4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 05-15-2014, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Pioneer 500 Gearbox

Gearbox of the new Pioneer 500 is the most interesting bit for me. Paddle shifters Still not really sure if its a manumatic or DCT, they do have a competent motorcycle DCT but again not sure if it works in this application, nor if it even is...

Quote:
Power is transmitted to the wheels through a five-speed gearbox with reverse that uses an electric shift system featuring paddle shifters mounted on the steering wheel. Pull the paddle on the right side for upshifts, or pull the paddle on the left for downshifts. The familiar layout and function of this system is similar to what’s found in Honda automobiles and provides the driver with a fun recreation feature and useful gear control for work. Reverse is easily engaged via a dash-mounted lever, and gear position is displayed on the centrally located digital meter for convenient reference. Shift engagement from one gear to the next in the Pioneer 500 is notably smooth, thanks to a shock-absorbing judder spring in the clutch assembly and a momentary fuel cut during shifts that helps smooth the transition from one gear to the next—two innovative bits of Honda bright-think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 05-17-2014, 07:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
It's an ES, not a DCT. It has a new clutch design that allows shifting without letting off the throttle.
post #3 of 22 Old 05-17-2014, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is it 4x4 with locking front??

post #4 of 22 Old 05-17-2014, 09:37 PM

It is a 4x4 but no locking front. Most of the time a front locker is not needed. I have yet to use the one on my ATV.
post #5 of 22 Old 05-17-2014, 09:49 PM

Garage
Unhappy

Then all you have is a 3 wheel drive... That's a no go for me. Cant use what ya don't have.
post #6 of 22 Old 05-17-2014, 10:40 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
I have used 4 lock a lot would of been stuck a lot if pioneer didn't have it..

post #7 of 22 Old 05-18-2014, 09:24 AM

yea that does kind of suck
post #8 of 22 Old 05-18-2014, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Agree on the front diff lock, I used mine quite a bit this past winter, and STILL got stuck. Also been helpful pulling a loaded trailer in the forest.
post #9 of 22 Old 05-18-2014, 06:27 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Garage
OK....my .02...
I've been riding quads/SxS since about 1989 or thereabouts.. The Pioneer is the 1st i've ever had with a diff lock.

I can't say that not having one ever stopped me from getting where i was going on a quad...but it certainly made the task much harder. Keep in mind i am not a mudder...or a hardcore rock-crawler, for either of which a locker is mandatory. Also, a locker has a clear advantage when pulling loads that are right on the limit of what the machine can do ( traction wise ).

Now, i am fully convinced a SxS is a different animal. I have already used diff lock to extract myself from a several situations where the Pioneer was only digging holes otherwise. When a quad gets stuck, you can manipulate it a lot of times and get it out...but when a much-heavier SxS gets stuck....it's REALLY hard to get it going again. To me, any SxS...even one meant only for casual trail riding...has to have a locker.

As for me personally, there is the principle of this. Every other SxS has one. Honda last year acknowledged that this is what the people want by finally putting it on the Foreman and the new Pioneer. Now, for reasons that mystify me, the new 50" machine from Japan i have been waiting for doesn't have one.
Is cost an issue? I'd gladly pay the extra $500-1000 for this machine with a locker. Of course, then there is the matter of 24" tires and 1994 spec suspension...but that is a topic for another thread. I wouldn't care what the specs say...if it works well.

Now, i have been thinking about something. The new 500 seems largely based on the 500 Foreman, which has a locking diff. I have never seen one in person.
Looking at what pics we can find of the innards of the 500P, it looks like it uses a different front diff then the old Honda limited slip diffs. Looks much wider...in fact, it could well be the same one used on the 700. If that's the case, $500 or so gets you a brand new locking, drop in diff for the 500...if all the spline counts are the same. All you have to do is rig up a shifter for the lock and not kill yourself. If not from the 700, then maybe from the Foreman...which i believe is electric..

I haven't paid much attention over the last few years, but in my experience, Honda re-uses diffs often. I don't see then tooling up an all-new diff just for the 500. It would be easier to just omit the locking parts, block them off with a blank plate, and give you an open diff. So there could well be a way to lock the 500 with factory parts. Time will tell....and maybe TooDeep can elaborate on this.

Last edited by DG Rider; 05-18-2014 at 06:45 PM.
post #10 of 22 Old 05-18-2014, 07:49 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Garage
Actually....looking at pics, it looks like the 500P has a different front diff than the Foreman or pioneer. Oh well....

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page