post #1 of 8 Old 12-23-2018, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2018 Pioneer 500 shifting concern

Hi all

https://www.hinshawsmotorcyclestore....=xNewInventory

I test drove it today. I do not understand something. It kicks like a mule, with loud bang, every time it shifts gears, matter not in Auto or in Manual mode.
Sales guy told me "it's just new". That's what his techs told him. When inquired, he also told me they been selling those since 2014 and didn't even have one come back for repairs yet.

So what is that I am missing? Does it go away in few weeks or something? I'd like to have side by side, that's about right price range. I'd rather not go with quad.

What do you say?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-24-2018, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Garage
They shift hard when new or when they are cold (first use of the day). Once they get broke in and the clutch gets adjusted they are better but you still notice it being a manual transmission. It's nothing to worry about and they do get better with use.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
ukrkoz likes this.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-24-2018, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Yep, got it..

What actually POs me is that MULTIPLE reviewers online do not say a single word about hard shifts. Like as if they do not exist. So much for reviews value.

post #4 of 8 Old 02-02-2019, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I talked to a woman who has an 2018 500 with 200 miles on it she said it doesn,t shift right also. When I see her again I,m going to ask her if its shifting any better I last talked to her 2 mths ago.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-26-2019, 09:34 PM

I believe you are pretty observant. Mine shifted pretty much as you described. I think the clutches need to break in because after about 50 miles mine shifted completely different. I enjoy shifting manual and speed control with the throttle is excellent.
There is a clutch adjustment and the service guy told me that the adjustment procedure is in the manual. I had that same adjustment in my previous Rancher with push button shifting. Believe me, you will love the P5, its a great machine, its a Honda. How many of those old 3 wheeler are still running around and parts are not an issue for those old machines. Chet
post #6 of 8 Old 10-01-2019, 10:53 PM

Agreed. Just bought a 2018. New, it shifted hard! Got almost 50 miles on it now. Shifting is just "click". Much better!
post #7 of 8 Old 10-02-2019, 11:58 PM

Gary, Tell that lady that she has a warranty. If it's not shifting right, get it into the dealer to correct.
This is the second Honda that I have had with electric shift. I beat the crap out of the Rancher and the guy that bought it still has it and has no issues. My 2018 Pioneer 500 is auto and paddle shift. I really like to use the paddles because I can control the speed and power level much better. I just love the control of the speed by the throttle. I use the brake very little.
Wife and I just rode a trail that is all rock and steep up and down. Going up in first gear 2-3 mph without shaking us apart.
Same down hill without using the brake for speed control. Such a great machine.
post #8 of 8 Old 10-05-2019, 06:29 AM

I hope to see her this winter so I can ask her how the 500 is shifting with some miles on it I'm very curious myself. I talked to the dealer were I bought my bruteforce he sells Honda also and said that's just the way they shift.

User Tag List