Pioneer Low end power - Page 2 - Honda Pioneer Forum
 40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 62 Old 09-06-2014, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanx for the replys. I will mostly be using it for hunting and work here and there. But I will be joy riding sometimes. Im not into going 70mph down a trail or road or hitting the biggest mudhole in the area! 40 mph is fast enough for me. I jus want to make sure when I do get 3 people, gear, two deer in the back I will be able to climb up that hill or whatever and have enough power to get me where I need to go..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 62 Old 09-06-2014, 08:52 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Had 960lbs in mine driving around my hunt club it did great.. But i only had about 6" of ground clearance in the rear..

Last edited by scott; 09-07-2014 at 11:14 AM.
post #13 of 62 Old 09-06-2014, 09:20 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
To put it in a nutshell.......The 700 is more for a 40yr old not a 20yr old.
Nope, I'm 49 and my 2014 Pioneer 700 4 is way to high geared for me and my slow paced farm usage..

post #14 of 62 Old 09-06-2014, 11:04 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by randall27 View Post
Im looking at buying a pioneer 700 and would like to know everyones opinions that has on already. Ive seen good and bad would just like to have a place where everyone can post there opinion. I understand if your way up in the mountains its not good but other than that. I will be mostly flat terrain with a trip once or twice a year to slightly steep mountains nothing over 3k feet

Does the pioneer have enough low end torque for you? What kind of pulling have you done? How steep of hills have you climbed? What does is bog down on? Are you satisfied or not?
The Pioneer is a gutless pig at high elevations. I've posted vids on it, and it seems like another owner comes on saying the same thing about once a month.

That said, at 3000' or below i suspect it will do anything you want...though i would never put larger tires on one of these.
post #15 of 62 Old 09-06-2014, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG Rider View Post
The Pioneer is a gutless pig at high elevations. I've posted vids on it, and it seems like another owner comes on saying the same thing about once a month.

That said, at 3000' or below i suspect it will do anything you want...though i would never put larger tires on one of these.
I was thinking about going up to 26" but i think i am going to stay at 25" and do that cheap lift kit from strong made. What you think Dg 26" or 25" with lift kit?

post #16 of 62 Old 09-06-2014, 11:20 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott View Post
I was thinking about going up to 26" but i think i am going to stay at 25" and do that cheap lift kit from strong made. What you think Dg 26" or 25" with lift kit?
In my world it can't even pull 25's that well.

If you think it can pull them, go for the 26's. A lot of people running larger tires on Pioneers with success, i just don't see how....but as someone here recently said, it is a totally different machine at the elevations where you ride.
scott likes this.
post #17 of 62 Old 09-06-2014, 11:53 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I rode some trails in Pickett County, TN this past weekend. Probably ran into 50 Razrs over the weekend--riding the main backbone roads. Flyin' low, rooster tailin', blarin' sound systems, you name it. They be stylin'... So, we turned off on a trail that went down to the bottom of a gorge. Crossed a creek which feeds into the Wolf River (WWI Medal of Honor winner, Alvin C. York's stompin' ground). Climbed out on another road. Not a single Razr did we encounter on that round. Guess it's tough doing rooster tails over rock step-ups over 2-feet high for 50 feet at a stretch. You have to go slow to keep it on its wheels. I didn't have a passenger, but I'm around 215 and had over 100 lbs of gear (coolers, tools and such) in the bed. Climbed like a cat, never had to max the throttle--just keep steady pressure. Never bogged down. Always had power to spare and could accelerate if I wanted. How many gears do these guys need? At 57, give me torque over inertia any day...
Hardwaterflyer, jawquin and jim1 like this.
post #18 of 62 Old 09-07-2014, 01:19 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhondaR View Post
How many gears do these guys need?

One more low gear would be great. Two more lower gears would be fabulous. I want a tractor crawl like my all time favorite 2004 Honda Rubicon 500 has for up and down steep hills
DG Rider likes this.

Last edited by rmk700; 09-07-2014 at 01:24 AM.
post #19 of 62 Old 09-07-2014, 11:12 AM

GhondaR, I have noticed the same thing riding at the big atv parks. I will see tons of RZR, but they are always on the main trails never on the hard ones. Yea you see them doing crazy hard stuff on youtube but that's the rich guys that can fix them after every ride if they break. Normal everyday riders don't do that. At a park in NC they wouldn't come with me and another pioneer in the rivers.

jawquin and GhondaR like this.
post #20 of 62 Old 09-07-2014, 09:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG Rider View Post

you think by know someone would have a chip to correct that and options to gear it diff

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page