The great belt discussion... - Honda Pioneer Forum
 15Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 67 Old 07-30-2014, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Ima4wheelinmudder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Ima4wheelinmudder
(Thread Starter)
The great belt discussion...

This is a part from the Poll on Pioneer thread that went a little off topic.

I owned a Can Am Commander XT1000 and never had a problem with it. I bought it when my boys were small and I added the rear seat and rollbar kit to it. The 4 seaters just started coming out but were way too big to use on some of the trails that we ride. I happened to be at the Honda dealer looking at 4 wheelers when I saw the Pioneer 700-4. I put my Can Am up for sale that evening and got on the Pioneer waiting list. The first service on the Can Am set me back $650 versus $250 for the Pioneer. Eventually the Can Am would need a belt service and I wasn't willing to part with close to $1000. I took a big loss on the Can Am when I sold it but I got a machine that better suited my needs. There are pros and cons for both machines and they can't be put in the same catagory. The pros for the Can Am were ... it hauls a$$, can climb almost any thing ... the cons were that it gets hot inside, it is loud and whiney. The pros for the Pioneer are that it is a compact 4 seater with plenty of hauling and towing capacity AND NO BELT! The cons would be accessory availability. I'm 52 and don't need the speed and don't care about driving thru deep mud and water. Everyone has a different reason for buying what they want. Honda will eventually catch up to the other manufacturers and there will be a wider choice of machines that will suit the different needs of most of us.

2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2013 Honda Rancher TRX420
2013 Yamaha XT250

Last edited by toodeep; 08-01-2014 at 09:35 PM.
Ima4wheelinmudder is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 67 Old 07-30-2014, 11:35 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 220
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ima4wheelinmudder View Post
I owned a Can Am Commander XT1000 and never had a problem with it. I bought it when my boys were small and I added the rear seat and rollbar kit to it. The 4 seaters just started coming out but were way too big to use on some of the trails that we ride. I happened to be at the Honda dealer looking at 4 wheelers when I saw the Pioneer 700-4. I put my Can Am up for sale that evening and got on the Pioneer waiting list. The first service on the Can Am set me back $650 versus $250 for the Pioneer. Eventually the Can Am would need a belt service and I wasn't willing to part with close to $1000. I took a big loss on the Can Am when I sold it but I got a machine that better suited my needs. There are pros and cons for both machines and they can't be put in the same catagory. The pros for the Can Am were ... it hauls a$$, can climb almost any thing ... the cons were that it gets hot inside, it is loud and whiney. The pros for the Pioneer are that it is a compact 4 seater with plenty of hauling and towing capacity AND NO BELT! The cons would be accessory availability. I'm 52 and don't need the speed and don't care about driving thru deep mud and water. Everyone has a different reason for buying what they want. Honda will eventually catch up to the other manufacturers and there will be a wider choice of machines that will suit the different needs of most of us.
A 1,000 dollars for a belt service? The belt cost 80 dollars, and a few tools to change it. I think its an 8mm wrench and some other small hand tools. It can be done on the trail its so easy.

Even in my RZR 800 the belt cost was around 80, a couple tools, and even with removing the seats, the seat belt bar, the cvt cover, snorkels, and a few other things I could do it in 20-25 minutes.

250 dollars to service you pioneer?

What kind of dealers are you going to?

My local Honda dealer charges 75 to first service a quad and 150 to first service a side by side.

Not poking just wondering what exactly you are referring to on the Can Am that would cost a 1000 for a "clutch service"?

Last edited by toomanytoys; 07-30-2014 at 11:38 PM.
toomanytoys is offline  
post #3 of 67 Old 07-30-2014, 11:47 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanytoys View Post
A 1,000 dollars for a belt service? The belt cost 80 dollars, and a few tools to change it. I think its an 8mm wrench and some other small hand tools. It can be done on the trail its so easy.

Even in my RZR 800 the belt cost was around 80, a couple tools, and even with removing the seats, the seat belt bar, the cvt cover, snorkels, and a few other things I could do it in 20-25 minutes.

250 dollars to service you pioneer?

What kind of dealers are you going to?

My local Honda dealer charges 75 to first service a quad and 150 to first service a side by side.

Not poking just wondering what exactly you are referring to on the Can Am that would cost a 1000 for a "clutch service"?
belts easy to change.remove the seat and engine cover.take the housing off.screw in the bolt to lose the secondary.belt comes off new one on.take screw bolt out of secondary and put housing back on.takes 30 minutes and a cold one
not sure why people gripe about the belt
tatsoul is offline  
 
post #4 of 67 Old 07-31-2014, 12:07 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I also traded a Can am to buy my pioneer. Was tied of the trouble customer service. I had it for a week and tie rod and A arms broke first they said warranty would fix it nope ended up costing over $1000 on a week old commander XT. Didn't even hit anything it broke going over flat ground. Just trouble made SxS And it didn't end there so after 2 years of trouble I traded on my pioneer. Maybe i had a lemon. I am happy now with my pioneer.
skizzy is offline  
post #5 of 67 Old 07-31-2014, 12:42 AM
Senior Member
 
CSFI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Nyssa, OR
Posts: 325
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skizzy View Post
I also traded a Can am to buy my pioneer. Was tied of the trouble customer service. I had it for a week and tie rod and A arms broke first they said warranty would fix it nope ended up costing over $1000 on a week old commander XT. Didn't even hit anything it broke going over flat ground. Just trouble made SxS And it didn't end there so after 2 years of trouble I traded on my pioneer. Maybe i had a lemon. I am happy now with my pioneer.

You broke a tie rod AND an A arm riding over flat ground..............rriiiiiiggghhht.

2012 Rzr 900XP Voo Doo Blue
2014 Honda Pioneer 4 Red
2013 Polaris 550XP Red (Kids)
2009 Suzuki 90 (Kids)
2009 Suzuki 50 (Kids)
CSFI is offline  
post #6 of 67 Old 07-31-2014, 12:56 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I was driving in a field don't know what happen maybe something was lose. But the money wasn't a joke. Although it sound wierd don't mean anything it still happened. Was lucky no one got hurt my kid was in passenger seat.
skizzy is offline  
post #7 of 67 Old 07-31-2014, 08:47 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 220
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSFI View Post
You broke a tie rod AND an A arm riding over flat ground..............rriiiiiiggghhht.

I once seen an engine blow up and it wasn't even running when it happened. Honest. All the oil ran out, and the rod tried to jump through the block.


I don't buy an a-arm and tie rod in snapping awhile riding across a flat field. And obviously can am didn't either. Sorry I don't.

Last edited by toomanytoys; 07-31-2014 at 08:52 AM.
toomanytoys is offline  
post #8 of 67 Old 07-31-2014, 08:59 AM
Senior Member
 
scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Lyman SC
Posts: 1,111
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
I don't doubt it one bit there was a recall on it.
Recall Summary

Name of product: Can-Am Commander side-by-side off-road vehicles
Hazard: Improper assembly of the steering column to the rack and pinion can result in the loss of steering control, posing a risk of serious injury or death to the user, passenger or bystanders.




Last edited by scott; 07-31-2014 at 09:02 AM.
scott is offline  
post #9 of 67 Old 07-31-2014, 09:05 AM
Senior Member
 
scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Lyman SC
Posts: 1,111
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Consumers should stop using this product unless otherwise instructed. It is illegal to resell or attempt to resell a recalled consumer product.

Recall date: January 10, 2013
Recall number: 13-718



scott is offline  
post #10 of 67 Old 07-31-2014, 09:18 AM
Senior Member
 
scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Lyman SC
Posts: 1,111
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skizzy View Post
I was driving in a field don't know what happen maybe something was lose. But the money wasn't a joke. Although it sound wierd don't mean anything it still happened. Was lucky no one got hurt my kid was in passenger seat.
Sorry that happened to you. Glad no one got hurt also. There is a lot of great info here on this forum. And people. Might of just pick the wrong thread to start posting in that's all. All i did was a google search.




Last edited by scott; 07-31-2014 at 12:24 PM.
scott is offline  
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome