Honda Pioneer Forum banner

Loading Pioneer 500 into a pickup bed.....

71K views 47 replies 33 participants last post by  brandonb 
#1 ·
Has anyone loaded their new 500 into their pickup bed? If so, what size box? Mine is 6 1/2'

#7 ·
At 50" wide I'm thinking it should drive right in.

#15 ·
I brought mine home from the dealer in the back of my Toyota T100 Super Cab. The bed measures 6'1". With the tailgate open it measures 7'10.5". As you can see the rear wheels rested on the tailgate. My wheel wells are 48" wide but the front tires went right in between them. Everyone at the dealer were taking pictures because they couldn't believe what a perfect fit it was . . .

#16 ·
Hauling Backwards?

Hi. I have bought a fifth wheeler tailgate to make it so that I can haul my Pioneer 500 in my Dodge 2500 with a 8 foot box. I will detach the tailgate for loading and unloading but can attach again after to haul with the tailgate closed. This allows me to haul my Pioneer 500 in the box while pulling my non fifth wheel type trailer. The Pioneer 500 must be loaded backwards in order for this to work. The front bumper of the Honda sticks over the Fifth Wheel Tailgate. This leads me to a question. Will I have problems with wind resistance if I install the Windshield and the Roof? Does anybody have experience with hauling backwards? I'm hoping that tilting the windshield will reduce the drag enough to make this possible?
Ron

Attachments

#18 ·
Hi. I have bought a fifth wheeler tailgate to make it so that I can haul my Pioneer 500 in my Dodge 2500 with a 8 foot box. I will detach the tailgate for loading and unloading but can attach again after to haul with the tailgate closed. This allows me to haul my Pioneer 500 in the box while pulling my non fifth wheel type trailer. The Pioneer 500 must be loaded backwards in order for this to work. The front bumper of the Honda sticks over the Fifth Wheel Tailgate. This leads me to a question. Will I have problems with wind resistance if I install the Windshield and the Roof? Does anybody have experience with hauling backwards? I'm hoping that tilting the windshield will reduce the drag enough to make this possible?
Ron
Welcome to the forum!

#19 ·
Thanks for the reply's. If it works for CT110 it should work for me. I don't think the 700 windshields are all that much different than the 500's at least as far as I can tell looking at pictures on the Honda site. Anyhow it looks like I have lots of time to decide as the Dealers around me don't have any accessories yet for the Pioneer 500!

#21 ·
I can load mine front forward also, but I want to be able to travel with a closed tailgate. The only way I could load front forward and still close the tailgate would be if I removed the front bumper from the SxS. Not sure if I could still do this when the winch is installed.
Ron

#22 ·
Ron I see what you're getting after and am very interested in this scenario as well keep me posted on how it works out. I don't have a travel trailer yet but this was a deciding factor on the purchase. We want to haul a camper from the receiving hitch and haul the p500 in the bed of the truck. I was hoping to be able to leave the tailgate down though. Can you modify the trailer hitch? Relocate the jack?

#26 ·
Pioneerwv as far as I know you would have to extend the hitch receiver in order to haul a trailer with the tailgate down. At least on my holiday trailer that means that the tailgate would hit the trailer jack and the propane tanks. The best option for me that I could find was to load backwards with the tailgate off and be able to close the Fifth Wheel Tailgate and have the Front bumper protrude above the Fifth Wheel Tailgate. I also used a 2X8 at the front of the box to keep the P5 muffler away from the rear window of the pickup. I did try loading frontwards but I was just a tiny bit too short for my box. It's important to me to be able to close the tailgate and stop any stuff from falling out of the pickup.

#43 ·
hi, i'm trying to find as much info as i can, on this good forum.
i owned Honda since i'm young, i bought a Polaris Ranger 400 2010, 3 year ago and miss Honda reliability.

does the P5 doors need to be removed (or strapped) each time load in truck?
and never seen how theses doors open? 2 steps?

thanks

#24 ·
I would try to raise the front end a little to see if it would bring it in enough to close the tailgate. It doesn't look like it would take much to get there. If traveling long distances you never know when the stress on the windshield might fatigue things.

#27 · (Edited)

No problem what so ever fitting into the back of a pickup box 6 1/2'. I believe that was the idea Honda had was to make it trail and pickup friendly. Rear tires as mentioned do sit on tailgate. Machine is secured with four tie down straps and I use two boat fenders/bumpers tied to the front bumper of the machine to act as a cushion between the machine and the front of the pickup box in case of sudden stops. Not pretty but effective in keeping the machine from coming thru the back window!!

#28 ·
It fits in F-150 short box

With the tailgate down, and a 3/4" sheet of plywood to spread the weight and tailgate bar supports installed to reinforce that area. I utilize 4 Cabela's retractable 10' straps to secure the machine in the box. The rear tires of the machine are on the tailgate. Bonus! No one tailgates me on the road.

Attachments

#44 ·
With the tailgate down, and a 3/4" sheet of plywood to spread the weight and tailgate bar supports installed to reinforce that area. I utilize 4 Cabela's retractable 10' straps to secure the machine in the box. The rear tires of the machine are on the tailgate. Bonus! No one tailgates me on the road.
Is this the 5.5' short bed? How's it been holding up?

#33 ·
I load my 500 in the 6 1/2' bed of an 03 Tundra with no issues and my Tires/Rims are 1" wider than stock. Tires are on the end of the Tailgate. I put a 1x6" board by the Rear Window to use as a protector and use a pair of 8 foot 2x8" under the tires to help distribute the weight OFF of the Tailgate (Can't imagine what would happen if the Tailgate Cables break. I've also learned to Strap my Ramps to the truck when loading. I had to load in 2-wheel drive as my Linkage was froze after a few hours stuck in a 3 foot waterhole and the left rear tire kicked out the Ramp (Wasn't a very fun-filled day LOL )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.