15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 67 Old 08-01-2014, 01:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott View Post
With all the power them SxS's have it does seem like a belt would be a weak link. Really does seem like them brand would change it after all these years of same issues. Like people say honda does old technology and all. I haven't had a belt drive since 1998 tho. But i do see the smoking and slipping issues out on the trails. Anyone know how long they been using a belt drive?
Got a Toyota camry with 300000 miles.belt timing chain.problems not the belt its people driving thru 3 feet of water without snorkels and not doing reular maintance.no machine is immune to problems.i know the earlier commanders had issues with the rear dif and steering.thats why I did a ton of research and got a 13.havnt had to take a blow torch to my glove box yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 67 Old 08-01-2014, 01:18 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott View Post
With all the power them SxS's have it does seem like a belt would be a weak link. Really does seem like them brand would change it after all these years of same issues. Like people say honda does old technology and all. I haven't had a belt drive since 1998 tho. But i do see the smoking and slipping issues out on the trails. Anyone know how long they been using a belt drive?

The belt is built for a reason. Something has to absorb the shock between the motor and transmission/final drives. The belt can slip and therefore the damage is not as great. Kind of like the clutch slipping on our ,annual shifts. Something has to give sooner or later, most companies have went with the belt drive to absorb that.

Some machines its easy to change a belt on, some you just tow out and take back to the shop. I know on my buddys kaw you tear a lot of the machine apart to just gain access.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #23 of 67 Old 08-01-2014, 01:27 AM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodeep View Post
The belt is built for a reason. Something has to absorb the shock between the motor and transmission/final drives. The belt can slip and therefore the damage is not as great. Kind of like the clutch slipping on our ,annual shifts. Something has to give sooner or later, most companies have went with the belt drive to absorb that.

Some machines its easy to change a belt on, some you just tow out and take back to the shop. I know on my buddys kaw you tear a lot of the machine apart to just gain access.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Thanks, I don't understand it all. So since the pioneer doesn't have a belt whats the weak link in it's drive system? Or does it not have enough power ti really break drive system?

Last edited by scott; 08-01-2014 at 01:29 AM.

post #24 of 67 Old 08-01-2014, 03:26 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Scott on the pioneer it should be the torque converter and/or joints in drive shafts, which the joints and drive shafts could go on any of them depending on the situation they are put in. I can't remember but do the belts have teeth to mesh with the pulleys teeth, that's how timing belts are but can't remember what the belt was on my arctic cat I use to have. Sorry if this doesn't make since lol.

2002 F150 Super Crew FX4
2007 FJ Cruise 3in lift, 305 65 17 KM2s
1986 Bronco (plow truck)
2014 Pioneer 700-4 with Hard Top, walker Evans adjustable shocks, 27in blackwater tires full skids and cv protection, warn winch
post #25 of 67 Old 08-01-2014, 05:17 AM

Yea i get what you are saying. So a downfall of having that tranny is it's going to cost a lot if it does go bad or something break. Thanks ccbrett

post #26 of 67 Old 08-01-2014, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatsoul View Post
Got a Toyota camry with 300000 miles.belt timing chain.problems not the belt its people driving thru 3 feet of water without snorkels and not doing reular maintance.no machine is immune to problems.i know the earlier commanders had issues with the rear dif and steering.thats why I did a ton of research and got a 13.havnt had to take a blow torch to my glove box yet.
Haven't had to blow torch my glove box either.. And on any SxS you can drive through 3 ft of water without snorkels.. I did it all the time before I snorkeled mine.. And I've seen brand new and well maintained can ams and polaris get wet belts and smoke them in tire deep water where snorkels don't matter.. Belt boxes aren't that high and get wet way too easy.

1988 Fourtrax 300
2014 Pioneer 700-4 Green
post #27 of 67 Old 08-01-2014, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccbrett View Post
I can't remember but do the belts have teeth to mesh with the pulleys teeth, that's how timing belts are but can't remember what the belt was on my arctic cat I use to have. Sorry if this doesn't make since lol.
They dont have " teeth " that mesh, they run off of a sheave which grips the sides and moves the belt upward on the sheave.
post #28 of 67 Old 08-01-2014, 12:14 PM

The 2013 commander has had recall also. 2 safety recalls one for battery and one for muffler the commander could catch fire that's pretty crazy.

Last edited by scott; 08-01-2014 at 12:17 PM.
post #29 of 67 Old 08-01-2014, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Thanks adnoh that's what I thought so a timing belt in a car isn't the same then.

Yeah Scott but it should be a long time down the road. With a pretty good chuck of hours on her.

2002 F150 Super Crew FX4
2007 FJ Cruise 3in lift, 305 65 17 KM2s
1986 Bronco (plow truck)
2014 Pioneer 700-4 with Hard Top, walker Evans adjustable shocks, 27in blackwater tires full skids and cv protection, warn winch
post #30 of 67 Old 08-01-2014, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Keep in mind that most cars are coming with CVTs these days. Many advantages to the new CVT systems in cars. And they do work. My Dad has had a Jeep thing with a CVT, has over 100k miles on it with no issues with the CVT.

The belts don't get wet UNLESS the cover is improperly sealed, or you are above the limit of the snorkel. My Scrambler 500 with stock snorkels has NEVER gotten a wet belt. I drove thing that through water and mud for nearly 10 years. Only put 1 belt on it the whole time I owned it.

Trash talk belts all you want, but Honda is the only company not selling a belt drive ATV/SXS. There auto transmissions work, but they are never going to be as widely accepted and wanted by the public at large.

Polaris, Can Am, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, ect can not be wrong. The systems work and work well.

What bothers me, and it has been demonstrated right here in this thread, that people have no clue how a CVT system works, but yet they talk about how terrible they are.

Last edited by toomanytoys; 08-01-2014 at 01:10 PM.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page