Too deep/ big red trans - Honda Pioneer Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 04-04-2017, 07:12 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Too deep/ big red trans

sank my big red in the fall. i flushed the engine with cheap oil and or diesel at least 10 times. trans has not been going into 3rd ever since. i got the banjo bolt and rigged a gauge and hose to test pressures. i have great pressure on both sides of the valve body. it was over 160 on both sides. then on the bottom of the valve body it got strange. 1st gear = 0 psi. 3rd = 0 psi. 2nd = had 40 psi at an idle then when i hit the gas it shot up then back down to zero. it seems to be locked in 2nd gear and when the pressure fell off you could tell that the clutches were not grabbing. it was jacked up and free spinning. im using my service manuel for my 08 rincon. my BR doesnt have the screen in the dash. just some lights.
i did clean out the valve body a while back but didnt take out the shift valves because i was scared of springs flying out. i did check that the electronic shift actuators do work properly and they do.

i am going to take the valve body apart again and check the shift valves behind those springs. i am also going to check the oil tube area just under the valve body for clogs

what else can i do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-04-2017, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I took the valve body off and apart. I cleaned every part possible including the spring loaded valves inside. I also tested the clutch solenoid and both shift solenoids. All 3 worked when 12v was applied and my clutch tested 6 ohms and both shift solenoids were 16 ohm. i blew out all passages and reassembled it. I also removed the oil feed tubes under the valve body on the front cover. they were clean and clear. It does have good line pressure and engine oil pressure. I didnt check the 1st,2nd,3rd pressures again but i test road it. It grabbed really well in 1st with no slipping then changed to 2nd with no problems. When i was running 2nd up to try for 3rd, it started slipping just before it should have shifted to 3rd. I stopped and put into neutral then back into drive. it grabbed well again in 1st and then shifted into 2nd with no problems but then started slipping. once it starts slipping it wont go back to 1st without hitting neutral 1st.

I am going to run the pressures on 1st,2nd and 3rd again tomorrow and will report my findings.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-04-2017, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Garage
Did you notice if the mil light (top row 4th to the right) is blinking at all at any time? My first thought would be the shift solenoid valves but if they test good possibly the PCM isn't communicating with them. Report the oil pressure findings when you do them again to see if there any changes in the readings.

post #4 of 11 Old 04-05-2017, 07:01 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
no lights on at all. the mill light does blink a pattern if i unplug any of the 3 solenoids so i was guessing that the wires and connections are good.

i was thinking about swapping valvebody parts off of my 08 Rincon to test the BR. what about the PCM? would the rincon computer run the big red for testing purposes? BR has less electronic inputs that the rinny so i have my doubts. i havent compared the plug pattern on the 2 but would guess that they are the same. BR PCM is behind the battery and the Rincon is under the front cowl. i will check out the plug pattern.

i will let you know what the pressures do.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-05-2017, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I haven't tried a Rincon pcm on the br but I doubt it interchanges. I have tried a pioneer pcm on them and it didn't interchange so I'm guessing the br is all on it's own. They are expensive also so I would try everything else first.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
post #6 of 11 Old 04-06-2017, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I swapped the entire valve body assembly and all 3 solenoids off of my 08 rincon. I checked all the part numbers and they are the same. Guess what? I have 3rd gear now!!!! I'm thinking that it must be solenoid A or one of the shift valves in the body. I'm gonna swap solenoid A 1st to see if that's the bad part. It tested good on the bench and ohmed correctly as well so it doesn't make sense to me but I have seen stranger things .

Thank you for the advise and my family will be so happy now that we can all ride.

Honda Power!!!
post #7 of 11 Old 04-11-2017, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Turned out to be the 2/3 shift valve hanging open. It will open against the spring but not return properly some of the time. I ordered both shift valves and springs. Hopefully that fixes the issue as long as the valve body bore isn't damaged.

I really appreciate the expert advice.

Attached is a pic of my 2" snorkel .
Don't want to drown her again!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1491918335398.jpeg
Views:	97
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	37874   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1491918450695.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	37882  
post #8 of 11 Old 04-11-2017, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
That's about all I have had problems with on the rincons and not very many of them. Of course water is another story compared to everyday use. lol

I use a cab enclosure during the winter so I took my snorkel out the roof top. When pushing snow and pulling the wood trailer the snorkel can get kind of loud.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited by toodeep; 04-12-2017 at 07:16 PM.
post #9 of 11 Old 04-17-2017, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
now im having starting issues. i replaced the battery and it still rolls the engine over really slow. it will start sometime and sometime it wont start it. i believe that i need to replace or rebuild the starter. all parts sellers that i have checked so far have options for starter motor #1 and starter motor #2 . option 1 is the same part number as my rincon's (31200-HN8-003) $257 and option 2 is a different number 06311-HL1-305 for $275.

do you know the difference between the 2? witch one is right for mine? its a 09 BR basic model.
post #10 of 11 Old 04-25-2017, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
the difference in the 2 starters for the big red is only the location of the positive wire connection. the cheaper one comes out of the top and the more expensive one ending in 305 has the connection coming out of the rear of the starter.

have you ever used an aftermarket starter on a honda? there is alot out there for around $100 instead of $300.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page