Poor traction in the snow - Page 3 - Honda Pioneer Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 68 Old 02-14-2014, 08:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I don't know about these not being made to run in snow. I didn't buy a sxs to just drive on the road on sunny days.

I don't put chains on or run weight in mine, but if you have sh*t tires on something, those are two ways to make due with what you have.

I have lots of video of me going through snow too.

I give the Pioneer way higher marks than an ATV in snow.

Moose

Why do people call you Moose? Cause calling me Elk sounded funny

The Convoy

2014 Honda 700-4 (Optimus)
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
2013 Polaris Outlaw 90 (Smokescreen) (kids)
2009 Suzuki King Quad 750 axi (Bulkhead)
2008 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R
2008 Harley Davidson 1200 Nightster (hers)
2007 Dodge Charger Daytona R/T Sublime 781 of 1500
2006 Harley Davidson Night Train
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 68 Old 02-14-2014, 08:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm just going to drop it. I'm not going to apologize for being honest, and I shouldn't have to apologize (nor should anyone else) for the machine.

The fact of the matter is, the ATV's I was in touch with, had no issues (that I could tell) in this snow (admittedly a foot). I did/do. Maybe they were all running aftermarket tires. I don't know (nor does anyone here). I never added weight to my ATV.....or ran anything other than stock tires. It would run circles around the Pioneer, and I routinely plowed in 2WD.

When it comes time to re-up my tires, I'll consider going big.
post #23 of 68 Old 02-14-2014, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Tires definitely make a difference I have a 500 rubicon and a 500 foreman basically the same machine. Side by side in the exact same location my rubicon will out perform it has a set of kenda executioners the foreman is running stock tires I do notice the factory tires tend to have a donut shape only the center of the tire touches the ground the executioners tend to be flat across as do the bh 2.0 on my gator which performs better also

“The fascination of shooting as a sport depends almost wholly on whether you are at the right or wrong end of the gun.”
---------------------------------------------------------------
2014 PIONEER 700-2
2005 rubicon
2006 500 foreman
2013 625i gator
2010 ram 1500 4x4 crew 5.7 hemi

post #24 of 68 Old 02-14-2014, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
binford, I see you have a mid panel with the hard roof. I like that. Does it fit well with the hard roof? Also you should submit this photo in the next photo contest if there is one.

2014 Pioneer 700-4 olive
2005 Foreman 500 ES 4x4
2005 Rancher 350
1994 TRX 300
post #25 of 68 Old 02-14-2014, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
I don't know about these not being made to run in snow. I didn't buy a sxs to just drive on the road on sunny days.

I don't put chains on or run weight in mine, but if you have sh*t tires on something, those are two ways to make due with what you have.

I have lots of video of me going through snow too.

I give the Pioneer way higher marks than an ATV in snow.
I didn't mean to imply they wouldn"t run in the snow just they are not designed to run in snow. If they were they would have all the same size tires, a lot different tread and would perform better in snow. As they are they are about the same as a jeep which is not bad, you need get used to driving in snow it is an aquired skill.

More and more people in the snow regions are buying these to get almost 4 seasons out them. There is nothing worse than buying a new snowmobile and not getting any snow. They even started selling 2 types of atv trail passes here a 3 season and a 4 season. They are starting to groom winter trails for atv's, I have not been on one yet to see how they are because there is not enough around to make it worth while yet. With that being said maybe there will be more thought put into winter performance of these sxs's.

We are like a debate team here, we may not all agree but at the end of the day we kind of sort it out.

Don't feed the bears no matter what they tell you!
post #26 of 68 Old 02-14-2014, 10:52 AM

I know what you meant Dick, but I think there is a lot of people driving these in deep snow or even just ice for the first time. Heck it might be the first time they drove anything in snow.

When they see a post saying "these aren't made for snow" its the mantra they will adopt, if they don't want to put the work in to correct the issue. I don't think that's fair to what I think is one of the best traction to the ground vehicles I've ever driven.

I have fielded probably 50 PM's this week on this subject along with the posts... I feel like I'm stuck in this snow right along with them.

I'm just trying to convey that the Pioneer is only part of the equation. You need to be willing to add and subtract from that equation to get it to equal what you want.

Some people like the stock tires. I don't. I saw how they affected my King Quad. It went from being a goat in the snow, to spinning its tires trying to back up in 4 inches of the stuff.

For some, tires aren't the answer. More time behind the wheel in these conditions is. For some weight in the back, for others, braking in the tires or maybe let the air out.

I regularly drive with the belly dragging in the snow. It does it. I have video of it climbing a snow bank. I have video of it climbing a pile of overburden covered in snow and it never spun a tire. The machine will do it people.

Don't get down on yourselves or your new machine. Don't stand in the garage beating your head against the wall. You can do this.

Dick likes this.

Moose

Why do people call you Moose? Cause calling me Elk sounded funny

The Convoy

2014 Honda 700-4 (Optimus)
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
2013 Polaris Outlaw 90 (Smokescreen) (kids)
2009 Suzuki King Quad 750 axi (Bulkhead)
2008 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R
2008 Harley Davidson 1200 Nightster (hers)
2007 Dodge Charger Daytona R/T Sublime 781 of 1500
2006 Harley Davidson Night Train
post #27 of 68 Old 02-14-2014, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaPioneer View Post
binford, I see you have a mid panel with the hard roof. I like that. Does it fit well with the hard roof? Also you should submit this photo in the next photo contest if there is one.

Actually- no, it doesn't really fit well. It does mount fine, no interference with the top, but there is a 2-3 inch gap between the hardtop and the midscreen. I guess since the single hardtop curves down behind the seats, and the 4p hardtop doesn't.

My goal was to be able to close off the front seats in the cold weather. I filled the gap above it and it does work for what I wanted.
post #28 of 68 Old 02-14-2014, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by binfordw View Post
Actually- no, it doesn't really fit well. It does mount fine, no interference with the top, but there is a 2-3 inch gap between the hardtop and the midscreen. I guess since the single hardtop curves down behind the seats, and the 4p hardtop doesn't.

My goal was to be able to close off the front seats in the cold weather. I filled the gap above it and it does work for what I wanted.
Thanks for the info. I sure am tempted to get one even if I have to seal the top.

2014 Pioneer 700-4 olive
2005 Foreman 500 ES 4x4
2005 Rancher 350
1994 TRX 300
post #29 of 68 Old 02-14-2014, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtreegrizzly View Post
I have a gator 625i that will run circles around my pioneer in 2wd I was on my pioneer and my son was on the gator he was going places in 2wd I couldn't go in 4wd.
This is just plain silly, both to me and physics. Has to be an emotionally fueled overstatement?

Last edited by binfordw; 02-14-2014 at 12:23 PM.
post #30 of 68 Old 02-14-2014, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by binfordw View Post
This is just plain silly, both to me and physics.
The only thing I can think of it has to be the tires The front diff on the gator does not lock only the back
It's a shame the gator wheels won't bolt on the pioneer that would solve the mystery

“The fascination of shooting as a sport depends almost wholly on whether you are at the right or wrong end of the gun.”
---------------------------------------------------------------
2014 PIONEER 700-2
2005 rubicon
2006 500 foreman
2013 625i gator
2010 ram 1500 4x4 crew 5.7 hemi

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page