40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 85 Old 09-10-2014, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Garage
I really don't think there is a chip out there that will gain you 3-4 HP on the Pioneer. It would be nice but I highly doubt it will ever happen.

That electric blower setup would need a computer to monitor the blower speed with the throttle position and then deliver the correct amount of fuel to accomplish everything. I had a friend use one of those cheap ebay "NOS" sneaky pete kits on his 450 once. He said it was the funnest 5 minutes he ever had on the machine. Oh boy did it cost for those 5 minutes though.. lol
adnoh likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 85 Old 09-10-2014, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaPower View Post
Has anyone toyed around with changing the stall converter on the pioneer, or finding a way to run a lockout switch. I've been thinking about it, and wondering if that could solve the lack of power issue.

I noticed in thick mud, it never reaches a point to where it will start spinning the tires decently. I don't think is a lack of power but more of a to tall gear and a to high stall. Lowering the stall could get the tires moving sooner.
I don't think there is anything out there that shares the same converter so the chances of seeing something aftermarket are very, very slim. The cost to produce wouldn't equal out in the end. The price tag on Hondas converter will make you cringe.
post #13 of 85 Old 09-10-2014, 10:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
IMO there is no fixing the Pioneer's gearing and or power issues aftermarket without compromising the reliability of the machine, or spending stupid amounts of money on it. There are the big bore kits which would increase hp but from all I've read they hurt reliability.

Honda is the only one that can fix this issue.........will they? Who knows.

To the OP, don't worry about complaining there are just certain individuals on this board that pitch a fit every time someone has an issue with THE honda. They complain that it gets brought into every thread and then they can't stay out of the treads that are specifically about THE honda's short comings. It's pretty obvious there is an issue by now, it's fine if it works for the folks that live low and only work with it. But Honda marketed it as a crossover sxs. It's plain and simple not a "all" place capable machine period. It's a most or some place capable machine.

2012 Rzr 900XP Voo Doo Blue
2014 Honda Pioneer 4 Red
2013 Polaris 550XP Red (Kids)
2009 Suzuki 90 (Kids)
2009 Suzuki 50 (Kids)

post #14 of 85 Old 09-10-2014, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I took this thread as a "performance enhancer" thread more than a "complaint" thread. I guess it's how you read it. I guess I see threads like this (make my machine perform better than factory) all the time so I don't think of them as a complaint thread.

The cheapest and easiest way to make the Pioneer perform is going to be a gear reduction in the motor. It has been a long time since I had the back of these motors apart so I'm not even sure there would be room for it. I have a couple junk Rincons though that I might look into to see if it would be possible. Then it's as easy as finding the correct gears or getting them made.. lol
somethingnuw likes this.
post #15 of 85 Old 09-11-2014, 10:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Mine performs 99% of what I expect to perform like (1% is the front shocks)
post #16 of 85 Old 09-11-2014, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
After so many years of modifying machines that didn't suit my needs, or my expectations, dropping thousands of dollars for parts and machine work, spending countless hours tuning and tweaking I have found its not worth it.

I had a 300EX, I didn't want a 400EX, I wanted to be different.

Four Stroke Tech fully built 352CC Big Bore Stroker
Custom Axis Shocks
+4 Axle
+2 A-Arms
and a whole boat load of other parts.

Do you know what I had? A machine that was a beast, was faster and more powerful than a 400EX. But, a 400EX with a pipe, jet kit, air filter, and a few other tweaks was almost there. A 416, 440, ect would run me over and I was maxed out on power. Not nearly as reliable and had cooling issues and other problems.

Moral of the story if you Pioneer doesn't meet your expectations or have enough power, sell it and buy something that does. There are better machines than a Pioneer out there for not a whole lot more money. Not saying the Pioneer doesn't make some people happy, but those expecting a power house super SXS, well you are gonna have a bad time.
Hawk53 and somethingnuw like this.
post #17 of 85 Old 09-11-2014, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Anyone that buys a pioneer that wants a power house super SxS is just plan dumb. Pioneer was never intended to be that. And i think most people know that. For one there is no power house super SxS. They all have there problems and weakness.

Hawk53 and oakescharles like this.
post #18 of 85 Old 09-11-2014, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSFI View Post
IMO there is no fixing the Pioneer's gearing and or power issues aftermarket without compromising the reliability of the machine, or spending stupid amounts of money on it. There are the big bore kits which would increase hp but from all I've read they hurt reliability.

Honda is the only one that can fix this issue.........will they? Who knows.

To the OP, don't worry about complaining there are just certain individuals on this board that pitch a fit every time someone has an issue with THE honda. They complain that it gets brought into every thread and then they can't stay out of the treads that are specifically about THE honda's short comings. It's pretty obvious there is an issue by now, it's fine if it works for the folks that live low and only work with it. But Honda marketed it as a crossover sxs. It's plain and simple not a "all" place capable machine period. It's a most or some place capable machine.
thanks for your honest post... you said enough... i will wait another year see what i can find used or hope Honda updates the machine...if not Kawi here i come. my guess is honda hasn't found a fix to add more power but keep reliable because they really don't care about RnD in our market... they are more concerned selling a 250l made in Thialand to billions of people in emerging economies as that will make them more money... and using the same engine in diff machines is just a huge money maker... i've seen this in their bikes... honda is riding on their heritage more so then making new updated machines that are advanced... and why not... WE KEEP buying them...Why? cause they are still good... look at honda 450x... it now old technology but imhop one of the better bikes out there still... so why update it...

Still I won't buy this machine... too bad...

Thanks again for everyone's input.. We are a family of 5 and i weigh 265 lbs... i need a machine with some grunt... we hunt, ride for fun and work... i was really hoping this machine would cut it... but come on... 36 hp??? This machine would be sell a lot more with the same shifter as the 500...

If honda cared... they'd update this machine asap... guys have the same complaint about the Pioneer as the Big Red... this machine has great feature but Honda still hasn't listened... IMHOP... go ahead flame me now... but never in a forum have i seen the same issues come up over and over again... Power... it/s bs a guy spends so much on these and while reliable has to worry it wont climb a hill or what after market stuff gets more power. My wife will be riding with other sxs and watching them climb hills may put an inexperienced rider in danger... again just my opinion... i could n't imagine my wife... loaded with my kids climbing a grunt of a hill and not being able to make it...

one day if Honda ever adds a big v twin to this machine it would probably sell more then any other machine out there... and i'd put my money where my mouth is...

thanks again to everyone on this forum your post have been honest and in general your classier bunch then other forums im on...

Last edited by somethingnuw; 09-11-2014 at 03:02 PM.
post #19 of 85 Old 09-11-2014, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Your money...But if you are in elevated terrain stay away. But I have had a Ranger XP, RZR, Rhino and I have had to do it all over again. I would put my money down on a Pioneer 4. PS. I am 240 with a Family of 4, who hunt and fish, climb hills.
somethingnuw likes this.
post #20 of 85 Old 09-11-2014, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
In high elevation yea i wouldn't get one either. I use mine to trail ride with 4-5 people in it and never have came across something it couldn't do. I also hunt with it carry tools seed and rocks and people all around my hunt club not once has it failed at doing anything. You will always have some buyers that buy it and want tons of power and some buying it to be a trailblazing SxS. Them people where dumb for buying it. One thing you have going is you know what you want and you want power. Good luck on whatever you get. IMO if the Kaw had a bigger bed i would say get it, but for hunting and trail riding it has no room bed is just to small. Polaris 4 seat is a bus to big for trail riding. 5 person family needs a 4 seat SxS so it's limited any way you look at it. You are screwed one way or another. That's why i said there is no super SxS.

somethingnuw likes this.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page