Pioneer 700 Spark Plug Upgrade - Page 2 - Honda Pioneer Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 Old 12-27-2015, 06:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
@toodeep I know this is kind of an old thread, but the last couple of mornings I have had a heck of a time getting the "Riggo" to start. It was -10 F yesterday and -13 F this morning and never acted like it even wanted to fire. I tried the throttle instructions like the manual and @Moose talked about but it took forever to get it started. My rig has about 1700 miles on it so I thought maybe a plug change was in order. I was looking through some of your posts about changing the plug to the iridium version but when I look up the plug for my '15 it says it takes a NGK cpr6eb9. Just was curious what your thoughts were or experience was pertaining to the plug difference between the '14 and '15. Would the NGK IFR5L 11 be an option for my '15. Thanks
AndrewsSeed likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 Old 12-28-2015, 07:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj_oreo View Post
@toodeep I know this is kind of an old thread, but the last couple of mornings I have had a heck of a time getting the "Riggo" to start. It was -10 F yesterday and -13 F this morning and never acted like it even wanted to fire. I tried the throttle instructions like the manual and @Moose talked about but it took forever to get it started. My rig has about 1700 miles on it so I thought maybe a plug change was in order. I was looking through some of your posts about changing the plug to the iridium version but when I look up the plug for my '15 it says it takes a NGK cpr6eb9. Just was curious what your thoughts were or experience was pertaining to the plug difference between the '14 and '15. Would the NGK IFR5L 11 be an option for my '15. Thanks
@tj oreo the 14 models only had one plug where as the 15's have two, probably why they are different.

Red '15 700/4
post #13 of 15 Old 12-28-2015, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allgm1 View Post
@tj oreo the 14 models only had one plug where as the 15's have two, probably why they are different.
I was curious about that. One interesting thing I found was that honda oem parts diagram for sites like RMAtv and Ronnie's shows even 2 plugs on the '14 models. I knew there was only 1, but just found that kind of odd that they had the wrong picture. I will probably just change it out to what I had and give it a try. I really didn't want to ride at that temp, but I am in the process of building a plow for the front of my rig and was wondering if it would even start in this cold weather. I was really disappointed. I started it 2 days ago at about 8 above and it seems to start fine, but the next 2 days it took over 5 plus minutes to start. I finally had to add a battery charger to get it going. I think I will be trying to add some synthetic oil too, to see if that helps. Thanks for the reply.

post #14 of 15 Old 12-28-2015, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Garage
They just use a general picture on the parts fische but when you try to order the part it has different numbers and quantities. I haven't had any starting issues with the newer ones with the dual spark plugs. Do you let the fuel system cycle before trying to start it or crank the motor over right away? The 14 model seemed to start better in the cold not waiting. Turn the key on and start turning the motor over right away for about 3-4 seconds, shut everything off and then do it again. I've done that on quite a few different ones and everyone started on the second time.
post #15 of 15 Old 12-28-2015, 11:04 AM

Thanks @toodeep I let the pump cycle like normal so I will try to start it right away next time. The first day I had trouble I was kind of shocked that it didn't want to start, especially when it started like normal the day before in the single digit temps. I didn't even act like it wanted to start, it just keep cranking. My fuel was fresh from a reputable station and I just can't think of anything different, so I was looking at your information on the plugs and thought I might look at them. I might also give the synthetic oil a try, but I didn't know if the 10w-30 or 40 was still too thick at these temps or if I should try some else. I know some one was talking about 0w-40 from ams, but I was thinking about Mobil or the Honda 10w-30 synthetic. I've just been running the honda stock oil in it. I live in southern Idaho so like you see big temp swings. This morning it was a heat wave at 11 above. Thanks for your time.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page