Pioneer 700-4 Shift Lever Engagement - Honda Pioneer Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 06-21-2019, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Pioneer 700-4 Shift Lever Engagement

I have a 2017 Pioneer 700-4 purchased new. I find it extremely annoying how much force it takes to engage the shift lever from Neutral to Reverse and Neutral to Drive. The loud "clunking" sound when performing the shifter engagement is equally annoying. Is there any modification available to solve these issues? As an aside, I recently drove a Kawasaki and the shift lever movement is effortless and quiet. It seems like Honda really dropped the ball on this. Thanks in advance for your ideas/suggestions!

Last edited by Ted_K.; 06-21-2019 at 07:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-22-2019, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Garage
Does it seem to be idling high? Your shifting a sub transmission and if its idling fast it will put pressure on the gears and make it shift hard or engage hard (clunk).

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 6 Old 06-23-2019, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodeep View Post
Does it seem to be idling high? Your shifting a sub transmission and if its idling fast it will put pressure on the gears and make it shift hard or engage hard (clunk).

I don't believe that it is idling too high, but possibly. Do you know spec for the idle speed? Much of my training, background, and skills, lie in things mechanical. Truthfully, I didn't realize that engaging the lever from Neutral to forward or Reverse was moving a gear. I assumed that since the Pioneer has an Automatic transmission, I was simply moving a valve that directed oil flow. I also assumed the clunking was caused by a detent configuration that holds the shift cable in the desired location/position. Bad assumptions on my part I guess. Part of my reason for purchasing a Honda was the automatic transmission, while prior experience with the reliability of Honda ATVs was the other determining factor. I just don't care for belt drives. I spent several years around snowmobiles and spent as much time working on them as riding them Thanks for your response!

post #4 of 6 Old 06-27-2019, 10:08 PM

2nd the clunk

Doesnt sound like a smooth operating system
post #5 of 6 Old 06-28-2019, 07:00 AM

I was all set to buy a 500 sxs when I got home from the dealer I bought my 750 BF from but after talking to a lady with one and seeing how it shifts first hand I decided to keep what I have for now. I owned 2 polaris 500,s over the years and never had an issue with the beltdrive in fact I liked it. Not sure why Honda went with the auto transmission but from what I read they are a problem shifting.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-28-2019, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Garage
The 500 is a manual, gear to gear transmission. They did make it so the computer shifts for it but it's still an electric shift 500 Foreman motor.

The 700 is an automotive style transmission with a torque convertor and a sub transmission for drive and reverse. The transmission has been out since 03 in the rincon.

The 1000 is a gear to gear transmission but uses 2 different clutches to engage a series of gears to make it an automatic. That style first came out in 09 in the 420 dct automatic rancher. It also uses a subtransmission for high/low/neutral/reverse/park.

With all of them, any pressure on the gears will make them hard to shift.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page