LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 10-03-2016, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Final drive and valve clearance check?

Hey guys,

Been lurking around the forums for a while, and brought home a 2016 700 M4 a couple months ago and it's a great machine. I'd like to do the service myself, and while I'm capable I'm definitely not very knowledgeable about machinery in general.

I've seen people suggest that the "final drive" or "final drive fluid" be checked during service, but I haven't seen anything that shows how to do that. A search didn't turn anything up for me, so I thought I'd ask here. I just changed the oil and replaced the stock air filter with a K&N, and it recommended the final drive check but I have no idea how.

And while I'm asking, how do you guys check valve clearances, and what does that do exactly? I've also seen a few folks mention that they do this themselves, so I wanted to ask what was involved.

I'd appreciate any help, thank you!

FF2L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-03-2016, 06:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Pages 123 through 126 of your owner's manual should help you. You may want to research the K&N. Personally I do not like them but then I drive a Duramax and they are not good for diesel engines. But there are some threads out there about the amount of dirt that passes them and gets into the engine.

Last edited by lynn1130; 10-03-2016 at 07:03 PM.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-03-2016, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thank you for the reply. I found that section on the final drive in the owner's manual, thank you. I should have checked there first but I did not even know what that was. I hope that is not true about the K&N Filter because those things are stinking expensive, relative to an oil filter anyway.

post #4 of 6 Old 10-18-2016, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2L View Post
Thank you for the reply. I found that section on the final drive in the owner's manual, thank you. I should have checked there first but I did not even know what that was. I hope that is not true about the K&N Filter because those things are stinking expensive, relative to an oil filter anyway.
Been using K&N air filters on every quad/SxS I've ever owned (10 to be exact) since 2001 w/ great results. Use BelRay fiber filter oil...oil it really good & Outerwears pre-filters (Measuring Guide | Outerwears, Inc) & you'll be fine. Clean & re-oil @ every oil filter change.
Got one on my 2006 Ram 2500 Megacab Cummins diesel (180,000 miles) & all my other Ram 1500 trucks (3). My 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 has 340,000+ miles on it.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-19-2016, 10:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Got one on my 2006 Ram 2500 Megacab Cummins diesel (180,000 miles) & all my other Ram 1500 trucks (3). My 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 has 340,000+ miles on it.
I can't speak for Dodges but between the air filter and the engine on a Duramax is the MAF (mass airflow sensor). Oiled filters spread that oil in, toward the engine and turbo as you drive. That coats the MAF. As the MAF gets dirty the computer adjusts fuel and air to compensate for what it sees at less air. You get bad fuel mileage to start and then it will start throwing codes and run bad. Most every Duramax Web site has threads on this problem and people with messed up MAFs which are crazy expensive.

I also recall reading some comments on one of the UTV sites about engine issues due to dirt passing K&Ns. I cannot verify that as a problem but it is worth a search and if it were me, avoiding the chance of an issue. A good, oiled OEM will do just fine.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-19-2016, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Garage
keep your stock air filter on the 700 it gets dirty fast and the K N will let to much dirt by and damage your pioneer 700. You can put PC filter skins on your stock filter to make cleaning faster. https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...c+filter+skins
bweeden1 likes this.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page