17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 59 Old 07-30-2014, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Garage
If I remember right Hondas target age group was the mid 40's+ when they came out with the Pioneer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 59 Old 07-30-2014, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatsoul View Post
one reason is you guys are funny and mostly not thin skinned except a couple..another reason is cause there is nothing wrong with my machine so I don't need any advice on fixing it.
Fair enough.. lets leave it at that...

@toomanytoys I think you are onto something. Its kind of like the young bull and old bull standing on a hill looking at a herd of cows. The young bull says "Lets run down and **get** one of them cows" and the old bull says "No son.. lets walk down and **get** them all".

Rancher Guy and Grader like this.

Don't feed the bears no matter what they tell you!
post #43 of 59 Old 07-30-2014, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick View Post
Fair enough.. lets leave it at that...

@toomanytoys I think you are onto something. Its kind of like the young bull and old bull standing on a hill looking at a herd of cows. The young bull says "Lets run down and **get** one of them cows" and the old bull says "No son.. lets walk down and **get** them all".

I agree 100%.

I think most peoples perception when they see a side by side is its going to climb a mountain and jump a bus. You don't see people going out and buying Mules, and Kubotas complaining it won't climb a hill and swim across a river. They are out there comparing how big a of a load they can haul back to the barn and how big of a snow drift they busted down plowing.

My wife's grandfather has a big freaking Kubota diesel with hydraulic PTOs. We used it last fall to skid logs up out of the valley on his property. I couldn't think of a better machine to use. Its useless if you wanted to trail ride it but the work that thing can do is flat out amazing.

With minor changes to the Pioneer it would appeal to all age groups, and most riding styles. It's never going to be a RZR sport machine, but it would be a VERY capable dual purpose machine. One that would give the Ranger, Teryx, Viking a hard run for the #1 spot. And it would be one I would be proud to have in my stable.

If what toodeep said is fact from Honda. The 40+ age target. They nailed it! It's a tough work horse that will still be running when my youngest kid is ready for retirement.

I have Vintage Honda Trail bikes that are still running like a top 40 years later.

Last edited by toomanytoys; 07-30-2014 at 01:33 PM.

post #44 of 59 Old 07-30-2014, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
age-32
own or sold- own P4 - Camo
rating based on 220km on pioneer (9)
plan to keep or sell - keep

I love my pioneer! Amazing machine that does more than I need.
post #45 of 59 Old 07-30-2014, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
As one of the first responders to this thread I can't say these results were predictable, but I can say that they are not surprising. Old farts like me want to ride out on what they rode in to the woods. I don't want to walk out and I don't to ride out on the back of another rig or in a medical helicopter. I think the poll also shows that most older buyers knew what they were getting into, leaving little room for disappointment. Younger folks are more susceptible to the effects of buyer's remorse. But don't get me wrong, the older you get, the more that same remorse bites !
norcalmendo likes this.

Last edited by Papajoe; 07-30-2014 at 07:13 PM.
post #46 of 59 Old 07-30-2014, 04:54 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
I pretty much agree besides the light trail use. I have done some pretty hard trails and it did them all fine. I talking about trail them RZR's do also.Not the deep mud talking about trails. I just have to drive different and pick my lines. But i have done them. I think even with less like the pioneer has. If you know how to drive and have a lot of experience you can do a lot more than you think with the pioneer. In response to Toomanytoys.... And not talking about the extreme trails. Also i am talking about where i ride i have no idea where and what it's like where yall ride.

Last edited by scott; 07-30-2014 at 06:52 PM.
post #47 of 59 Old 07-30-2014, 04:58 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I thought I was getting a rig that I can go hunting in. And go trail riding with the family. The pioneer doesn't handle passengers very well in the back. Boy was I wrong. It's not even on the same level as a Kubota or John Deere in terms of work ability.

I'm actually pretty surprised that there's that many people satisfied. I bought it with an open mind and wanted to really like it but fell way short.

On the positive Honda is on the brink of being really competitive with all the other manufacturers with only a few things to change. Time will tell. When they do change things I will be there.

2015 Polaris Ranger 900 Crew EPS Sunset Red
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4 OD Green Happily Sold
2004 Ducati 998s Final Edition
2009 Honda Trx 700xx
2015 Polaris Rzr 170
post #48 of 59 Old 07-30-2014, 06:18 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Garage
Own
Rating after approx 2400 miles: 5
Sell when appropriate replacement becomes available.
post #49 of 59 Old 07-30-2014, 10:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Own
Only 100 miles 8-9
Keep
post #50 of 59 Old 08-01-2014, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Garage
Lets get the poll going again... the belt discussion can be found here: The great belt discussion...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page