Should I buy a Pioneer? - Page 10 - Honda Pioneer Forum
 37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 99 Old 07-29-2014, 01:20 AM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Not saying use a tranny like one in the pioneer. I am sure polaris can make a tranny to fit their SxS. Yes they have a bad rep, but i ain't saying it first hand like i know all about them cause i haven't had a polaris since 1998. Only ride in and driven a Polaris SxS. Never have owned one of there sport SxS. Would a Polaris be good for me driving in a lot of rivers and watery mud? I really want a sport SxS for trail riding but like i said for the money i am worried about the quality of polaris which is a legit worry. I have seen a lot of belt drive SxS mess up in rivers that's all. And i notice a lot of the drivers of belt drive SxS avoid rivers when i am at the atv park. Not bashing i just have legit concerns. 18 k is a lot of money to me. And i know the pioneer isn't a fast trail riding SxS that's why i want a sport SxS. And use my pioneer for working at hunt club and hunting. that's why i bought it in the first place and to trail ride with my kids. Now i just take my 400ex out trail riding when i need that rush, but i want a sport SxS i would sell my foreman 500 and 400ex to help pay for one tho. Well my wife would make me. lol

Last edited by scott; 07-29-2014 at 04:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 99 Old 07-29-2014, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
When I had my 2010 RZR 800 I pulled the belt cover, siliconed around it, extending the vent pipes of the CVT cover up over top the roof line, and also snorkeled my air intake, and everything else about the roof line.

I could drive in water up to my chin and never have any trouble, could of gone to the roof line but I would of needed a snorkel for myself!

I never had a single issue with a belt slipping, or burning up. But when I was on the trail below 20mph I used low, when I climbed short hills I used low, I didn't lug the machine, I didn't run 30" tall tires, I took care of it and treated it right and in turn it treated me right.
post #93 of 99 Old 07-29-2014, 07:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I ride with four rzr 1000s and they are sweet but they have all had a lot of trouble. One already had to have shocks revalved at 400 miles, 3 have broke axles doing fast trail riding, 2 have broke reverse chains and just this past weekend one kept over heating and going into limp mode. For what they cost I could buy a new truck.

post #94 of 99 Old 07-29-2014, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
It does look like 2015 1000 will have heavy duty reverse chains

Quote:
NEW! HIGH LIFTER EDITION with reduced gearing, heavy-duty reverse chain, high-clearance A-arms and radius rods, Walker Evans Reservoir Shocks,heavier springs, 29.5 in/74.9 cm Outlaw 2 Tires, EPS, higher intakes, winch and brushguard with integrated hook point, lower doors, rear-view mirror, sealed switches and battery, and improved drainage skid plate.

My biggest complaint Polaris in general.

They fix issues such as The dirt in the intake issue, fixed, but the model years that had that. The owners that have the model year, blew engines, ect because of the issue were screwed when their warranty ran out.

Reverse chains, sound like they may be fixed, but older machines won't receive a recall and free repair. They were known to break by ripping on it in reverse when stuck in the mud. Everyone knows this, but they still do what they know breaks them. Same as the 900s

That has always bothered me.

Last edited by toomanytoys; 07-29-2014 at 10:06 AM.
post #95 of 99 Old 07-29-2014, 10:08 AM

Thats what happened to me. Had a 2010 rzr 800 with 590 miles and got dust in the intake and was needing a top end job. Warranty was up so it was going to cost 1300.00 so i traded for the Pioneer. The rzr was a blast when it was running.
post #96 of 99 Old 07-29-2014, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie0909 View Post
I ride with four rzr 1000s and they are sweet but they have all had a lot of trouble. One already had to have shocks revalved at 400 miles, 3 have broke axles doing fast trail riding, 2 have broke reverse chains and just this past weekend one kept over heating and going into limp mode. For what they cost I could buy a new truck.
With putting that much power to the ground I'm sure it'll be awhile before polaris gets the weak spots sorted out. The reverse chain deal everyones known about for a long time, I use reverse carefully on my 900 Rzr. My 660 Grizzly boiled it's gas and baked your legs when it got hot, my BIL's 660 Grizzly got so hot it would boil his battery and go into limp mode. I guess what I'm pointing out is if your pushing the envelope on performance there are going to be weak spots that show up. Those weak spots WILL be found be certain drivers by the way they drive/take care of everything they touch.

As far as cost, the sxs's that compete with the pioneer cost the same or less but at least polaris offers those that want more options/power a chance to buy what they want. Of course they will be more money, but honda's approach would be like a car builder offering a pinto as they're "premium" line. But the buyers said "we want a Denali line too" Honda: "Oh you stupid people just shut up and buy what we built, we know best!"

2012 Rzr 900XP Voo Doo Blue
2014 Honda Pioneer 4 Red
2013 Polaris 550XP Red (Kids)
2009 Suzuki 90 (Kids)
2009 Suzuki 50 (Kids)
post #97 of 99 Old 07-29-2014, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Thats what happened to me. Had a 2010 rzr 800 with 590 miles and got dust in the intake and was needing a top end job. Warranty was up so it was going to cost 1300.00 so i traded for the Pioneer. The rzr was a blast when it was running.
How did you make out in that deal?

I would of plopped down the 1300 instead of buying a new SXS.

Mine was a 2010. I knew of the problem, so when I snorkeled mine within the first 10 miles of owning it, I put a Filter on my intake, so I had a pre filter, filter, and silicone all the connections. I cleaned my pre-filter every ride, and put in new air filters frequently.
post #98 of 99 Old 07-29-2014, 11:38 AM

They gave me payoff on the rzr and got into the pioneer for 11,600 out the door. Of course then came the accessories. I was doing away with the rzr no matter what, it was the 50 inch and I wanted to go to the 60 inch s model but they would not deal with me. I test drove the pioneer and new what i was getting and have been 90% pleased with it.
toomanytoys likes this.
post #99 of 99 Old 07-29-2014, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
They gave me payoff on the rzr and got into the pioneer for 11,600 out the door. Of course then came the accessories. I was doing away with the rzr no matter what, it was the 50 inch and I wanted to go to the 60 inch s model but they would not deal with me. I test drove the pioneer and new what i was getting and have been 90% pleased with it.
Doesn't sound bad at all. I'd love a 60" model RZR but if I get to more than 55" I am out hurting on our trails. My buddy has a 900XP and he is always getting stuck on our trails.

The trails we ride we started cutting when we were riding out trail 70s around on. Then our 2 stroke dirt bikes, then we made them bigger for our quads, and then we widened them out a little more for the SXS. But 3 areas are very difficult to get through because of rocks that we can't move. To get past 2 of them require riding up the creek bed for a mile, then cutting up the bank, then riding a mile back. Which wouldn't seem bad, but when its raining season in the spring the creek is so high you can't ride up it. So it cuts your riding area down by a 1/4.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page