buying a 2018 pioneer 1000 5 - Honda Pioneer Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 08-14-2018, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
buying a 2018 pioneer 1000 5

I cant decide about getting one, i like the fact 5 people can fit in, but am concerned about the heating issue, and not easy to service,
not big fan of 6 speed trany, can some tell me how good the transmition is going on the trails, we have small trails so speeding is not something am looking for? is shifting up and down on the trail jumpy?
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-15-2018, 03:20 PM

Don't do it

I have had my Honda 2018 1000 at the Dealer since Last Friday with the heat problem. I got one phone call from Honda from an IDIOT that told me I needed to get the comfort heat kit installed. I said to her that I thought the 18's already had that. She then looked it up and said I was right. The heat from the seat , behind the seat and coming out of the dash is terrible. Don't buy anything that the engine is under the seat !!!!!!
post #3 of 10 Old 08-15-2018, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I guess I will wait for the 2019 to see if they fixed the issue, no other machine I can find will take 5.
Yamaha may come with one?
Thanks

post #4 of 10 Old 09-04-2018, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Danemich, any luck with the machine?
post #5 of 10 Old 09-13-2018, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryston View Post
I cant decide about getting one, i like the fact 5 people can fit in, but am concerned about the heating issue, and not easy to service,
not big fan of 6 speed trany, can some tell me how good the transmition is going on the trails, we have small trails so speeding is not something am looking for? is shifting up and down on the trail jumpy?
thanks
I cannot think of any reason that a fully automatic or manual transmission with paddle shifters with high or low range options would not be better than ANY SXS that is belt drive?
When brand new/ before break-in the trans in full auto mode IS a little too positive when it shifts up or down automatically until over 100 hours and the first transmission oil and filter change but since it has manual mode and paddle shifters then it shifts very sweet up or down without issues. The more the miles accumulate the nicer it shifts.
If you don’t want to drive it fast then just use “Low Range” it will crawl along effortlessly. (Using all 6 speeds)
There is no worries about your drive belt failing out in the middle of nowhere EVER.

Of course the Yamaha has a manual transmission also but it is geared WAY TO HIGH from the factory. They do make an optional low geared sub transmission to make them more reasonably geared but at the same time your going to need the optional heavy duty clutch. All that is around another $ 5-8,000.00 with labor and it still only a 5 spd.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-25-2018, 01:34 PM

I have a question in regards to the 1000 as I too looking at picking up one. Was curious is the 1000 in terms of power worth the extra money? I would be hauling 3 adults and with camp gear etc and hunt in some pretty rough steep rocky terrain. Would I need the 1000 or will 700 suffice. thanks
post #7 of 10 Old 09-25-2018, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Garage
You could probably get bu with the 700 but the extra size of the 1000 will make it more comfortable and stable. The high low range would be another positive factor. Of course the power is going to help a lot with a full load.

Not knowing how much gear, size of adults and the terrain I would definitely recommend the 1000 with the info given.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
post #8 of 10 Old 11-01-2018, 04:19 AM

Anybody know if the 2019 models have the heat issue? From what I read is some have experienced heat issues and some have not had any heat issues from previous models. I'm in the market of buying another SxS and like the Pioneer 1000-5 but I'm also looking at the Viking VI, Can-Am Defender HD10 MAX. My uses will be joy riding, trail riding, very little mud riding, hope to travel over to East Tennessee and ride and Royal Blue sometimes.
post #9 of 10 Old 11-05-2018, 12:02 AM

I pulled the trigger on a 1000-5 deluxe recently and love it so far! Just have turned over 100 miles of not being babied and I think this machine will last me a long time. I find it shifting often but it isnt jumpy or a problem for me usually, and if so i use the manual mode which i really appreciate having since coming from an 02 500 Suzuki atv that was manual (i love being able to control the gears) i find myself driving with one hand and the other on the top of my bench seat and enjoy the heat I feel coming up this time of year. I am wondering how bad it will be in summer but cant imagine its miserable like I've heard bc you will have so much air flow. Anyway I would not be afraid of any 4wheeler with the honda name on it. Btw my AMI trained mechanic friend said he would stay away from any can am for several reasons but the splines on the axles are very short for the amount of space that could have had splines and he sees alot of stripped axles on those machines. Also said stay away from the kaw. Teryx. Poorly designed machine in his words
post #10 of 10 Old 11-05-2018, 12:10 AM

I forgot to mention I am mainly riding on narrow widened atv trails that are also usually slow depending on driver and experience but IMO in low range the pioneer feels like a kubota rtv which will be great for working it holds in gears longer and revs higher, while high range feels like the more than capable sporty sxs I was looking for that will go ahead and shift up and haul ass in a higher gear up the trail and hill climb in front of the brother in laws razr turbo. So I feel as if I have the best of both worlds! Kudos Honda! No suprise there right. I have learnt they all have pro's and cons, it's just deciding what suites your needs best. My machine isnt the fastest with the best suspension like the aforementioned rzr, but it is a jack of all trades that can handle it's own which I more than appreciate. Goodluck

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page