6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 04-29-2015, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Steering Troubles

Tonight I received my RZR 800 rear shocks and swapped them out for the front shocks in the Pioneer. What a great upgrade.

Unfortunately, on my way back to the pit after making some adjustments, my front right tire wacked a small stump and fully extended the steering to the right. When I got to the open road, the steering wheel was tilted to the left at about 10 O'clock when I was driving in a straight line. I got home and jacked up the front. I put the steering wheel straight. This resulted in the left tire being straight but the right tire being slightly tilted to the right. I couldn't identify any bent parts. I took a look at the microfiche (2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4 (SXS700M4 3AC) STEERING GEAR BOX / TIE ROD | Ronnie's Mail Order) and I noticed part ref # 1. Could this part be deformed causing the misalignment? Or is there some other part that is most likely causing the misalignment?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 04-29-2015, 11:55 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
I have no idea about what you are asking about. Just was going to tell you there is a guy on the facebook group making new A-Arms for the 700. Froward arched or lower arched. Front and rears. If you did need new a arms.

post #3 of 21 Old 04-30-2015, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Hi Dennis, usually when you bend a tie rod it causes a toe-in condition and it sounds like your describing a toe-out condition but when you say tilted I visualize a camber issue. Could be a bent control arm also.
Are you sure the steering wheel wasn't always off center to begin with? Most all Pioneers come with the steering wheel off center and most of us didn't even notice until someone mentioned it.

Don't feed the bears no matter what they tell you!

post #4 of 21 Old 04-30-2015, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
I stand corrected a bent tie rod would cause a toe-out condition on these. I had a brain fart this morning thinking the steering box was in front of the axle.
These type mistakes happen more as you get older .
Rancher Guy and Springer like this.

Don't feed the bears no matter what they tell you!
post #5 of 21 Old 04-30-2015, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Garage
I would guess the tie rod is bent just a little also. Loosen the lock nut and try adjusting the wheel straight again. I bet you can see a little bend in it while adjusting it.
post #6 of 21 Old 05-08-2015, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick View Post
I stand corrected a bent tie rod would cause a toe-out condition on these. I had a brain fart this morning thinking the steering box was in front of the axle.
These type mistakes happen more as you get older .
No problem. Thanks for the response. My brother had a mechanic buddy come over and take a look at it. He said that he thinks that the ball joints are bent. I originally believed it was the tie rod. So, I bought new ball joints, a tie rod, and tie rod end. You can't really determine what is bent until it is out of the machine. Especially a slight bend.

I removed the A-arms and hub. The ball joints don't look bent. I'm not even sure how you could bend a ball joint since it is free to rotate. I'm going to press out the ball joints and remove the tie rod, then compare them to the new ones. I'm hoping I didn't bend an A-arm or A-arm mount. I'll post my findings and maybe some pictures later.
Dick likes this.
post #7 of 21 Old 05-08-2015, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick View Post
Hi Dennis, usually when you bend a tie rod it causes a toe-in condition and it sounds like your describing a toe-out condition but when you say tilted I visualize a camber issue. Could be a bent control arm also.
Are you sure the steering wheel wasn't always off center to begin with? Most all Pioneers come with the steering wheel off center and most of us didn't even notice until someone mentioned it.
My steering was fine when new. It was drastically different after I hit the stump. Also, you can see that the front passenger side tire is towed out and the camber has changed (Top is further out).
post #8 of 21 Old 05-08-2015, 09:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis112885 View Post
My steering was fine when new. It was drastically different after I hit the stump. Also, you can see that the front passenger side tire is towed out and the camber has changed (Top is further out).
It has to be an a arm or mount tie rod only effects tow not caster or camber

Get out the tape measure and start comparing to the other side

“The fascination of shooting as a sport depends almost wholly on whether you are at the right or wrong end of the gun.”
---------------------------------------------------------------
2014 PIONEER 700-2
2005 rubicon
2006 500 foreman
2013 625i gator
2010 ram 1500 4x4 crew 5.7 hemi
post #9 of 21 Old 05-18-2015, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
So I measured the A arm mounts on each side of the pioneer and my numbers matched up. I installed upper and lower A arm assemblies, new tie rod, new tie rod end and I still have wacky looking camber angle on the side that was impacted. I switched the front wheels and spun the wheel. No wobble. So it's obviously not the wheel or hub because a bent wheel or hub would be noticeable. The only other thing could be the knuckle. I inspected the knuckle and there were no cracks. Can cast aluminum bend? Should I throw another part at it?
post #10 of 21 Old 05-18-2015, 11:24 PM

So did the rzr shocks help low speed trail riding....what yea shocks did u buy?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page