2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 10-22-2014, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Exclamation Pioneer 700 Recalled because of Fire Hazard

There has been a recall on the Honda Pioneer and it affects about 15,400 units. Honda has received 10 reports of fires being ignited underneath the Pioneer. NObody was injured, but you should still get your Pioneer checked out.

The reason for the fire is actually a little funny. It seems that dead vegetation and debris being caught in the underside of the vehicle and being ignited by the heat of the adjacent exhaust system.

Quote:
Dead leaves and branches can be trapped behind the skid plate as the Pioneer 700 passes over obstacles on its trail, and the heat of the exhaust line will eventually dry them out, eventually igniting them. As the vehicle travels forward, the stream of air underneath the SxS brings more oxygen and helps the debris burn, with potentially severe results.
So you should check under your Pioneer and see if anything is stuck there. Your Honda dealer can give you a free repair to solve the issue.

Fire Hazard for Honda Pioneer 700, the SxS Receives Recall Notice - autoevolution
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-22-2014, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Garage
There are some pictures of the debris on the plate, the old plate compared to the new plate and a lot of discussion in this thread.

Pioneer recall
post #3 of 11 Old 10-22-2014, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Oh, I didn't realize there was a thread already. It seems that the problem was known a while ago but it is just being recalled now I guess.

post #4 of 11 Old 10-22-2014, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Ya, most don't see it as an issue. If your check your oil and there is debris on the skid, remove it.. lol Some people just drive until the oil change light comes on or it dies. Those are the people that need the recall done.
Rancher Guy likes this.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-23-2014, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
I guess this is just a reminder to take care of your vehicle. If you just take a look at your pioneer every once in a while to check for problems and wash it and such then you should be able to avoid this problem.
post #6 of 11 Old 10-23-2014, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
fire hazard

Well I am the owner of a 700 pioneer that caught fire. We had cleaned the skid plates off by washing the unit off with water when needed. But this time we had used the machine for several hours and then parked it. With in minutes it caught fire. It was lucky that we had a fire extinguisher handy or we would of lost the machine. When I called Honda to report the fire I was told they had no report of any issues with fires. Very funny that 6 weeks later they issue a recall. Not to happy with how this issue was handled. The skid plate is solid and very close to the drive train and exhaust. If you are driving in very dry conditions with tall grass or cut grass watch out
Rancher Guy likes this.
post #7 of 11 Old 10-23-2014, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin-it View Post
Well I am the owner of a 700 pioneer that caught fire. We had cleaned the skid plates off by washing the unit off with water when needed. But this time we had used the machine for several hours and then parked it. With in minutes it caught fire. It was lucky that we had a fire extinguisher handy or we would of lost the machine. When I called Honda to report the fire I was told they had no report of any issues with fires. Very funny that 6 weeks later they issue a recall. Not to happy with how this issue was handled. The skid plate is solid and very close to the drive train and exhaust. If you are driving in very dry conditions with tall grass or cut grass watch out
My buddy's Can Am Commander 1000 had a similar issue... Started smoking like crazy and he had to start pulling interior compartment pieces off to get to where the flames were starting. They've added some sort of screen to better keep out debris and he's further wrapped the exhaust near the area in question..
post #8 of 11 Old 10-23-2014, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin-it View Post
Welcome to the forum. Was there any damage done or did you get it out fast enough. I wouldn't think it would take much to get the oil filler hose on fire.
post #9 of 11 Old 10-23-2014, 08:01 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Garage
There is noway a pressure washer will get that stuff out,,,sometimes i have to pick at it for and hour to get the stuff out....no only does it catch fire but in wet conditions it will also hold moisture that will rust,or freeze and warp the machines skid plate.....Keep the machine clean and it will better serve you.
post #10 of 11 Old 10-24-2014, 12:04 PM
OLT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Rust alone is enough to scare me about this, it's like cancer, will spread to just about anywhere.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page