LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 99 Old 07-17-2014, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
Don't expect the Pioneer to be the same as the RZR. They are not meant for the same thing. The Pioneer is more geared toward utility while the RZR is mainly for recreation.

Sounds like either would be good for you. Th RZR would be able to haul firewood, but I don't think you can snow plow with it.
I don't know about the 570 plow options but I had a 60" setup on my RZR800. It plowed pretty well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 99 Old 07-17-2014, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tig View Post
If these are the only two options on the table I'd very much recommend the Pioneer. It'll handle the work tasks much better than the RZR and it sounds like you won't miss the sporty factor. If you were going to consider a RZR I'd personally stay away from the 570 due to oil consumption and rod bearing issues. I've seen one lunch it's engine at 30 hours. In my mind the 800 is a much more proven platform and has a decent reputation for reliability (of the drivetrain) as long as maintenance is kept up and you take care of the belt.

Since you're considering a 50" machine already (570) and you don't seem to have any extreme needs have you considered the Pioneer 500?
I actually just found another option, but it has the 570 engine. Ranger 570 midsize for 8297 OTD! I was floored at the price, brand new as well.

Going to look at it Saturday.
post #13 of 99 Old 07-17-2014, 01:21 PM
tig

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanytoys View Post
Thanks for all the great replies.

Power isn't a huge issues, but I don't want to be completely underwhelmed when I step on the throttle, and that's my fear.

I actually got to test drive a 500 yesterday. It was a neat little bugger, but not for me. I haul some pretty heavy loads of wood during the fall and really want to stability of the wider machine. I feel the price point of the 500 is too high, at 8800 or so they wanted for a little more I can have a darn full size machine.

They don't have a 700 on the lot though. I would have to order it.
I rode a 500 at a dealer down here and the 500 feels faster seat of the pants but it's just because of the paddle shifting I think. The salesman said the service guys drag raced a 500 vs the 700 and 500 is actually a hair quicker but it tops out sooner. Hope that helps.

As far as the Ranger 570 goes you know my feelings regarding the 570 engine. The Ranger uses Macphereson struts up front which IMO is a cost cutting measure that goes too far. Overall it's just a smaller machine that doesn't feel very high quality (to me) but that's what you get for a value priced volume model. Might be fine for you though.

post #14 of 99 Old 07-17-2014, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tig View Post
I rode a 500 at a dealer down here and the 500 feels faster seat of the pants but it's just because of the paddle shifting I think. The salesman said the service guys drag raced a 500 vs the 700 and 500 is actually a hair quicker but it tops out sooner. Hope that helps.

As far as the Ranger 570 goes you know my feelings regarding the 570 engine. The Ranger uses Macphereson struts up front which IMO is a cost cutting measure that goes too far. Overall it's just a smaller machine that doesn't feel very high quality (to me) but that's what you get for a value priced volume model. Might be fine for you though.
I agree.

I hope to get to test drive a 700 soon. Or I might just end up with a Teryx my wife sent me a picture of on craigslist....So many darn choices! Good thing is I have the go ahead to get one from her, but does that last months or weeks? Wives are strange creatures! I'm in no hurry, but....who knows about her thoughts.
post #15 of 99 Old 07-17-2014, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I have a pioneer 4 and a rzr 570. For the type of riding you described that you want to do the pioneer is a better choice. The pioneer really comes on power wise after about 500 miles so if you test drive a new pioneer I do not think you are seeing the real power. If you were going to do technical trails and needed to go over 45 mph all the time then the 570 would be better. For a family machine that you can grow with the pioneer is a better choice. I think 95% of the pioneer owners are OK with the power that it has.
post #16 of 99 Old 07-17-2014, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
From the sounds of it the pioneer seems a perfect fit. But once you throw a decent load and hills there's an issue. The pioneer doesn't do anything great. It just does the very minimal to get it done. Some people are OK with that.

2015 Polaris Ranger 900 Crew EPS Sunset Red
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4 OD Green Happily Sold
2004 Ducati 998s Final Edition
2009 Honda Trx 700xx
2015 Polaris Rzr 170
post #17 of 99 Old 07-17-2014, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanytoys View Post
I agree.

I hope to get to test drive a 700 soon. Or I might just end up with a Teryx my wife sent me a picture of on craigslist....So many darn choices! Good thing is I have the go ahead to get one from her, but does that last months or weeks? Wives are strange creatures! I'm in no hurry, but....who knows about her thoughts.
the new Teryx is perfect for what your wanting to do

does everything you'd want. has a bed, has the power to back the machine up, has good suspension, can tackle trails and still be a work horse

my buddy has a 570 rzr, and i was highly impressed with it. I've got a new arctic cat wildcat trail, i love it, but it may not be exactly what your looking for
post #18 of 99 Old 07-17-2014, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I am going to go look at a used teryx. Its a 2011 with 786 miles. Has brand new tires, wheels, a stereo, windshield, roof, and a few other small mods. He said he took it off road twice for about 50 miles. The rest were around his property hauling kids around. He wants 7500 Cash for it. I have a loan approved for up to 15,000 so my options are there but I don't want to spend that much cash.

If I do get a Pioneer I look forward to hanging out here. You guys seem like a great group. I am surprised at the lack of Polaris sucks. The only responses I got were backed up by actual first hand information.

Thanks everyone. I'll be sure to post up what I get.
post #19 of 99 Old 07-17-2014, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I had a 2010 rzr 800le and traded it in on the pioneer 700-4 and have no regrets. Both machines stock will at some point need aftermarket shocks or springs. The rzr had more power but the extra width of the pioneer is nice, much more stable. I can say I have went everywhere in the Pioneer that I did in the rzr.
post #20 of 99 Old 07-17-2014, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I traded a Polaris Ranger 800 for my Pioneer. Polaris couldn't keep the Ranger running, wiring harness and fuel mapping issues. Pioneer hasn't had any issues, does everything the Ranger did, and it starts every time.

2014 Pioneer 2
2011 Dodge Cummins "deleted"

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page