11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 27 Old 01-07-2016, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom Proctor View Post
I don't understand your question? I know the africa twin is supposed to have the same basic engine as the pioneer 1000.... not sure about tranny...but both have way different applications and uses. I know absolutely nothing about motorcycles....don't want to.
The same setup is used in a high performance motorcycle that I am sure is engineered for over a 100 thousand miles, so I would think this power train would provide at least 50 thousand in the p1000.
Ransom Proctor likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 Old 01-22-2016, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I expect mine to last quite a while. I mean it's designed to haul 1000lbs in the bed or pull 2000lbs even though I will very seldom if ever have those conditions. The dual clutch trans is not a new concept, it has been used in cars for quite a few years.

I understand things can happen but how many transmissions have you put in your car or truck that failed prematurely. I try to look on the up side, just me.
post #13 of 27 Old 01-22-2016, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I think if properly maintained and not abused it should last a long time. Add large tires, other mods and a heavy foot and the life will drastically be reduced on any machine even a honda. I've been lucky with automobiles and powersports toys and never had a transmission failure of any kind. I did read on one of the other honda side by side forums that a few have had troubles burning clutches on the dct in reverse. saying the reverse is to high geared, but i really think most of that is operator error. if i want to burn the belt on my ranger, i can do it very easily, but i don't because i have common sense and know not to pull a 1000 pound trailer in high gear.
Bigworm likes this.

Ransom Proctor

2014 Grizzly 700
2013 Ranger 900XP
2008 Sportsman 500
2009 Honda Recon ES
2006 Predator 90

post #14 of 27 Old 01-22-2016, 10:05 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
My buddy put 60,000 miles on his 1992 4WD Polaris. That was 3,000 miles a year for 20 years. It had chain drive front and rear. Lots of maintenance but no major failures. My 08 Teryx is on the third owner and has over 18,000 miles now. It gets a new belt every 4,000 to 5,000 miles and a belt drive rebuild one time. Probably going to need a complete new belt drive soon. Honda will take a lot of sales from the belt drive models. There will be a lot of used RZR's for sale as the Sport Hondas come out. Belt drive in a 100 hp Sport model is the biggest problem for the guys that drive them hard. The Yamaha YXZ is on my want list and their 2017 model probably will be too. My 2012 RZR 570 blew a weight out of the belt drive and my 2013 Ranger 900 had a belt drive failure at about 3,000 miles and I know how to make a belt drive live. One thing is for sure Honda set a very high standard with the 6 speed DCT.
post #15 of 27 Old 01-22-2016, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I think you're right. Honda will take sales from Polaris because they're innovating and are bringing products to market people want. But you make my point. Why would Honda build a 100000 mile dct when you can get 18000 miles out of a much cheaper and less complex cvt in your teryx. Most consumers don't ride 8000 let alone 18000 miles on a side by side in the machines entire life.
I think the new Yamaha yxz 1000 is an awesome concept but is only usable in wide open areas and dunes so it will have limited success. The great thing about a cvt (take the new rzr S 1000 as an example) it can be trail ridden in tight places or a wide open dune runner. It can be driven by a novice rider or hardcore trail rider. The yxz can't be trail ridden by anyone except an experienced driver, with its sequential transmission. I believe that will keep potential buyers away from it. Yet that still doesn't take away the fact that it too is a very innovative machine.
post #16 of 27 Old 01-23-2016, 10:28 PM

I agree the YXZ will have a limited market and be hard to drive for many. Belt drive is easy but it does require a lot of maintenance with the miles and most are costly to rebuild. Yamaha being the easiest but they have low 47 hp engines. Add up the belt change cost on the Teryx and its needed every 4,000 to 5,000 miles. You have to remove the gas tank and the John Deere and Can-Am are also a pig to work on.
post #17 of 27 Old 02-24-2016, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I'm not a member on any of the other Honda Side by Side forums but I do on occasion see what people are saying about the new Pioneer 1000, and it seems their are some transmission issues and quality control issues from the factory. I will be very anxious to see how these are taken care of by honda. I was very interested in buying one this summer or fall, but I am kind of taking pause.

Ransom Proctor

2014 Grizzly 700
2013 Ranger 900XP
2008 Sportsman 500
2009 Honda Recon ES
2006 Predator 90
post #18 of 27 Old 02-24-2016, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Garage
I've seen a few that had clutch problems. Of course they are running big. heavy mud tires or the one backed up a long steep hill and my guess was starved the motor of oil because of the incline. I never did see the follow up on those though since it was FB and you just move on to the next post.
post #19 of 27 Old 02-24-2016, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I see this transmission being a great thing for honda or an achilles heel until some kinks can be worked out......I know I know, I've heard this isn't new technology, but it is new in this type of high hp, heavy off road vehicle. It is expensive and complex. With that comes positives and negatives. Positives being if properly maintained and driven within expected norms it should last a long time. But negatives that if not maintained and pushed to its limits and out of norms could be an expensive lesson. Your average shade tree mechanic will not be able to work on it like many guys can work on or mod their cvt's. I think their was a perception by some at first because honda built it and they have a reputation for reliability and durability that it could take what ever punishment it was dealt. But the reality of how customers drive (mud pits) and modify these things (big tires and lifts) coupled with an engine that produces enormous power it could be a recipe for disappointment and much expense.

I would hope honda would have tested their side by side on steep inclines because it is an off road vehicle and they could expect their customers to drive them in those situations. But for the most part, a lot of the complaints i've read about are poor quality control at the factory and poor dealer prep.

Ransom Proctor

2014 Grizzly 700
2013 Ranger 900XP
2008 Sportsman 500
2009 Honda Recon ES
2006 Predator 90
post #20 of 27 Old 02-24-2016, 09:06 PM

The mud riding with huge tires will break things for sure. I couldn't wait on the Honda Sport models and bought the Yamaha YXZ. I really like it but will use it for my high speed long rides. For the low speed tough stuff I will use my Honda. 1st gear is high and it needs 5 to 6 mph on mild hills to avoid bogging the engine. Steep hills require 10 to 11 mph. Starting off on a hill is difficult and many owners will have to abuse the clutch. I don't stop on a hill because it harder on all drive systems. I expect Yamaha will have a low geared 2017 model. Oh and I just sold my 2011 RZR 900 with a bit over 11,000 miles.
Butch likes this.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page