Should I buy a Pioneer? - Page 3 - Honda Pioneer Forum
 37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 99 Old 07-17-2014, 07:29 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Garage
Interesting the 570 Ranger was brought up. It's really kind of 1/2 between the RZR and the Pioneer.

Specs say its nearly the same size, but somehow that doesn't translate, as the Ranger is noticeably smaller...which i like, but you may not.

Believe it or not, my Choice was between the RZR 570 or the Pioneer ( i wanted 4 seats, but didn't necessarily need them ). So in doing research, i have been regular over at the RZR forums, and have been for a year and a half, and what I've seen says the 570 is better than the 800. Early ones had a crank recall, and maybe the machine tig mentioned was a missed by this, but they seem to hold up very well. A few valve train issues. Alba racing can give you the real scoop on the 570. At any rate, the CVT is clearly better on the 570.

Anyway, i test drove a 570 Ranger a few times now, and i thought it was a pretty nice machine. I get flak for saying it, but it rides better, steers lighter, and is quieter than a Pioneer. The last 2 are due to the rear engine, the 1st is likely due to the lower capacities ( payload ). I won't even go into power. Yes it has struts, but unless you are going road-racing or are going for a lot of lift it really doesn't matter.
Considering where i ride and the issues i have had, if i had to do it again, it would choose this machine...unless someone comes out with something in the next few months. The one issue is durability...and we all know the rep Polaris has....but it seems there are plenty of happy owners out there that have had no issues.

The Teryx is nice, but the new ones are really a Teryx4 with the rear seats replaced with a bed with a price to match, and are even bigger than a Pioneer. The 2014 had belt issues but they may have been solved, but do research. IMO, Kawasaki is the least durable Japanese machine. Still probably better than a Can-am or PoPo, though.

Last edited by DG Rider; 07-17-2014 at 07:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 99 Old 07-17-2014, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I agree with what you said about durability issues.

I have owned a few Kawi products over the years. Early days as a kid a KX80,KX100, KX125. All were execellent bikes but far behind the CR machines of the same era. I still have a KE100 street and trail. It is a 1996, has 700 miles and it seriously sits in a barn with stale gas in it. I went out there 2 weeks ago and kicked it 5 times and it started right up and drove down the road.

I have not owned anything but bikes from them.

Polaris has issues, but they have some nice machines, and like my 800, I never had ANY issues with that thing period. I never even replaced bushings and bearings like everyone else. I greased, cleaned, and maintenanced everything all the time. It showed.

My problem with people beating on Polaris is go on youtube, type in RZR and you will get 5 million videos of people BEATING those poor things so hard that I'm surprised they even still run. People treat the RZR like its a tank, driving them almost under water, jumping, climbing stuff that doesn't even seem possible, and rolling them. When you treat something like that no wonder it breaks.

My market is open. I really like the Pioneer, my only draw back is the low HP. If it was 45-50HP I would already have my order in.
CSFI likes this.
post #23 of 99 Old 07-17-2014, 07:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanytoys View Post
I agree with what you said about durability issues.

I have owned a few Kawi products over the years. Early days as a kid a KX80,KX100, KX125. All were execellent bikes but far behind the CR machines of the same era. I still have a KE100 street and trail. It is a 1996, has 700 miles and it seriously sits in a barn with stale gas in it. I went out there 2 weeks ago and kicked it 5 times and it started right up and drove down the road.

I have not owned anything but bikes from them.

Polaris has issues, but they have some nice machines, and like my 800, I never had ANY issues with that thing period. I never even replaced bushings and bearings like everyone else. I greased, cleaned, and maintenanced everything all the time. It showed.

My problem with people beating on Polaris is go on youtube, type in RZR and you will get 5 million videos of people BEATING those poor things so hard that I'm surprised they even still run. People treat the RZR like its a tank, driving them almost under water, jumping, climbing stuff that doesn't even seem possible, and rolling them. When you treat something like that no wonder it breaks.

My market is open. I really like the Pioneer, my only draw back is the low HP. If it was 45-50HP I would already have my order in.
I always thought their street bikes held up pretty well.

Could't agree with you more about RZR's: The official vehicle of "Hey y'all, watch this...". Also, people forget that there are TONS of Polaris ATV's/SxS's out there, so you are going to hear more.

If you're not in a huge hurry, we're at that time of year when all the new stuff shows up. Who knows...maybe the 2015 Pioneer gets a new engine w/lower gearing or low range. If that's the case, it becomes a class of 1, IMO.

Or Suzuki could save the day with something very cool.

post #24 of 99 Old 07-17-2014, 08:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
going from the suspension and power of the rzr to the pioneer.Let us know how it goes
post #25 of 99 Old 07-17-2014, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5ggtg_lb-k

This video I found is one that truly concerns me with the Pioneer. That would be the size hills I would be climbing regularly.
post #26 of 99 Old 07-17-2014, 09:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I also had a 800 rzr and never had any problems with it in 3500 miles. I did put on a better air filter as soon as I got it. If you do get a 570 be sure and do the soapy mod which is a uni air filter inside the air box as a backup to the paper filter. Many 570s have injested dirt because of a very poor air box design.
post #27 of 99 Old 07-17-2014, 10:26 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
I truly believe the pioneer should of climbed that hill. Wasn't there so can't say much about it.

Last edited by scott; 07-17-2014 at 10:28 PM.
post #28 of 99 Old 07-17-2014, 10:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:

This video I found is one that truly concerns me with the Pioneer. That would be the size hills I would be climbing regularly.
I also watched several videos like that.I got the commander and could not be happier.First ride in the commander you notice the power and throttle response immediately as well as how comfortable it is.Your not sitting on it your sitting in it.I rode the pioneer and strongly suggest you do yourself the favor and test drive one in the terrain your describing.The front end on them things will bottom out on little ruts in the road at any kind of speed.
Not a terrible ride or No power but its not great either.I think the pioneer will get it done like the rest just not as fast.....
One way to describe it is when your in the pioneer you will squint up the hills or trails and decide what the best way up is gonna be...In a commander or rzr your gonna just say ok im going that way and away you go.
CSFI likes this.
post #29 of 99 Old 07-18-2014, 12:08 AM

Garage
Quote:

If you have any doubt, go with something else.

I heard the grumblings about the BR ( and to a smaller degree, the Pioneer ) and thought Honda could't possibly be that dumb, so i ignored them. I was wrong, and its the most disappointing powersports purchase i have ever made.

Just do us a favor and let your dealer know why you DIDN'T purchase it. I sure hope Honda reads these boards and is seeing all the people passing due to power/gearing issues. Stupid assholes. These are off-road machines, not golf carts.
CSFI and tatsoul like this.
post #30 of 99 Old 07-18-2014, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I am having major doubts. I watch one video and it looks great, and watch another that it doesn't look so good.

I will wait till I can test drive, but no dealer is going to let me go climb anything with it. But at least on flat ground I could see what it felt like.

I'll keep you guys informed. Thanks for all the help, we shall see what there is.

And as for Honda watching and caring, I really don't think they do care. They will see machines based on their name and reliability. The price point and the capacities of the Pioneer will lead them to having good sales to people who only want to work. People who want to work and play will go onto Teryx, Vikings and Rangers.

How long have people acted for a locking diff on a 4x4 Honda? How many years have people asked for a big bore IRS machine that will compete with all the other big brands? How long have people asked for a sport SXS? The list goes on.

We have seen none of these things. The only GREAT and CLASS LEADING quads that Honda has is the 450R and the 400EX. The sad thing about it those are SPORT quads. But yet we can't get a powerful Utility or a Powerful SXS.

Even if you take the 400 class sport quads, all the other brands have updated the **** out of them. FI, Water cooled, more power, ect ect. The 400EX engine of 1999 and the 400EX engine of today is virtually the same! That's not a terrible thing as that is a BULLET PROOF engine. I know I've had them, but it shows that Honda has no interest in updating and competing.

The only way we could get Honda to compete is if we completely stopped buying their machines to prove a point.
CSFI likes this.

Last edited by toomanytoys; 07-18-2014 at 08:49 AM.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page