Honda Pioneer Forum banner

Who is ready for turkey season?

6K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  Silvertrd09 
#1 ·
This is my favorite time to hunt. Gobbling turkeys really gets my heart a thumping. I hunt most days of our 4 week season here in WV.

#2 ·
Looking forward to seeing them long beards as well.Trout, Turkey,And afternoon shed hunting is right around the corner.....Yuppys on here don't understand what this time of year is all about.Its the best time to get out to see whats left after hunting season,and get a good look through the thick brush that's been knocked down from winter.Next thing you know the buds will start to pop out and things will be green again.Alot of guys probably don't even take the pioneers out now,cause they might get dirty or tear up them manicured lawns...LOL Me and the dog busted some fuzzy tails out yesterday and one mean bobcat who stoold his ground.:eek:

#8 ·
What calls do you like? What shells/gun combo do you use?

I use a Mossberg 835 and shoot Winchester Longbeard XR 3.5", 2 oz #6 . I get my calls from my friend Joe Slaton in Linden, CA.
Remington 870 in blind,Winchester 1300 turkey fed..For stalking and calling.3 inch Remington express heavy turkey loads.I use a mouth call only when im in close,Mainly slate or acrylic scratch calls.We have a freeking pile of birds in my area.April 23rd its in here in PA.We can only harvest one bird....:(I don't like it as much as deer archery,but its close....:D

#7 ·
I always wanted to hunt turkey, it sounds like it is right up there with deer hunting. The last several years the turkeys have moved north and we have quite a few now, there is talk of a season on them if they get well established here. Anyone know if Maine has a season on them yet?

#12 ·
Im close to union town,When I was a kid Turkeys didn't exist around me.We had to go to Indiana county.to even see the signs.Now its the opposite.Same goes for predators.Coyotes and bobcats are getting cocky around here.They are coming right up to the yard now.I wander what impact the have on turkeys.I have saw the impact on deer.Between the coyotes and the irresponsible PGC we are lucky to have any deer.

#14 ·
Every spring I accidentally mow over a turkey nest or two,sometimes the the turkey stays on the nest and dies too. 15 years ago when I spread cow doo in the winter sometimes over 100 turkeys would come out to pic the corn out of it.

#18 ·
My husband and I are avid turkey hunters and are greatly involved in the National Wild Turkey Federation. We have a cabin in the Delaware State Forest in PA, and last weekend we were surprised at how many turkeys we saw! We can't wait!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.