15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 67 Old 07-31-2014, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott View Post
I don't doubt it one bit there was a recall on it.
Recall Summary

Name of product: Can-Am Commander side-by-side off-road vehicles
Hazard: Improper assembly of the steering column to the rack and pinion can result in the loss of steering control, posing a risk of serious injury or death to the user, passenger or bystanders.
Don't know if you know this but the connection from the steering column to the rack and pinion isn't the tie rod or the a arm. Sorry I don't buy it, what makes it even less believable that it was connected to this recall is that Can Am didn't warranty it.

This would be like the Rzr 1000 that got caught in the stream in the other thread taking it back to the dealer and saying they don't know why it won't start, we were just driving it around on dry ground. WHAT! there's water in the oil how'd that get there!

2012 Rzr 900XP Voo Doo Blue
2014 Honda Pioneer 4 Red
2013 Polaris 550XP Red (Kids)
2009 Suzuki 90 (Kids)
2009 Suzuki 50 (Kids)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 67 Old 07-31-2014, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott View Post
I don't doubt it one bit there was a recall on it.
Recall Summary

Name of product: Can-Am Commander side-by-side off-road vehicles
Hazard: Improper assembly of the steering column to the rack and pinion can result in the loss of steering control, posing a risk of serious injury or death to the user, passenger or bystanders.
That's was a recall on the rack and pinion box on earlier models.had squat to do with a broke tie rod and a arm.
post #13 of 67 Old 07-31-2014, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Maybe it happened before the recall. Maybe can am saw the cases and then decided to do the recall. Because i saw several cases of this happening on can am forum when i google searched it. Maybe the steering column or rack and pinion failure caused the problem and other issues but yall just straight out judge and basically called that person a lair without all the info.

Last edited by scott; 07-31-2014 at 11:39 AM.

post #14 of 67 Old 07-31-2014, 11:45 AM

Or the recall issues cause a wreck that damaged the other stuff and the person had to pay for it out of pocket when he thought it would all be covered. Steering column failure or rack and pinion failure can cause a wreck and break tie rod and A arms. That might of happened right? And he had to pay for them things. IDK but it's not right to just call BS when yall don't know full story.

post #15 of 67 Old 07-31-2014, 11:50 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Garage
And another thread bites the dust
Doc8404 likes this.
post #16 of 67 Old 07-31-2014, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Garage
With all the frame problems can am has had over the years I can believe something like this could happen. Can am has been working out the issues for years on the wheelers to hold up to the power the Rotax is putting out. Like skizzy said, maybe he got a lemon.

Anyway.... back on topic guys..
post #17 of 67 Old 07-31-2014, 11:53 AM

LOL... That kind of stuff is my biggest pet peeve. It's nothing personal. I just lost some votes in the SxS of month contest. lol

Last edited by scott; 07-31-2014 at 12:52 PM.
post #18 of 67 Old 07-31-2014, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Well i definately think allot of everyones tastes are age based I am 43 and a gear head i love hauling a$$ jumping mudding all those things. However i am married been married for 22 years now and up until i bought my Pioneer when i went riding it was just with my boys and i wanted the wife to be able to participate so we together got a pioneer plus i can use it around the house. Most of you married guys know if mama isnt happy no one is happy. Kind of got off track a friend of mine just moved up here where i am he is 26 and guess what he wanted you guessed it speed he rode my pioneer but he went with a 2012 Commander i went with him to pick it up from the guy to help him check it out. It is fast and he got a limited with all the goodies there are things i like about it but am happy with what i have and he is happy with what he has we cant wait to get the wives out there and enjoy them. I will be taking the GO pro when we go may get some interesting video. I also wanted to say i had 3 people cooler of ice and drinks on my recent trail ride and had no problems climbing.

2002 F150 Super Crew FX4
2007 FJ Cruise 3in lift, 305 65 17 KM2s
1986 Bronco (plow truck)
2014 Pioneer 700-4 with Hard Top, walker Evans adjustable shocks, 27in blackwater tires full skids and cv protection, warn winch
post #19 of 67 Old 07-31-2014, 11:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatsoul View Post
belts easy to change.remove the seat and engine cover.take the housing off.screw in the bolt to lose the secondary.belt comes off new one on.take screw bolt out of secondary and put housing back on.takes 30 minutes and a cold one
not sure why people gripe about the belt
Because they are a pain.. Get wet, slip, smoke and all that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toodeep View Post
With all the frame problems can am has had over the years I can believe something like this could happen. Can am has been working out the issues for years on the wheelers to hold up to the power the Rotax is putting out. Like skizzy said, maybe he got a lemon.

Anyway.... back on topic guys..
Crazier things have happened.. Saw a ranger 800 blow out a rear diff driving 15 mph across a flat field with just grass.

1988 Fourtrax 300
2014 Pioneer 700-4 Green
post #20 of 67 Old 07-31-2014, 11:59 PM

With all the power them SxS's have it does seem like a belt would be a weak link. Really does seem like them brand would change it after all these years of same issues. Like people say honda does old technology and all. I haven't had a belt drive since 1998 tho. But i do see the smoking and slipping issues out on the trails.

Last edited by scott; 08-01-2014 at 12:22 AM.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page