LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 322 Old 06-29-2014, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondabob View Post
Hoblik I wanted one but too many problems. Its better then Polaris but watch the oil cooler lines. They can blow off the engine. The hose clamps on the oil lines are a poor way of connecting. The oil pressure is high cold about 120 psi and about 90 psi warmed up. Check the shop manual to verify the oil pressure and make sure the dealer has updated the hose clamps. Watch the forum for problems, some have boiled over. I think its going to be the leader is the 50 inch sport market.
i double clamped those lines as soon as i brought it home. i read about that issue when i was researching them. i plan on just putting an fittings and lines on it so it will never be an issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 322 Old 06-29-2014, 11:42 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Dg

I couldn't agree more!! I've bought plenty of powersports and this was my worst decision ever!! And the Pioneer had a lot of UPSIDE. The price alone was a bargain and being 4 seats was awesome. I thought this would be my do all utv. Best of all world's I could go hunting and still to trail riding with the family. I just wish I had a farm or Ranch to use this thing.

Next time we ride or when we hunt I'll definitely post some videos for the non believers about the pioneers Hill climbing ability. Don't be shocked!! Hahaha

2015 Polaris Ranger 900 Crew EPS Sunset Red
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4 OD Green Happily Sold
2004 Ducati 998s Final Edition
2009 Honda Trx 700xx
2015 Polaris Rzr 170
post #23 of 322 Old 06-29-2014, 11:44 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I will say the pioneer is not the most powerful sxs I've been in and I would like more power also but on the other hand I ride one of the roughest mountains in Oklahoma and ride mainly with rzr's and I go up and through everything they do. The hills are steep, rocky and very rutted from the monster jeeps. After reading about the power problems I took me, the wife and two kids up stuff I never should have tried just to see and only the very steep hills with major rocks gave me any problems. I would like more power but I can go anywhere I need in the pioneer so far.

post #24 of 322 Old 06-30-2014, 12:03 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Garage
I want to be clear here: I don't take exception to the Pioneers HP...in fact, i am fine with it. I ride casually in sight-seeing mode. But i have never been shy about climbing a scary hill.

We all know that the 3-speed in the Pioneer has a tall 1st gear. The torque converter does a good job of covering it....until you go higher. At that point, it looses enough power that it can't pull that 1st in tough situations.

What it needs is a lower 1st or low range. Reverse is lower geared than 1st, and i can only imagine what it would be like to have it as a 1st gear. And that's the damnable misery....knowing what this machine could have been had somebody bothered to explore it's capabilities and shortcomings. At this point i would gladly trade some top speed for some type of gear reduction...yet it may never come.

Most of you are low enough that this never becomes a problem, but there are a significant number of riders that will discover this as time goes by and more of these things get out there.

Like most of you, i am a life-long Honda guy. Everything i buy has to surpass the "Honda" test in some way, or i end up buying a Honda. I heard the grumblings about the Big Red ( and lesser extent, the Rincon ) about not pulling tough situations. I ignored this as being mud guys with huge tires....Honda couldn't possibly be stupid enough to build something that works only at the SC test track.

I am now telling you that i was wrong, and its a tough, bitter, expensive pill to swallow. I wish i were like most of you....in places where the Pioneer works great, but high altitude riding is a way of life here in central AZ, and the Pioneer struggles with that. What could have been....
Moler, somethingnuw and troper93 like this.

Last edited by DG Rider; 06-30-2014 at 06:35 AM.
post #25 of 322 Old 06-30-2014, 01:00 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
I'm with DG, I don't need a power house, just a lower **** gear. Fed up with powering out going up steeper hills.

Reverse gear does seem to be bit lower geared. If I power out I have backed up it with better luck, but how silly that is.

Being a dedicated Honda fan only, I'm stuck with it. My only other choice would be selling it for two new Rubicons.
post #26 of 322 Old 06-30-2014, 01:20 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
its just crazy to me, I've never owned anything that would power out. everything else would dig holes before it would sit still at wide open throttle
Put79 and somethingnuw like this.
post #27 of 322 Old 06-30-2014, 01:21 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
oh BTW, anyone interested in a winch mount for a Pioneer lol. i got a brand new one in box sitting here. $30
post #28 of 322 Old 06-30-2014, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I bought the 700 2 for the about 140 pounds lighter weight. I still have my RZR 900 for riding with my fast driving buddies. The Pioneer works great with the big tires on my long solo rides. Honda should have Sport models and probably anytime this year. It takes about 5 years to develop and test an all new model so it time now. Yamaha will have a Sport model within a year so I can drive my RZR another 10,000 miles if necessary. The guys willing to give up a bit of ground clearance can use 24 inch tires for a lower gear. There should be a lot of cheap take offs from the Pioneer 500.
post #29 of 322 Old 06-30-2014, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoblick View Post
i double clamped those lines as soon as i brought it home. i read about that issue when i was researching them. i plan on just putting an fittings and lines on it so it will never be an issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG Rider View Post
I want to be clear here: I don't take exception to the Pioneers HP...in fact, i am fine with it. I ride casually in sight-seeing mode. But i have never been shy about climbing a scary hill.

We all know that the 3-speed in the Pioneer has a tall 1st gear. The torque converter does a good job of covering it....until you go higher. At that point, it looses enough power that it can't pull that 1st in tough situations.

What it needs is a lower 1st or low range. Reverse is lower geared than 1st, and i can only imagine what it would be like to have it as a 1st gear. And that's the damnable misery....knowing what this machine could have been had somebody bothered to explore it's capabilities and shortcomings. At this point i would gladly trade some top speed for some type of gear reduction...yet it may never come.

Most of you are low enough that this never becomes a problem, but there are a significant number of riders that will discover this as time goes by and more of these things get out there.

Like most of you, i am a life-long Honda guy. Everything i buy has to surpass the "Honda" test in some way, or i end up buying a Honda. I heard the grumblings about the Big Red ( and lesser extent, the Rincon ) about not pulling tough situations. I ignored this as being mud guys with huge tires....Honda couldn't possibly be stupid enough to build something that works only at the SC test track.

I am now telling you that i was wrong, and its a tough, bitter, expensive pill to swallow. I wish i were like most of you....in places where the Pioneer works great, but high altitude riding is a way of life here in central AZ, and the Pioneer struggles with that. What could have been....
I could have said it any better myself. I feel the same way as DG.
post #30 of 322 Old 06-30-2014, 04:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
So its a gearing thing and not something that could be remedied with a pipe and a remap? Ive read some posts about folks swapping out the exhaust and getting back performance they had thought was poor torque. Mine doesn't come in until the end of July but its going to be used a lot to travel up and down a steep cart path to and from the boat dock on my lake lot. It's not rough but pretty steep in places. No altitude to speak of here in AL. My dealer isn't gonna like me at all if this thing wont pull a hill with 2 adults and some gear in it.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page