KFI Winch Mount for P500 - Page 2 - Honda Pioneer Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 44 Old 11-12-2014, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Garage
I deal mostly with the Moose brand of plow but the 60in clears a 53.5in path when angled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 44 Old 11-12-2014, 01:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Thanks Posterboy. That looks mounted higher than the Honda mount. Either way, I prefer it higher like that.

Crookedcreek,

Here's a link to a review I wrote on the KFI plow when I had it mounted on my Renegade.

http://www.atvtorture.com/product-re...v-plow-system/

I later mounted it to my 2012 Brute Force before selling it with the quad. Based on toodeeps measurement, you would be good with a 60 fully angled. I typically plow straight blade and only the first notch left or right for cleanup.

Last edited by doolin64; 11-12-2014 at 04:05 PM.
post #13 of 44 Old 11-12-2014, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
The higher mount location probably makes sense due to water/mud. That said, i'm a bit surprised it isn't designed to go in the winch mount "location" of the p500.

Two months ago I was going to mount my winch in this higher location with scrap metal but decided to wait for the KFI mount so it would be in the "right" location.

post #14 of 44 Old 11-12-2014, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
The mount can be ordered through wps on Wednesday of next week. I just paid for one. Dealer said everything should be here before thanksgiving. I did the 60 inch blade, tubes and mount. They took to long on the winch mount and I did a Honda mount with a viper 5k elite.
post #15 of 44 Old 11-12-2014, 04:04 PM

Post up pics when you get everything in an on!
post #16 of 44 Old 11-12-2014, 07:07 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Thumbs up

Thanks Guys,
doolin64, nice review and article, well done! Reinforces my intended direction.
Posterboy, Thanks for the photos, they explain a lot that I couldn't understand from just the shop photos KFI sent me.
I like the high mount, myself, better than mounting the winch "in the hole", like the Honda and Strong Made designs. As much as keeping the winch up and out of the dirt, mud and snow, I think it will allow the winch to lift the snow blade higher when backing up (which my circumstances will require a lot).
I have to complement all you guys on this forum for the good and timely responses, subject knowledge and willingness to communicate in a friendly and understandable fashion...Bravo to all!
post #17 of 44 Old 11-12-2014, 10:25 PM

For some reason I love talking plows and winches. Maybe because I had so many.

One weird bit about the Superwinch was the wiring. I just don't know what it was for, but it came with the wiring and I wired it up.

Finished product

I wanted a front mount plow and sold my KFI (not a wise choice). I also wanted a County Blade. So I ordered up a new Warn county blade with front mount. After 4 blades...yes 4 that were shipped damage, I opted for a straight blade. If you call Montanajacks.com they'll still remember me (they were great). Thinner guage steel overall. It was an ok plow, but I didn't miss it when I sold my Brute.

post #18 of 44 Old 11-12-2014, 11:32 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Garage
Superwinch is the only winch (and maybe a couple of those really cheap throw away winches) that use the circuit breaker. I never liked them since they never fit good and take up a lot of space.
post #19 of 44 Old 11-13-2014, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
A question to toodeep , doolin64, Posterboy, and friscoguy (and others that have relative experience):
It sounds like there may be some Superwinch fans, and others, not so much. I'm totally new at this winch game (like in never owned or used one!), so I want to try to make the right decision on the purchase. I've read a lot of very positive reviews on the Terra line. I'm thinking the Terra 35 mounted on the KFI mount discussed/shown above.
toodeep; Can you elaborate on the negative aspect of circuit breakers and your comment about "they never fit good and take up a lot of space"? I don't want issues with the fit on the KFI mount arrangement (which though,looks to me, to be better than "in the lower hole"). If so, maybe I should be considering a different winch. Or, perhaps a lower capacity winch would be physically smaller and fit better(?).
I'm not looking to start a big "Chevy/Ford/Mopar debate" here, just looking for experienced input from those "that have been there-done that".
post #20 of 44 Old 11-13-2014, 12:06 PM

For me, the Superwinch worked just fine. The size of the winch was not an issue on my Brute. The price was crazy cheap and their headquarters are literally down the road from me in Putnam CT. Unfortunately no direct sales to the public and the winches are made overseas anyhow. Either way, the only challenge was where to place that circuit. And it really wasn't a challenge. I just didn't want to leave it fully exposed, so I wrapped it with an inner tube and then zip tied it under my seat against the battery lid. This was on an atv application. I have to imagine there's plenty of room to neatly wire this up on the Pioneer.

**Edit** if you look at the first picture in post #17 you can see in the background where I have zip ties in place.

On the flip side, my Renegade came with a Viper winch. I don't know if they've made changes since, but the contactor box was huge. Almost comical in size. It looked like a Looney Tunes detonator for dynomite.

All my other winches have been Warn. Money no object, I really like the Warn winch stuff. It's just neatly packaged compact parts like the contactor etc. But now there are so many options of cheaper priced winches that work just fine. I'm not a mudder and don't do extreme hill climbs where a winch is my only option. Thus my winch is used for plowing 99% of the time. For that reason, the cheaper ones now bet my money. I also can't say any of the lesser winches performed any better or worse than the Warns.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page