Honda Pioneer Forum banner

Why TWO TRANSMISSIONS??

7K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  mlynch001 
#1 ·
Got a thousand Baja miles on my 2018 Pioneer 1000-5 now and am loving it!

But, can anybody explain to me why Honda needed to put TWO separate TRANNYS in it? I have been asked that question a lot and I haven't a clue! I am a little tired of answering that I haven't any idea why that is.

Rides smoother than my Rhino.
Better mileage than my Rhino even though it is heavier
A lot quieter than my Rhino and cannot hear the whine outside the vehicle (why does it have to whine??)

#2 ·
The vehicle has one transmission.

Perhaps you and your questioners are referring to the dual-clutch?

If so, that is part of the one and only transmission. You should look it up if you want to understand how it works - which is pretty cool, BTW.

In short, a dual clutch transmission enables near-instantaneous shifts between gears by allowing the next gear to be pre-selected, so that shifting gears is just a matter of disengaging one clutch while simultaneously engaging the other clutch.

#3 ·
Theres also the sub transmission for the high, low, neutral, reverse and park. To compare it to a rhino, the main transmission would be like the belt drive system and the sub would be considered the transmission in that machine.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

#4 ·
d the transmission in that machine.
Got a thousand Baja miles on my 2018 Pioneer 1000-5 now and am loving it!

But, can anybody explain to me why Honda needed to put TWO separate TRANNYS in it? I have been asked that question a lot and I haven't a clue! I am a little tired of answering that I haven't any idea why that is.

Rides smoother than my Rhino.
Better mileage than my Rhino even though it is heavier
A lot quieter than my Rhino and cannot hear the whine outside the vehicle (why does it have to whine??)
This is because the engine was originally designed for a chain drive Motorcycle (the Africa Twin 1000) it also had no reverse, no high and low range. The motorcycle gearing would have been too high for a SxS and you would not want a SxS without a reverse. There is no room inside the cases for adding these features and they did not want to redesign the entire transmission, so the Sub- Trans was the best solution. Honda has used this same scheme for decades, going back to the 70's with the Trail 90/110, the ATC90/110/125 and several other models. It makes perfect sense to use this setup. I cannot imagine a Pioneer 1000 without a "Low" range, it would be worthless on tough trails.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.