Honda Pioneer Forum banner

EMP Rear Bumper install issue

10K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  T in Texas 
#1 · (Edited)
I bought the EMP-12494 rear bumper for my P700-2 and I can't install it because the brackets hit the frame below the tailgate pivot and will not lay flat against the pivot to bolt up. Have any of you guys had this problem? I included a picture of what I am talking about. The square frame underneath the tailgate pivot is not shown in the photos included in the instructions. The replacement pivot keeper bolts in the kit will barely reach a thread and cannot pull the bracket in place. Beating it out straighter will change the position of the bracket to where the bumper won't line up.

I bought it from sidebysidesports.com and of course they directed me to EMP for support. After several calls back and forth, EMP has not offered any option to fix or replace the brackets and said I will just have to RMA it. Now I'm stuck with return shipping costs to send a bumper back to California.

Not happy with EMP right now.

**Squank

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I remember someone having that problem last year Squank but don't recall who or which manufacturer it was. I seem to recall they made their own bracket. Strange EMP doesn't have the proper bracket that will work by now and send you the right one, that is not very good support!

#4 ·
I bought the bumper thru SideBySideSports.com because it was $206 + Free Shipping. The same thing from EMP was $220 + shipping. Now, having the third party involved is how they are ditching me as if it's not their problem. Not just poor support - NO support.

#6 ·
Looks like that is what I will have to do too. I'd rather do that than try and bend it, which is what they suggested.

So there is a fix that EMP could provide. You call with this issue, they send you out a couple of custom spacers and everybody is happy. I don't understand how doing nothing at all is even an option, but hey - lesson learned. Won't happen again.

#7 ·
Squank:

I installed this same bumper on my 2014 Honda (2) Pioneer and it looks great ! What you must know ahead of time is that
you must take the sides of the rear/flip bed in order to istall this bumper. EMP won't tell you this, why, is anybody's guess.
Once you take the bed apart, the bumper should install in about 1/2 to 3/4 hour. If you need any further help call me at
(814) 428-2754 and ask for Jeff. Good Luck !

#8 ·
I appreciate the offer, but my instructions included the requirement to remove bed sides. Couldnt easily locate the plug to disconnect them from the wiring, but propped them out of the way while I was working on it.

My problem is the portion of the bracket that the tailgate pin goes thru, ie the top section of the bracket with the two holes in it, is not long enough so when you put the tailgate pin thru the bracket and then attempt to install the keeper bolt behind it, the bracket comes in contact with the metal frame below the tailgate hinge and will not line up vertically flat so you can bolt it in.

If that had worked correctly, I would have been done in about 20 minutes. As it is, the bracket has to be re-bent somehow or I will fab some 2-hole spacers to fit behind the bracket at the tailgate pin so it moves it out away from the frame enough to line up.

If you look closely at the pic I included with the original post, you can see what I'm talking about. The bend in the bracket hits the frame and it will not line up to bolt up.

#12 ·
After backing into a tree and putting a huge bend in my factory rear bumper, I researched alternatives but decided to buy another factory one and insert a 1.5" diameter, .188" wall pipe into it for increases strength. I ordered it cut 49" long. 49.5" might have been perfect...not sure. But I will silicone the ends to keep it tight in there. If I hit something hard enough to mess up the mounting brackets, I have the new ones as spares.

https://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?id=283&step=2&top_cat=197

#14 ·
I ended up making some hard rubber spacers and getting it to work. Had to buy longer keeper bolts too. I like the bumper well enough from a looks and functionality standpoint. I just wish EMP had fabbed the spacers instead of me having to do it. "Oh well, send it back" is not a great option when you have to pay return shipping.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.