Poor traction in the snow - Page 2 - Honda Pioneer Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 68 Old 02-13-2014, 09:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Traction is 99% tire. Compounds, tread design etc. snow traction has little to do with the machine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 68 Old 02-13-2014, 10:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I got out today to play in our ten inches of dress snow. You think traction is bad in snow, add some incline to that snow, and it gets even worse. I also found standard 4WD not much help. Had to engage the differential lock

But I had fun

realtreegrizzly likes this.
post #13 of 68 Old 02-13-2014, 11:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
You also have to take into account that there is about 100 different types of snow and almost every storm will give you a different experience. I have seen snow the snowmobile would hardly go in.
I was riding in the same type of snow as the ATV's around me were.

post #14 of 68 Old 02-13-2014, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fins View Post
I got out today to play in our ten inches of dress snow. You think traction is bad in snow, add some incline to that snow, and it gets even worse. I also found standard 4WD not much help. Had to engage the differential lock

But I had fun

Like I always say when in doubt ream it out

“The fascination of shooting as a sport depends almost wholly on whether you are at the right or wrong end of the gun.”
---------------------------------------------------------------
2014 PIONEER 700-2
2005 rubicon
2006 500 foreman
2013 625i gator
2010 ram 1500 4x4 crew 5.7 hemi
post #15 of 68 Old 02-14-2014, 12:02 AM

I had fun, too. It's just not what I expected.
post #16 of 68 Old 02-14-2014, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapy View Post
Traction is 99% tire. Compounds, tread design etc. snow traction has little to do with the machine.
I have to disagree with that. Driver, motor, gearing, weight, tires all play a big part

Weight all of those factors equally.

If one of those factors really sucks, such as tires, you drop from an A+ (100%) to B- (80%) really fast. Then minus a few points here and there on the rest and you end up with an F- !

Moose

Why do people call you Moose? Cause calling me Elk sounded funny

The Convoy

2014 Honda 700-4 (Optimus)
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
2013 Polaris Outlaw 90 (Smokescreen) (kids)
2009 Suzuki King Quad 750 axi (Bulkhead)
2008 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R
2008 Harley Davidson 1200 Nightster (hers)
2007 Dodge Charger Daytona R/T Sublime 781 of 1500
2006 Harley Davidson Night Train
post #17 of 68 Old 02-14-2014, 04:50 AM

Speaking of gearing, do you think the Pioneer could have benefitted from a low range?

I used to plow snow (admittedly, nowhere near the amount of the one we just got) with the ATV in 2WD (with 9yo almost slick tires). I'm just having a hard time believing there's that much difference.....in a tire.

Not saying I don't believe you. I'm saying it's a tough thing for me to believe. It's also an expensive leap of faith to switch out rubber on a new machine!

**Edit.... Also, due to the height of my opening (in the storage building - 83" clear), I'm not sure if I can up-size my tires or not. You would think the OEM size would be OK. But, you would also think the OEM tires would be.

Last edited by DBCooper; 02-14-2014 at 05:10 AM.
post #18 of 68 Old 02-14-2014, 05:48 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
These were never designed for snow, once we got 10 - 12" up here they were out of business except for plowed roads.

But I am surprised the ATV's went so much better than you, they are lighter and shouldn't be any better.

Enough snow.. where is spring?

Don't feed the bears no matter what they tell you!
post #19 of 68 Old 02-14-2014, 07:02 AM

I wish I'd taken video. A friend of ours lives at the end of the road (1.7mi) and he had a friend over riding his ATV (my buddy has a UTV, also). He was making laps around the field like he was in a NASCAR race. My wife and I slipped and slid that far....to see that???....lol

I saw several ATV's while I was out, yesterday. None seemed to have my issues.

Again....I plowed THIRTEEN of my neighbors' drives, yesterday. It did great, IMO. We admittedly got a BIG snow, for here. There's likely a foot that fell.

I love the Pioneer. I just wish it was better in the snow. For my needs....for over 90% of the time, it'll be great. But, one of the things I used to look forward to with the ATV, was going riding in the snow. Unless I get this worked out (and no....I don't want to have to put on chains and add weight to the rear, every time I want to ride in the snow.....I'm sorry), I won't be doing that.
post #20 of 68 Old 02-14-2014, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I don't really understand. We have had some heavy snows this year, and I've been pretty impressed. You can't expect a machine to pull itself when its belly is lifting its weight off the tires from dragging in deep snow.

I will agree it feels squirrely in snow. I believe this is mainly due to the locked rear, I had a jeep that was locked front/rear, and it was awful to drive in snow. However, it would go like ****, just perhaps not the direction you pointed it

I drove some county roads that were heavily drifted/closed in the pioneer, and then later in a 4wd truck. The truck has more ground clearance, and felt very similar in its limits as to where it could go compared to the Honda. I tried to pass through a section of closed road in the Honda, and got hung up. It took me 10 minutes or so to get backed out, mainly due to the reverse limiter preventing much tirespin. A neighbor had come down in a tractor thinking I would need pulled out, he reached me as I finished turning around in the road. The first thing he said was he was surprised at how well it did in the snow. (He has a Kubota rtv)

In short- it goes like **** in snow IMO. I would be shocked to see a UTV with the same ground clearance and similar tires go any better in deep snow.

This is its "limits". I backed out of this, and even turned around (30 point turn!) in the drift in the road. I don't see how you could expect any better? Perhaps tracks are in your future?

foggy and Moose like this.

Last edited by binfordw; 02-14-2014 at 07:32 AM.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page