Pioneer Low end power - Page 3 - Honda Pioneer Forum
 40Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 62 Old 09-08-2014, 03:21 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
To the OP,


Look up youtube video of the big red pulling 6 round bales.




Some people's pioneers apparently won't pull themselves, others will pull 5x times the rated capacities. Who knows.


Mine seems fine. I have no real complaints, its never failed to pull anything I've hooked to it, and I've paid zero mind to the rated capacities.
jawquin and randall27 like this.
binfordw is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 62 Old 09-08-2014, 07:52 AM
Senior Member
 
Farmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmk700 View Post
Nope, I'm 49 and my 2014 Pioneer 700 4 is way to high geared for me and my slow paced farm usage..


Haha, I knew someone would disagree.

I Like Girls.

Get your tailgate to lay flat by ordering new cables here...

Standard... https://www.ebay.com/itm/131687181672

Heavy Duty Stainless Steel... https://www.ebay.com/itm/132419193225

Now on Amazon... https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...&condition=new
Farmer is offline  
post #23 of 62 Old 09-08-2014, 08:13 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 220
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by binfordw View Post
To the OP,
Some people's pioneers apparently won't pull themselves, others will pull 5x times the rated capacities. Who knows.

I have been watching these forums. Guy A says his Pioneer will climb a mountain at 6,000 feet throwing 30 foot rooster tails, and Guy B says his won't climb an anthill at 1,500 feet.


Somewhere along the line someone is exaggerating or too proud to admit the faults of the Pioneer.
Farmer, randall27 and somethingnuw like this.
toomanytoys is offline  
 
post #24 of 62 Old 09-08-2014, 08:23 AM
Senior Member
 
Farmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by binfordw View Post
To the OP,




Mine seems fine. I have no real complaints, its never failed to pull anything I've hooked to it, and I've paid zero mind to the rated capacities.


Same here. You would think Honda would be offering assistance to the problem childs. My new pickup was a pig the 1st year. They re-flashed the computer and it is like new again.

I Like Girls.

Get your tailgate to lay flat by ordering new cables here...

Standard... https://www.ebay.com/itm/131687181672

Heavy Duty Stainless Steel... https://www.ebay.com/itm/132419193225

Now on Amazon... https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...&condition=new
Farmer is offline  
post #25 of 62 Old 09-08-2014, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanytoys View Post
I have been watching these forums. Guy A says his Pioneer will climb a mountain at 6,000 feet throwing 30 foot rooster tails, and Guy B says his won't climb an anthill at 1,500 feet.


Somewhere along the line someone is exaggerating or too proud to admit the faults of the Pioneer.

This....
randall27 is offline  
post #26 of 62 Old 09-08-2014, 11:42 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Peace River, Alberta
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
we need real owners to post video's of these machines working or Honda had to let a few go for test rides in real world situations... never have i seen so much desire for a machine that's shrouded in possible negative aspects...

HONDA if your reading this... update this machine or give us real demos... if we could dispell the myths i bet this machine would sell off the shelves every year... if not there are a lot of guys like me that won't pull the trigger

The 700 with the paddle shifter like the 500 is all i'd need... give me that and this would be the perfect machine for my family... i'd buy it over any other brand...
norcalmendo likes this.
somethingnuw is offline  
post #27 of 62 Old 09-08-2014, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator
 
toodeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 2,490
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Garage
You are getting real world answers but the problem is everyone's use and expectations are different. I have told Honda for years the Rincon (the power plant in the SXS) needed a low range. Can it do the job without it? Yes, most of the time but it would do the job easier with it.


Around here I haven't had any power complaints. most would like them to go a touch faster for road traveling but that's about it. We are setting only at 2,200 elevation though. I have a couple customers with a pair of BigReds (father/son). One they say won't pull a hill with any weight in it (including a passenger), the other they have no complaints on and say it has plenty of power. That's 2 of the same machines (09 and 12 models) being used in the same conditions with 2 different outcomes. Personally I think the cam is bad in the 09 but they won't let me tear into it.
randall27 and somethingnuw like this.
toodeep is offline  
post #28 of 62 Old 09-08-2014, 02:19 PM
Senior Member
 
scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Lyman SC
Posts: 1,111
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
I read all the comments here and i don't understand. Toodeep has is right, different expectations. I find myself when using my pioneer to haul or pull, thinking it can't do it cause all the stuff i read here. But every time it does it just fine. Had 960lbs in it friday and saturday even more weight at times. Driving up hills ruts creeks 14 hour days doing food plots. Not once has the pioneer not done what i have tried. Could it use a lower gear yes. But it's pretty dang good without it.



scott is offline  
post #29 of 62 Old 09-08-2014, 07:35 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Prescott Valley, Arizona
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
My 700 2 had no problem at 9,300 feet and I run 30 inch Katana Mongrels. I always have a light load and needed a top speed of 50 mph on some fast road sections. I can stop on a steep hill and turn all 4 wheels to dig 4 holes. For heavy loads I would install the 24 inch Pioneer 500 tires and the take offs should be available at the dealers. Honda should be announcing some new models tomorrow, hope one is a side by side. I have had mine for 3 months and have over 4,000 miles on it now. High mileage on a Honda is no problem but try that on a belt drive model. Most brands need an all new belt drive system every 8,000 to 12,000 miles depending on brand at a cost of around $1,500. My Pioneer is my 10th side by side and I just ordered another one for a different setup. I'm a retired automotive engineer and have been retired for 18.5 years. I go riding 6 days a week. Kawasaki has the best build quality. My buddy bought my 08 Teryx with over 15,000 miles on it and couldn't be happier with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060288.JPG
Views:	261
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	14849  
somethingnuw likes this.
hondabob is offline  
post #30 of 62 Old 09-08-2014, 08:16 PM
Senior Member
 
DG Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Chino Valley, AZ
Posts: 903
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondabob View Post
My 700 2 had no problem at 9,300 feet and I run 30 inch Katana Mongrels. I always have a light load and needed a top speed of 50 mph on some fast road sections. I can stop on a steep hill and turn all 4 wheels to dig 4 holes. For heavy loads I would install the 24 inch Pioneer 500 tires and the take offs should be available at the dealers. Honda should be announcing some new models tomorrow, hope one is a side by side. I have had mine for 3 months and have over 4,000 miles on it now. High mileage on a Honda is no problem but try that on a belt drive model. Most brands need an all new belt drive system every 8,000 to 12,000 miles depending on brand at a cost of around $1,500. My Pioneer is my 10th side by side and I just ordered another one for a different setup. I'm a retired automotive engineer and have been retired for 18.5 years. I go riding 6 days a week. Kawasaki has the best build quality. My buddy bought my 08 Teryx with over 15,000 miles on it and couldn't be happier with it.
So what have you done to the Pioneer that gives it so much more power than the Big red you had?
DG Rider is offline  
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome