2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 Old 10-13-2014, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
think the pioneer is cooked..now what

SO i bought a brand new 2014 honda pioneer 700-4 and loved it for the first 5 trips. took it back to the dealer for the first service and my first ride out after that the machine backfired like crazy. Took it easy and put it up. Took it out the next day to test it and the machine is POURING blue smoke out the exhaust. I also noticed the fan does not cut on any more to cool the machine down. I put 6 hours on it since it was serviced by the dealer and it had a clean bill of health. Now my problem is the dealer has had it for 2 weeks and still hasnt even touched the machine. I asked them for a diagnosis and they told me it might be a while before they can even get to it as a honda rep is going to have to make a special trip out to see the machine first hand. What is an appropriate amount of time to wait or what should i be doing differently to make this process a little faster? Its under warranty plus i paid for an extended warranty. I called Honda and they were absolutely no help. I asked if i should take it to another dealer and they told me no just to wait it out. Thanks for any help in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 10-13-2014, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmon1 View Post
SO i bought a brand new 2014 honda pioneer 700-4 and loved it for the first 5 trips. took it back to the dealer for the first service and my first ride out after that the machine backfired like crazy. Took it easy and put it up. Took it out the next day to test it and the machine is POURING blue smoke out the exhaust. I also noticed the fan does not cut on any more to cool the machine down. I put 6 hours on it since it was serviced by the dealer and it had a clean bill of health. Now my problem is the dealer has had it for 2 weeks and still hasnt even touched the machine. I asked them for a diagnosis and they told me it might be a while before they can even get to it as a honda rep is going to have to make a special trip out to see the machine first hand. What is an appropriate amount of time to wait or what should i be doing differently to make this process a little faster? Its under warranty plus i paid for an extended warranty. I called Honda and they were absolutely no help. I asked if i should take it to another dealer and they told me no just to wait it out. Thanks for any help in advance.
I am a little confused here.
You said the very next ride after the service it backfired, but then you mentioned putting 6 hours on it and it had a clean bill of health? Clarify please.

Blue smoke is traditionally oil smoke...but then again, i have seen over choked machines also smoke blue so the "traditional" causes aren't always the case. Coolant is usually white, but with all the new fangled coolants out there, i wouldn't put my faith in just the color either. Have you checked the coolant/oil?

Certainly, it seems like the dealer may have done something wrong....

Toodeep will be the best help here, but i think you're stuck waiting. I had a CBR600F4 bought new with a tick BITD, and it seems like the dealer had to let the rep approve the warranty time to tear into it after listening to it. At least that's what i was told. I also find it odd that they haven't seemed to try any diag as to the problem, or so you were told. Makes me wonder if they know and aren't telling.

Keep us updated.

Last edited by DG Rider; 10-13-2014 at 08:01 PM.
post #3 of 47 Old 10-13-2014, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
to clarify better. They said the machine looked perfect and I was good to go, as expected. the first trip out after the service consisted of putting out deer stands and then sitting a dove field. Within in minutes of putting out the stands i noticed it had a small, light sounding back fire when i accelerated or suddenly let off the gas. Didnt think much of it. After getting the stands out we went for a hunt. By this time the machine was sounding like it was shooting a gun off every time i touched the gas. We let the machine sit for a while and cool down, thats when we noticed the fan wasnt turning on. Turned it back on and took it the barn. The next day i go back out to check the machine out and try to get a better understanding of whats going on. I cranked it up and and it fired right up but smoke was pouring out the exhaust. Blue smoke. Oil levels seemed fine and the coolant was all topped off and the exhaust didnt smell like coolant. According to the dealer all they did was adjust the valves and change the oil for the first service. I think they adjusted the valves wrong or something. And my fan not turning on is very suspect also. Would there be a problem taking the machine to a dealer what has a better reputation? I am hearing horror stories about who i am dealing with.

post #4 of 47 Old 10-13-2014, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I took it out for a day of prepping some deer stands. at first the back fires were very light and not loud, but by 3-4 hours in they were very noticeable and something was apparently wrong. Turned the machine off let it cool down, thats when we noticed no fan coming on. After sometime passed and it cooled down I took it back and it backfired the entire way. Put it up that afternoon. Came back the next day to try to take a look at it and see what what was up and soon as i cranked it it poured smoke. probably messed with it another 30-45 minutes and then called it quits. Oil level and coolant level seemed ok but it did not run very long after it started smoking. I am considering moving it to another shop because i have heard horror stories about the shop i am dealing with and everyone has recommended using a different one.
post #5 of 47 Old 10-13-2014, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Wonder if the dealer done a valve adjustment. The popping noise sounds like maybe a wrong valve clearance issue. Maybe to tight and sucking oil past the valve ?????

Just a opinion not a diagnosis

“The fascination of shooting as a sport depends almost wholly on whether you are at the right or wrong end of the gun.”
---------------------------------------------------------------
2014 PIONEER 700-2
2005 rubicon
2006 500 foreman
2013 625i gator
2010 ram 1500 4x4 crew 5.7 hemi
post #6 of 47 Old 10-13-2014, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtreegrizzly View Post
Wonder if the dealer done a valve adjustment. The popping noise sounds like maybe a wrong valve clearance issue. Maybe to tight and sucking oil past the valve ?????

Just a opinion not a diagnosis
your opinion is exactly what i was thinking though. has to be. is there any kind of damage that can result from this?
post #7 of 47 Old 10-13-2014, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
It seems strange they would need the rep to look at it before they even know what the problem is. Sounds like there may be more to the story then they are telling you.

When you said you shut it off to let it cool down and the fan didn't come on. They are not like a car the fan will only come on with the key on.

Don't feed the bears no matter what they tell you!
post #8 of 47 Old 10-13-2014, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
yeah, i know. key was on but not the motor and no fan. I am thinking they messed it up at the service on accident or its just a bad motor from the factory. I asked the Honda rep about getting a new motor since the machine is so new and he said not gonna happen they will only repair what they find to have damage. Kinda bummed about that.
post #9 of 47 Old 10-13-2014, 11:55 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Garage
@ryanmon1 Sorry about the delays on the postings. For some reason your posts are getting put into moderation so we have to approve them before the other members can see them. A few more posts and that problem shouldn't be around anymore.

On to the problem.. If you are not comfortable with this dealer go get it and take it to one you are comfortable with. Either they screwed up or Honda did during manufacturing. I'm kind of wondering about the valve tappet clearances but that shouldn't really cause the problems. An overly oiled air filter could but that would have to be some really good filter oil and a lot of it.

Was any lights blinking on the display? Possibly they forgot to plug in a sensor wire (cooling) and you overheated it. If it's a shitty dealer they will find that and try to pass it off as something else, something Honda will not cover. I don't want you to have a bad experience with Honda because of a bad dealer trying to cover their rear.

I never wait for a rep when a problem comes in. I tear it down, find the problem and fix it. I can deal with Honda after the customer is happy. The reps don't know anything unless it's torn down anyway. I just text my rep pictures if I have a bad problem and haven't had any problems getting stuff covered.
post #10 of 47 Old 10-14-2014, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
No lights ever came on the display to indicate anything was wrong. The only thing i noticed was when it was smoking there was a very noticeable loss in power. The day before though, even with all the backfiring, no power loss. Im waiting on them to find something and say its my fault and its not under warranty but they will have to flat out lie if they go that route and im told to be prepared for that route. I hate lawyers but this is what they are for if that happens.
Will another dealer do the work even if i didnt buy it from them? Thats the only concern I have about moving it to the another shop. Think I might call them and check.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page