post #1 of 12 Old 01-12-2015, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Performance modifications

Hi Guys,

Have had communications with folks at Dobeck Performance and they are looking into fuel controller for the Pioneer 500 (already make one for the P700).

This is an excerpt from our e-mails:
In the meantime, if you wanted to take pictures of the injector connectors, where each color wires are pinned in the connectors and pictures of the O2 sensor connectors and pinning colors, that could help with development.
Also a picture of the exhaust would help determine a good placement for the wideband O2 sensor that is required with the AFR+.

As I don't have access to my Pioneer 500 until January 27 (I'm on vacation) was wondering if someone could help out and snap a few close up pix and post em up, then I can direct Dillon (from Dobeck) to 1. See pix as requested and 2. Potentially gauge interest....

Thanks

jrc

Green 2015 P5
ITP 212, 5/2 offset
26x11by12" AMS Slingshots all corners
Blue Sea Mini Add a Battery Kit
Terra 35, Synthetic Line, KFI mount
KFI mount and 66" blade
Custom UHMW skid plate, fender extenders
Lexan roof
In the works, stix stoppers (rear), cab enclosure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-12-2015, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
What exactly will the fuel controller do for the performance of your Pioneer? I have always felt that if you are looking for a performance oriented UTV/ATV, it might be worth looking at a more recreation oriented vehicle.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-12-2015, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
What exactly will the fuel controller do for the performance of your Pioneer? I have always felt that if you are looking for a performance oriented UTV/ATV, it might be worth looking at a more recreation oriented vehicle.
On a stock machine it will do little to nothing. It depends on how well the stock map is done, and Honda typically does a very good job with this. When you start adding pipes and filters or other mods is where they are needed.

I thought the 500 already had an O2 sensor in the exhaust? So all you would need to do i replace it with the wideband.

Those gen 4 dobeck controllers look slick.

post #4 of 12 Old 01-12-2015, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
My motivation is to have a little broader power/torque band. If I could achieve similar results to my 2001 Rubicon with jet kit, exhaust and K&N filter in stock air box would be good enough. Dobecker makes a number of fuel controllers for similar displacement engines and would seem to be a relatively easy rejig of wiring I'd think. The gen 4 looks to be interesting for sure, that combined with intake and exhaust would be fun to try.

The larger tires +- 7lbs per corner and extra 2" in diameter is nice, I prefer the gearing now compared to stock. It lacks just a smidge (MO) top end of 4th and bottom of 5th and with a little broader torque would be spot on is my thinking.

jrc

Green 2015 P5
ITP 212, 5/2 offset
KFI mount and 66" blade
Lexan roof
post #5 of 12 Old 01-13-2015, 01:51 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
So have you decided to go through with this. I am very curious to see how it turns out for you. Any idea when you'll start these mods?
post #6 of 12 Old 01-14-2015, 06:07 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.smith View Post
So have you decided to go through with this. I am very curious to see how it turns out for you. Any idea when you'll start these mods?
Did when I bought the P5, heh heh.... Once I get winch, cab and snow plow installed I'll move onto finding a K&N that will fit in the stock air box and/or review options.

As far as I am aware currently no aftermarket exhaust, K&N (stock replacement) or fuel controllers are made for the P500.

As soon as I get home will be taking pix as requested above and sending off to Dobeck Performance to see if there is interest (for them) to create fuel controller.

I'm curious too as I've not had previous experience with fuel controllers and close looped EFI gas engines. I know Seat of Pants feel of 2001 Rubi as noted above was meaningful to me. The notion here is modest gain that is useful and doesn't compromise reliability, such that I have to constantly wrench on it.

jrc

Green 2015 P5
ITP 212, 5/2 offset
KFI mount and 66" blade
Lexan roof

Last edited by JCart; 01-14-2015 at 06:28 AM.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-14-2015, 12:18 PM
OLT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
With no current availability from aftermarket companies, i wonder if anyone here or on some other pioneer community has plans to do some custom work.
post #8 of 12 Old 01-14-2015, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLT View Post
With no current availability from aftermarket companies, i wonder if anyone here or on some other pioneer community has plans to do some custom work.
OLT my take on this is that the model is very new and unique in some respects (paddle shifters, 50" wide, closed looped EFI) and perhaps the industry (aftermarket) so far is putting efforts into more higher end (hold same notion as Zeus above) performance machines such as RZR's.

The good news is that the 475 CC engine is in other models and shares that tech which has been out for a bit so for exhaust as example may just need reconfigured hangers and slip joints. K&N will have a "custom" sized filter that I'm pretty sure will fit in the stock box that should be easy to order. Fuel controllers are available for the 475 engine model in other applications which may need to be configured for this one. Which Dobeck is looking into.....

What I'm curious to know is the pipe swell down flow of the O2 sensor but before the muffle, if it's a hollow resonator or catalytic converter filled with material to "burn off" emissions? I notice on my machine it takes a while for this "cat" to cool down and what happens if you omit it in terms of performance?

I think in time there will be performance options, IMO what the P5 community needs to do is contact venders to see if they are interested..... Just like I'm doing with Dobeck right now

jrc

Green 2015 P5
ITP 212, 5/2 offset
KFI mount and 66" blade
Lexan roof
post #9 of 12 Old 01-14-2015, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
I think that you are more likely to see accessories like winches and plows and cabs for the Pioneer whereas something like the RZR would get more performance upgrades. It is just a matter of the market that each vehicle is supposed to be playing to.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-14-2015, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
I think that you are more likely to see accessories like winches and plows and cabs for the Pioneer whereas something like the RZR would get more performance upgrades. It is just a matter of the market that each vehicle is supposed to be playing to.
Tend to agree with you Zeus, no question Honda wanted market penetration on the utility side (and a little fun), I think entry level price points position is important too.

I'm not looking for a stump jumping, dune flying rig at all. Mine gear is rationalized as a capable durable work machine first. I show up on the job site with a road legal class 8 race truck..... Let's just say that's not me when the former will do.

jrc

Green 2015 P5
ITP 212, 5/2 offset
KFI mount and 66" blade
Lexan roof

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version