5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 35 Old 04-29-2015, 11:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swsebek View Post
I got to see one yesterday and it didn't stand out in a room full of Polaris and Vikings.Two seater and just ok,but a nice try at sport SXS.Hope Yamaha does better.
The Wolverine is marketed by Yamaha as a recreational vehicle, not a sport vehicle. It fits that category, it's not for work or all out blasting. For trail riding, it's perfect. Excellent steering with the eps model, good cabin room, the best cvt on the market, stop on a dime brakes, and the KYB shocks make it ride as smooth as any sxs available.
Dislikes I hear are: no tilt steering, no sliding seat adjustments, and the cvt whine is loud at high rpm.
I expect Yamaha to address those issues on future models.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 35 Old 04-29-2015, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alloutdoors View Post
What are they willing to sell a Wolverine for? Reason for asking, the MSRP is $13K and would agree, a nice looking unit but $3K above a 700-2 Pioneer and at that price, $13K, a number of units can be considered at that price. I too, will be anxious see a Wolverine see one soon.
Very very very good point. The $3k difference in price on otherwise similar UTV's would give the Honda a big advantage IMO.

Future:
15 KTM RC 390

Current:
16 MV Agusta F3 675 RC
15 Yamaha Superjet 701
15 Honda Pioneer 500
14 Husky FE350

Past:
10 Honda CRF250R
08 Yamaha Superjet
08 Kawi Ninja 250R
07 Kawi 900 SX-R GP
06 Kawi 900 SX-R GP
06 Kawi 800 X-2
05 Kawi KX250
05 Kawi 800 SX-R
05 Hydrospace S4 180
04 Honda CRF250R
03 Kawi 800 SX-R
03 Kawi KX125
02 Yamaha YZ250
01 Kawi KX125
98 Kawi 750 SXi Pro
96 Yamaha Blaster
post #13 of 35 Old 04-29-2015, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alloutdoors View Post
I do believe there will be a push by all players (Honda, Polaris, etc.,) to develop a line of units which cut across work and play more purposely. More specifically, I anticipate something like a RZR/Ranger combo, which may prove to be popular.
I just hope that doesnt come at the expense of the more specific lines such as Utility & Performance. Then again, who wouldnt want a UTV that does everything! haha

I think this is the golden age of UTV's. It wont last forever. There are so many options and like I said earlier, 3 distinct classes (utility/rec/sport) to choose from and a vast variety of brands.

Future:
15 KTM RC 390

Current:
16 MV Agusta F3 675 RC
15 Yamaha Superjet 701
15 Honda Pioneer 500
14 Husky FE350

Past:
10 Honda CRF250R
08 Yamaha Superjet
08 Kawi Ninja 250R
07 Kawi 900 SX-R GP
06 Kawi 900 SX-R GP
06 Kawi 800 X-2
05 Kawi KX250
05 Kawi 800 SX-R
05 Hydrospace S4 180
04 Honda CRF250R
03 Kawi 800 SX-R
03 Kawi KX125
02 Yamaha YZ250
01 Kawi KX125
98 Kawi 750 SXi Pro
96 Yamaha Blaster

post #14 of 35 Old 04-29-2015, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Ok drove one today. No dump bed the tail gate is like a pull out type. The hitch is awful i wouldn't use it to pull much made thin and weak. The shocks are awesome it rides good. The rears shocks are long but the fronts are short and doesn't seem like there is enough down travel. It's got get up and go too. But it's more geared to trails not work. It's got a nice skid plate but it's welded on which i don't get that. What if you need to get under motor or something. Seat aren't bad if you like seating low. Door handles are badass tho. I don't like the hood are the looks of the front end. Bed looks cheap and weak walls. Would not buy for work no way. Would make a nice trail SxS tho. Hitch is way to weakly made i pull a trailer all the time. Hate the turn knob 4x4 too.

swsebek likes this.

Last edited by scott; 04-29-2015 at 02:48 PM.
post #15 of 35 Old 04-29-2015, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
The local Yamaha dealer is down the street from my barber shop, I got my haircut this afternoon and decided to check them out. They had a few wolverines outside and I decided to look them over. I didn't drive it, but get this......the salesman comes out and starts telling me a little about it. Little does he know that I love looking at this kind of stuff and knew more about it than he did. he tells me the new wolverines 708cc single has more hp and torque than a RZR 900. I laughed at him and we proceeded to argue for the next 10 minutes about it. Not a good impression the first time you look at one of these and have the salesman all out lie to you. Won't be buying from them. I love yamaha and have a grizzly 700 but they need a twin option with a little more power.

I looked on Carbs website and the 2016 wolverine is listed at 47.59 hp. A little bit under 75hp.

look here for yourself
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/...040272_708.pdf

Ransom Proctor

2014 Grizzly 700
2013 Ranger 900XP
2008 Sportsman 500
2009 Honda Recon ES
2006 Predator 90
post #16 of 35 Old 04-29-2015, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott View Post
Ok drove one today. No dump bed the tail gate is like a pull out type. The hitch is awful i wouldn't use it to pull much made thin and weak. The shocks are awesome it rides good. The rears shocks are long but the fronts are short and doesn't seem like there is enough down travel. It's got get up and go too. But it's more geared to trails not work. It's got a nice skid plate but it's welded on which i don't get that. What if you need to get under motor or something. Seat aren't bad if you like seating low. Door handles are badass tho. I don't like the hood are the looks of the front end. Bed looks cheap and weak walls. Would not buy for work no way. Would make a nice trail SxS tho. Hitch is way to weakly made i pull a trailer all the time. Hate the turn knob 4x4 too.
geared for trails, not work, exactly. Rhino skids are welded on too, it's a Yamaha thing. the engine is accessible if you take the bed off, about a ten minute job
post #17 of 35 Old 04-29-2015, 09:20 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swsebek View Post
I got to see one yesterday and it didn't stand out in a room full of Polaris and Vikings.Two seater and just ok,but a nice try at sport SXS.Hope Yamaha does better.
Actually.... hope HONDA does even better now.

Back and forth 'better battle' is always good for all of us.
post #18 of 35 Old 04-29-2015, 09:26 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Scott, my idea of work SXS is a tractor crawl. Does it crawl slow, slow, slow at even high revs?
post #19 of 35 Old 04-29-2015, 11:33 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmk700 View Post
Scott, my idea of work SXS is a tractor crawl. Does it crawl slow, slow, slow at even high revs?
No its low is about the same as the pioneer but you can rev it higher in low than you can the pioneer cause the pioneer will go to 2nd lol. You will slip the belt tho or burn it. But no it isn't a low -- low range by no means. It's loud too. Whining is very loud at about 20mph in high. My friend is going up there in the next few days to buy it so he says. If he does i will get some real seat time and pass it on. Like i said it would be a dang good trail SxS and if i was going to buy a CVT SxS Yamaha is the only one i would buy. But i want a 1000cc SxS next. So wait and see for me... Honda is coming out with something like this Yamaha trust me..

Last edited by scott; 04-29-2015 at 11:46 PM.
post #20 of 35 Old 04-30-2015, 04:19 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Love the report. With every post it seems the P700 is a much better machine.

I guess I was too impressed by the much improved dash & door situation on the Wolverine over our Rhino.

In some ways, it almost seems like the Wolverine has gotten away from what made the Rhino so great.

Future:
15 KTM RC 390

Current:
16 MV Agusta F3 675 RC
15 Yamaha Superjet 701
15 Honda Pioneer 500
14 Husky FE350

Past:
10 Honda CRF250R
08 Yamaha Superjet
08 Kawi Ninja 250R
07 Kawi 900 SX-R GP