37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 99 Old 07-17-2014, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Should I buy a Pioneer?

I was told out of the blue yesterday by my wife that I need to get another side by side. We have a 4 year old and a baby due any day now. I think she wants me out of the house riding with the 4 year old instead of us bothering her.

Now some background. Currently I have a 13 Rancher 420 4x4, and a 12 Recon ES. 4 years ago we bought a brand new 2010 RZR 800 LE. Great SXS, we loved it, never had any problems with it. Put over 3500 miles on it in 2 years. Well we hit some money problems. Monday I was told my overtime was cut, and had to work 40 hours a week, then Tuesday the AC/HEAT went out in the house instead of bombing out our savings the RZR went up on craigslist. Sold in 2 days. Put a new furnace in and used the left over 6,000 dollars to purchase the two quads.

I've really wanted another SXS as the 4 year old loves to ride. I strap her car seat in the SXS, put a helmet on her, and off we go cruising. I feel this is 1000x more safe than sitting her on my lap on the quad.

We ride mainly around our home. We can access a few trails off the road in front of our house. Old rail road tracks(the tracks were pulled), old strip mine property, ect. Mix of mud, small hills, and creek crossings. Plus there are miles of dirt roads that we can ride for hours if we wish to just cruise.

My days of jumping, and thrashing are done. Say what you will but at 30 years old with 2 kids, a mortage, and lots of responsibilities I have no interest in risking my health or life driving like a goof.

Main uses.

Trail riding, mud, hills(nothing crazy), and creek crossing/riding.
Hauling firewood
Snow Plowing

It will be used more on the trails than around the yard. I've read so many people scream its under powered, slow, and just not fun to ride. I've always read that people say its amazing and the best thing since sliced bread.

I have two options right now.

2014 Honda Pioneer Brand new for 10,469 OTD
2013 Polaris RZR 570 with 312 miles for 7,800OTD

I am really torn because I like so much about the Pioneer. The utility and Honda tough, but I really like the 570 because I know the RZR platform is capable off road and with the addition of a hitch and my little harbor freight trailer I can haul firewood just the same. Currently using that setup on my Rancher 420.

I am not turning this into a brand war! I am an equal opportunity brand person. Like I said above 3,500 miles on m RZR with NO problems. Replaced a belt at 1,500 miles and one at 3,000 miles. Not because they were bad but for piece of mind and the save my big butt from having to walk.

Last edited by toomanytoys; 07-17-2014 at 12:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 99 Old 07-17-2014, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
What elevation will most of your riding take place?

1988 Fourtrax 300
2014 Pioneer 700-4 Green
post #3 of 99 Old 07-17-2014, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride_red3447 View Post
What elevation will most of your riding take place?
My house sits at 1100 FT. Highest point in the county is 1500FT

post #4 of 99 Old 07-17-2014, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Pioneer should do what you want it to.. Power loss problems have been reports in high elevated areas but I live in south mississippi and mine does great.. I've put it through some treacherous situations and rides and it's done what I've asked of it and surprised me several times too.. For the purposes of riding kids, hauling loads, and trail riding id think it would do good for you.. Your only issue with mud holes will be ground clearance.. I've took mine from the stock 10.5" to 17" with a $180 lift, spring spacers I made for $5, and 28" tires.

1988 Fourtrax 300
2014 Pioneer 700-4 Green
post #5 of 99 Old 07-17-2014, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
I think the Pioneer 4 seat would be prefect for you if you can get over the power difference between the pioneer and rzr. I bought mine mainly for hunting and a little trail riding and for working at hunting club. It has done everything i tried with no issue. I have two teens and a 4 6 8 year old kids, they love it and it seems to be pretty safe. Would put spacers on front springs. My biggest issue with pioneer is front shocks are to soft not power.

Last edited by scott; 07-17-2014 at 12:49 PM.
post #6 of 99 Old 07-17-2014, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
toomanytoys, it appears the complaints here are limited to and related to speed, steep hills, high elevations, front suspension. Never a mention about reliability. Considering your story and your primary cargo (all 4 years old ), I'd go Pioneer. My credentials are limited to extensive lurking on this site.
post #7 of 99 Old 07-17-2014, 01:14 PM
tig

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanytoys View Post
2014 Honda Pioneer Brand new for 10,469 OTD
2013 Polaris RZR 570 with 312 miles for 7,800OTD

I am really torn because I like so much about the Pioneer. The utility and Honda tough, but I really like the 570 because I know the RZR platform is capable off road and with the addition of a hitch and my little harbor freight trailer I can haul firewood just the same. Currently using that setup on my Rancher 420.

I am not turning this into a brand war! I am an equal opportunity brand person. Like I said above 3,500 miles on m RZR with NO problems. Replaced a belt at 1,500 miles and one at 3,000 miles. Not because they were bad but for piece of mind and the save my big butt from having to walk.
If these are the only two options on the table I'd very much recommend the Pioneer. It'll handle the work tasks much better than the RZR and it sounds like you won't miss the sporty factor. If you were going to consider a RZR I'd personally stay away from the 570 due to oil consumption and rod bearing issues. I've seen one lunch it's engine at 30 hours. In my mind the 800 is a much more proven platform and has a decent reputation for reliability (of the drivetrain) as long as maintenance is kept up and you take care of the belt.

Since you're considering a 50" machine already (570) and you don't seem to have any extreme needs have you considered the Pioneer 500?
post #8 of 99 Old 07-17-2014, 01:18 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Garage
Actually, i would say the complaints are about steep hills AND high elevations. Shocks could be fixed.

I think the Pioneer would work well for what you describe. Only thing is....if you're used to RZR power, then you may find the Pioneer a little tame.
post #9 of 99 Old 07-17-2014, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Don't expect the Pioneer to be the same as the RZR. They are not meant for the same thing. The Pioneer is more geared toward utility while the RZR is mainly for recreation.

Sounds like either would be good for you. Th RZR would be able to haul firewood, but I don't think you can snow plow with it.
post #10 of 99 Old 07-17-2014, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for all the great replies.

Power isn't a huge issues, but I don't want to be completely underwhelmed when I step on the throttle, and that's my fear.

I actually got to test drive a 500 yesterday. It was a neat little bugger, but not for me. I haul some pretty heavy loads of wood during the fall and really want to stability of the wider machine. I feel the price point of the 500 is too high, at 8800 or so they wanted for a little more I can have a darn full size machine.

They don't have a 700 on the lot though. I would have to order it.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page