24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 03-01-2017, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Considering a Pioneer 700-4

My wife and I had a baby girl last fall and are selling my Grizzly 700 and V Star so we can all go riding together ( when our daughter is old enough ). I really like the Pioneer 700-4 since we can all ride together in the same machine and it looks like perfect size for tight narrow trails we have in Vt. I will be using this to brush hog my field which is quite steep and the brush hog is heavy to. I also have a big driveway that I will be plowing in the winter. I've tried to do a lot of reading about this machine and whether it will work good for what I want it for or not and I'm still not sure. Many of the reviews and videos I've found seem to be split about plowing and steep hills. It seems that some say it needs low range because 1st gear isn't low enough while others say it works great and they are very happy with it. I figured that the best advice I can get is from actual owners. I know some may recommend the 1000, but I don't have the budget for it plus I like the size of the 700. Also are there some years to avoid because I can get some 2015 and 2016 holdovers ? So I'm interested in what you guys think.
Ridem32 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 03-01-2017, 11:23 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Garage
I have a big red which is practically the same power plant and driveline as the pioneer. The pioneer has better mapping though giving it a little more power and better shifting.

Plowing snow is no problem, plenty of power for that. I run a 72 inch moose plows and our last bad snow was so heavy I bent the pins that attach it to the machine. I clear a lot of snow with mine and have no problems at all.

I also pull my wood trailer (machine full of wood as well) and the only time I wished for more power was going down the road. Taking off and going through the terrain it has plenty of power to handle the job.

I have powered mine out but stopping and getting a fresh start and it powers through. The torque converter can be tricky at times. Another disclaimer, mine needs overhauled badly. It was abused before I got it and that's one of the last things I need to do.

I do have quite a bit of seat time in the 700 pioneer as well but never really worked one. On the trails and climbing you can tell it has just that little extra compared to the BR so bit should do better on the utility side as well.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Ridem32 and superfan75 like this.
post #3 of 29 Old 03-02-2017, 12:28 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
The 700 pioneer is a great machine. I have the PK1 deluxe 5 seater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
superfan75 likes this.

post #4 of 29 Old 03-02-2017, 07:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
I think you'll find the problems on the hills and lack of power were all old complaints. The '14 model years were lacking a O2 sensor and duel plugs that the '15 and on have. I live in NH, I plow with mine and will say you won't have any problems plowing, the 700 is a beast plowing snow. With an enclosed cab, heat and tunes makes it real fun. So buy with confidence, you'll be fine.
superfan75 likes this.

Red '15 700/4
post #5 of 29 Old 03-02-2017, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Hey thanx for the reply's guy's. That makes me feel a lot better about getting one. I've always had great luck with Honda products and like I say I think the size of the 700-4 will be perfect for what I want. The shorter wheelbase compared to the full size S x S should make it more maneuverable compared to a full sized one and the narrower width will make getting down the tight trails easier. I was also considering a Yamaha Viking if it didn't look like the Pioneer would fit my needs. I also really like Yamaha and my Grizzly has been a great machine. I think with the extra size and weight of a S x S a real tranny has to hold up better than a belt drive. Also the Viking is a bigger machine, but it is about the same price as the Pioneer 700-4. It may be a little while before I actually pull the trigger, but I want to do something before the trails open up in May. There is a dealer that has some hold overs that I should be able to get a good deal on. So I may be on here a lot more. Although I will probably do a bunch of reading anyways to learn what I can about it before I get one. Thanx again guys !!
post #6 of 29 Old 03-02-2017, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Nice Pics Ridem32 !! That's pretty cool.
Ridem32 likes this.
post #7 of 29 Old 03-02-2017, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfan75 View Post
Nice Pics Ridem32 !! That's pretty cool.

Those are not my pic lol

post #8 of 29 Old 03-02-2017, 07:27 PM

post #9 of 29 Old 03-02-2017, 07:29 PM

It was red when I got it new. Bought the white panels for around $250

post #10 of 29 Old 03-03-2017, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
My bad. LOL. I guess I should've said nice pics toodeep. Your Pioneer is sweet Ridem32 !! That 1000 must go awesome.
Ridem32 likes this.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page