600lbs around my property (including trailer weight) on occasion.

I know the options of going up the the delux model and I just dont want to spend the extra coin for that. So you guys out there with this machine, am I going to be a happy camper by buying the base 700 2 seater? Should I go with the 1000 because it will offer more room for me/wife/son without adding a cage if we have no more children? Plus the added power and low range for pulling and hauling loads around my property?

Cheers
Andy

P.S. I feel like I have read every review out there and watched all the youtube videos. I feel like it would be a solid choice but I need to hear from you owners firsthand. Should be buying in the next month or so, look forward to seeing you all out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-17-2017, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
welcome andy, first off I think you have made two go choices so far. 1 you want a honda and 2 you picked a 700. to answer some of your questions, yes you can easily add a roll cage to the back of a two seater, but adding seats would not be feasable as the seats are built into the bed, you'd be better off buying a four seater from the get go.
the 3 speed trans on the '15 700 pioneers (thats what I have) doesn't have paddles so I'm not familair,but I'm almost 100% sure you don't HAVE to use them. I have never had a problem with power on mine, granted I have not had it a-hole deep in mud, but I've climbed some pretty steep hill with out any issuses, just drop the loud peddle and she'll scoot along.
I threw a half ton of pellets in the bed of mine and to move from an out building to the house and it didn't hardly notice it.
other than what I've mentioned the plain jane 2 seater would benefit from power steering, for hard core working I would stick with the 700 as it seems a lot of the 1000's are having clutch issuses. I ride in alot of rough boulder littered trails where i need to just creep along, I just keep my foot on the peddle, just above idle and the 700 creeps up and over no problem. Personally I love my 700, the piece of mind to take it way out in the woods and knowing it will be there for me when it comes time to go home is a real huge plus for me as I normally ride alone,wouldn't take the gift of a 1000 for that reason alone. Heres a pic of mine 1/2 wood pellets on it, rear shock set on one step up from softest setting

Red '15 700/4
post #3 of 12 Old 01-19-2017, 01:03 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I have the PK5 (1000 5 seater deluxe ). So far 500 miles and love it. The 700 is a good machine also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 12 Old 01-26-2017, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
After a lot more reading and a bunch more youtube videos (although I think I was just rewatching) I have made the choice. Will be bringing a 2016 700-4 home tomorrow. Thanks for the input allgm1.

Cheers
Andy
Ridem32 likes this.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-26-2017, 08:46 PM

no problem along, I think you'll be happy with it. don't forget to post some pics.

Red '15 700/4
post #6 of 12 Old 01-28-2017, 06:21 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Was cold as the dickens here in Ohio yesterday with all the wind; but I did take her up and down the road for a little cruise, in and out of some ditches, and around the property some (maybe 2-3 miles). In short I could not be happier, seating position is fantastic for the short wheelbase, lack of power steering was not noticeable, tires seemed to hook up pretty good, and the transmission was epically good.

Cheers
Andy
700 4 and superfan75 like this.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-28-2017, 09:16 AM

Congrats Andy, they can be a little cool to ride this time of year without at least a windsheild. Even better with doors and a heater.

Red '15 700/4
post #8 of 12 Old 01-28-2017, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Looks great I know u happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 12 Old 02-06-2017, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I will be posting a better review in the review section a little later today.

Cheers
Andy
Ridem32 likes this.
post #10 of 12 Old 02-11-2017, 03:24 PM

That is one sweet Rig you got there. Hope you have lots of fun.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page