Honda Pioneer Forum

Honda Pioneer Forum (https://www.hondapioneerforum.com/forum/)
-   Pioneer 500 Accessories & Add Ons (https://www.hondapioneerforum.com/forum/pioneer-500-accessories-add-ons/)
-   -   Ballistic Performance Evo2 Battery project (https://www.hondapioneerforum.com/forum/pioneer-500-accessories-add-ons/15017-ballistic-performance-evo2-battery-project.html)

JCart 12-06-2014 01:23 AM

Ballistic Performance Evo2 Battery project

Hey Guys,

Picked up an 12 cell Evo2 410 CCA Lithium deep cycle battery tonight and am gonna use it as an auxiliary on P5. It's tiny 11 cm by 10 cm by 8.6 cm. Has I think the equivalent (if I understand correctly) 20 amp hour reserve of a lead acid battery. As it's a lithium it can be mounted in any direction as well it doesn't leak and supposedly will only loose 10% of charge if left sitting for a year (not that that'll happen on P5). I've run a bunch of AGM type batteries specifically Optima yellow tops (in my 7.3 litre power strokes) and Blue tops in TT and other gear. Had really good success with them and NO battery post corrosion, I hate that messy sheeeit.

The notion is to hook a battery isolator up on it (I think) and use Dicks write up as a guide. Use it for the Terra 35, VisionX solstice LED lights and other gear. It occurred to me the other day when we finally got a little winter temps of -25 C that there is no pull starter on P5 so hopefully this will assist when it gets cold and running auxiliary gear. P5 fired right up BTW, liking the EFI on this machine didn't miss stutter just fired and idles smooth instantly.:D

Now to find a good spot for it! I'll take some pick when I sort a home for it.

jrc

doolin64 12-08-2014 09:19 AM

Under the hood?

Ballistic 12-08-2014 10:28 AM

Hi,

This came to our attention via a Google Alert and I thought I might stop by and give some input before you use our product in an application that it was not to be used. I hate to be the bad news guy, but this battery is not going to work in the application you are trying to use it in.

1. - The 12 Cell EVO2 is not a "deep cycle" battery. It is a starter battery. Our product is a lightweight, high performance starter battery meant for use in high performance vehicles.

I would highly recommend you read the FAQ section here: Ballistic Performance Components

2. - The 12 Cell EVO2 is a 6.9 Amp-Hours (A/hr) battery. Not a 20 A/hr battery. We do not recommend you use our batteries as an auxiliary battery because it only has a faction of the stock batteries A/hr capacity and if drained below its minimum voltage of 9.0 volts can become damaged.

You can see all the specs here: EVO2 12 Cell, Ballistic Performance Components

Ballistic Performance Part Number: 100-012
Parts Unlimited No.: 2113-0260
Dimensions (Metric): 114(L) x 87(w) x 112(h)
Dimensions (Standard): 4.5(L) x 3.5(w) x 4.25(h)
Negative Terminal Location: http://www.ballisticparts.com/btgfx/rightNeg.png
Weight: 2.4 lbs
Voltage (Charged): 13.6V
Amp/Hours: 6.9 Ahrs
Burst Cranking Amps: 360 (5 sec @ 70F)
OPERATING ENVIRONMENT: -18C (0F) to 60C (140F)

3. - You are correct that the EVO2 12 Cell has a static discharge rate of 10% per year, but the key to this phrase is "static." This means it won't discharge on it's own while nothing is drawing from it. If you are running accessories and plan to use those accessories while the vehicle is not running, then the those accessories will have much more dramatic effect on the EVO2 6.9 A/hr battery compared to the stock 14 A/hr battery.

4. - You will notice in the specs above that we only rate the battery down to 0F (-18C). Below this temp threshold the battery will not work at all. If you try to use it in -25C weather, then the battery will not work.

If you have a high performance vehicle that you want the absolute lightest, most powerful, starter battery available then the EVO2 12 Cell would be a great choice. If you have a Pioneer that you use in cold weather and you want to use the battery as an auxiliary battery outside of the charging system, you will be disappointed.

JCart 12-08-2014 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ballistic (Post 207921)
Hi,

This came to our attention via a Google Alert and I thought I might stop by and give some input before you use our product in an application that it was not to be used. I hate to be the bad news guy, but this battery is not going to work in the application you are trying to use it in.

1. - The 12 Cell EVO2 is not a "deep cycle" battery. It is a starter battery. Our product is a lightweight, high performance starter battery meant for use in high performance vehicles.

I would highly recommend you read the FAQ section here: Ballistic Performance Components

2. - The 12 Cell EVO2 is a 6.9 Amp-Hours (A/hr) battery. Not a 20 A/hr battery. We do not recommend you use our batteries as an auxiliary battery because it only has a faction of the stock batteries A/hr capacity and if drained below its minimum voltage of 9.0 volts can become damaged.

You can see all the specs here: EVO2 12 Cell, Ballistic Performance Components

Ballistic Performance Part Number: 100-012
Parts Unlimited No.: 2113-0260
Dimensions (Metric): 114(L) x 87(w) x 112(h)
Dimensions (Standard): 4.5(L) x 3.5(w) x 4.25(h)
Negative Terminal Location: http://www.ballisticparts.com/btgfx/rightNeg.png
Weight: 2.4 lbs
Voltage (Charged): 13.6V
Amp/Hours: 6.9 Ahrs
Burst Cranking Amps: 360 (5 sec @ 70F)
OPERATING ENVIRONMENT: -18C (0F) to 60C (140F)

3. - You are correct that the EVO2 12 Cell has a static discharge rate of 10% per year, but the key to this phrase is "static." This means it won't discharge on it's own while nothing is drawing from it. If you are running accessories and plan to use those accessories while the vehicle is not running, then the those accessories will have much more dramatic effect on the EVO2 6.9 A/hr battery compared to the stock 14 A/hr battery.

4. - You will notice in the specs above that we only rate the battery down to 0F (-18C). Below this temp threshold the battery will not work at all. If you try to use it in -25C weather, then the battery will not work.

If you have a high performance vehicle that you want the absolute lightest, most powerful, starter battery available then the EVO2 12 Cell would be a great choice. If you have a Pioneer that you use in cold weather and you want to use the battery as an auxiliary battery outside of the charging system, you will be disappointed.

Hi Ballistic,

Thanks for the heads up on your product and links to further info and data. I will unfortunately return this battery to the Honda Dealer where I purchased it and enlighten their parts staff, as I was clear on my intention of usage.

Further to your info here and am in need of a deep cycle/starter battery that operates in varied climate (-30 to +40 C) any suggestions for something compact? Not wanting a standard lead acid would prefer an AGM type mount any direction battery.

Thanks ever so much, appreciate your honest input on this product.

jrc

JMSimmons 12-08-2014 02:12 PM

@Ballistic Welcome to the forum, awesome first post :D

Dick 12-08-2014 02:19 PM

Nice to see that there are still some stand-up companies around!

doolin64 12-08-2014 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick (Post 208073)
Nice to see that there are still some stand-up companies around!

x2 Ballistic is on top of their web presence.

cmorris 12-08-2014 09:04 PM

Wow, talk about all eyes watching - that is pretty cool and scarey at the same time!!

toodeep 12-08-2014 09:32 PM

Google has to search the web otherwise the search would be useless, so the key word to trigger the alert isn't that scary to me. It is cool that Ballistic set up with them to keep an eye on reviews and products. It's really cool they took the time to join to protect a consumer from using their product for which it wasn't designed. These batteries must be designed more for the racing side (lawnmowers come to mind in my area) and what you would find in a booster pack.

Ballistic 12-09-2014 09:15 AM

Hi Guys,

My name is Chip by the way. Didn't mean to be anonymous.

We of course want customers using our product to be successful and have a positive experience. I saw this and thought that this might be an opportunity to help somebody before they got too deep.

Our EVO2 and EVO3 batteries work great on performance vehicles (that are used above freezing) and where the customer wants to remove unnecessary weight from the vehicle. Primary applications are sportbikes, dirtbikes, ATV's, jetski's and performance side by sides.

In a utility side by side, I would use the standard Yuasa AGM battery as a starter or an auxiliary battery. One of our new EVO3 24 Cell batteries will get you close to the stock battery in A/hr capacity (13.2A/hr vs 14A/hr) but it will cost a lot more and the temp issue will always be a problem with current Lithium technology.

In short....the best solution to your specific problem is the a quality Lead-Acid (AGM) battery.

If you buy a TRX450R, CRF450X, or a CBR1000RR this summer....check out our stuff!