LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 10-23-2015, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Ultimate Superwinch Installation Guide

All,
I picked up a number of useful tips on these threads prior to installing my Superwinch Terra 4500 on my P5. I wanted to combine all the best tips plus some of my own to create the ultimate winch installation guide.
The mounting plate I used was from KFI Products. Its a wonderful fit and allows for the winch to be mounted top side. The Warn kit marketed by Honda uses an upside mount but I like this style much better as the finished product will sit as shown in PIC1. Found mine on Amazon for $50.
Moving on to wiring. Yes its true they will be switched. The shorter red and black cables will go from the solenoid to the winch itself. The longer blue and yellow cables will extend from the solenoid all the way back to the battery box.
But lets start from the beginning. First there are many threads about the use of Hondas accessory Harness when not using the Honda kit from Warn. I purchased it from my dealer just in case. For a measly $10 it proved itself invaluable and Ill explain how in this section. Its Honda part number 08Z08-HL5-A00. One end plugs into the 4P red connector under the hood. Once the harness is plugged in you have 4 open female cables (each of a different color) that receive power when ignition key is on. In the PIC2 Im holding the harness. By the end of my installation I used 2 of the 4 open connections.
So basically the rocker switch needs power as does the optional remote socket if you choose to mount and use it. The Superwinch instructions tell you to splice into the ignition switch wires. Other threads on these forums have discussed splicing into the 12v accessory wire also. This is where the sub harness came in handy. Instead of splicing anything I bought two male connectors (shown in PIC3) for $1 and crimped on the wires to power the both the rocker switch and the remote socket, then plugged these male connectors into the sub-harness. No splicing needed.
Incidentally there has been much discussion on these forums as to the ideal location to mount the rocker switch and/or socket assembly. PIC4 is where I chose to mount them.
Moving on the solenoid itself is mounted in the only location it can be and the one agreed by all in these forums. As you are facing the front its on the left hand side near the back here Honda left a frame crossmember with openings designed for the solenoid installation. Please see PIC5 the hardware from the superwinch kit will allow you to mount it here.
PIC6 shows how I routed the red and black wires from the solenoid down to the winch. That part was easy.
To run the blue and yellow cables back to the battery I did drop the skid plates. Some if these forums did the same some did not. I figured if it made it at all easier I would do the extra step. Once skid plates were off I initially dropped the blue and yellow wires down from the solenoid, behind the coolant overflow and right alongside a black electrical tube as shown in PIC7. Once that was done it was quite easy to route them along the frame to the back end.
Now here comes the tricky part. Many people have done many different things when it comes to hooking the yellow and blue wires to the battery. In addition, some people have utilized the provided circuit breaker from Superwinch, others have not. Here is what worked for me.
The blue wire (which goes to the negative post) was very easy. There is room for one wire to sneak in with the ones already in place. I simply routed my blue one into the box with the others. PIC8 and PIC9 show two different views of the blue wire one with battery cover on and one with it off.

Now for the yellow wire. PIC9 and PIC10 show how I decided to route it. I ended up drilling a hole in the bottom of the battery box on the left hand side and came up through the hole.
Inside the battery box on the left hand side where my yellow wire came up is a plastic slot. I filed that down just a bit with a Dremel and was able to stand the circuit breaker up. The yellow wire attaches to the bottom of the circuit breaker and the short supplied red one attaches the other end of the breaker to the actual positive post as shown in PIC11 - which I'll have to post separately as I'm exceeded my max file size for this post.
Once everything was connected I zip tied the yellow and blue wires to the frame in spots and put back on the skid plates. Then I tidied up under the hood as best I could be wrapping excess wires for the rocker switch and socket assembly, etc..etc
I truly hope this helps! Thanks to everyone whose ideas helped get me this far.
Kind Regards,
Jason
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic1.JPG
Views:	1778
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	30153   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic2.JPG
Views:	1696
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	30161   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic4.JPG
Views:	1486
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	30169   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic3.JPG
Views:	1407
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	30177   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic10.JPG
Views:	1452
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	30185  

Name:	pic9.JPG
Views:	1295
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	30193   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic8.JPG
Views:	1311
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	30201   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic7.JPG
Views:	1263
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	30209   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic6.JPG
Views:	1214
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	30217   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic5.JPG
Views:	1255
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	30225  

Dick, norcalmendo, Rustell and 3 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-24-2015, 04:33 AM
mts

Well done! That is how I mounted my winch's wiring for the most part. Congrats!

I think this will be of great help to other P5 forum members!

Last edited by mts; 10-24-2015 at 04:41 AM.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-06-2015, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Installed my Terra 35 today, thanks for the help!

2001 Honda Rancher ES Green
2016 Honda Pioneer Red
1993 Mustang Cobra Teal and black cloth interior
2003 Mustang Mach 1 Azure Blue

post #4 of 9 Old 11-06-2015, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boney21 View Post
Installed my Terra 35 today, thanks for the help!
aq

Photo
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	718
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	30954  

2001 Honda Rancher ES Green
2016 Honda Pioneer Red
1993 Mustang Cobra Teal and black cloth interior
2003 Mustang Mach 1 Azure Blue
post #5 of 9 Old 04-01-2016, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
It appears some of the pics had their orientation changed from how I took them. Originally I wrote these procedures up in a word doc with very large pics attached and if anyone wants the docx or the pdf version emailed to them let me know. It's a much cleaner read. Thx!
post #6 of 9 Old 04-06-2016, 12:48 AM
DEK

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Jason,

Thanks much for sharing your "instruction manual". I purchased the same Terra 4500 for my P5. As per your suggestion, I also purchased and installed the KFI mounting plate. It was a perfect fit. Getting the U-bolts around the frame bar was a little tricky but once they're attached along with the other clamps, you can be assured that the plate isn't going anywhere.

I reviewed the manual that came with the unit and your instructions and your instructions won out because yours made more sense, were much clearer and because they came from your personal experience. I would have made a lot of mistakes and wasted much time without your suggestions.

I'm glad you also suggested the wiring harness which made a lot of sense. I was able to purchase one on Amazon for $9. Although, if you're an organization freak like me, you'll still end up doing minimal splicing if you want to remove the excess wiring that runs from the rocker switch and socket assembly to the solenoid. Of course, as you suggested, you can eliminate all splicing by both using the harness and by neatly winding the excess wire up and attaching it all to the frame with a cable tie.

I was most nervous installing the rocker switch and socket assembly into the dashboard but your placement looked neat and convenient. I was able to duplicate with great results. Your placement choice also avoided any obstruction from existing controls. Removing the skid plates was a little tedious but made the cable installation back to the battery a breeze. The most time consuming tasks of the whole installation process for me were removing and replacing the skid plates and getting the wiring into the battery compartment. Overall it was a relatively easy installation.

If anyone reading this is a first time winch owner like myself, besides recommending Jason's instructions, I have one suggestion of my own. This only applies if you're installing a similar winch with synthetic rope. Before trying to thread the rope through the hole in the winch drum, remove all the tape that is already on the end of the rope. Then take electrical tape and do one very tight wind starting about two inches from the end of the rope. When your wind reaches the end of the rope keep winding about another inch past the end to leave an extended "tail". Loosen the set screw on the drum, thread the tape "tail" into the hole far enough to grasp it with a needlenose pliers. Pull the rope through the hole far enough to lay along the drum to the opposite side. Use duct tape to attach the rope to the drum, tighten the set screw and wind the remaining rope over top of the taped end. Had I known this little trick ahead of time I wouldn't have had to wash my mouth out with soap.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-17-2016, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonS View Post
It appears some of the pics had their orientation changed from how I took them. Originally I wrote these procedures up in a word doc with very large pics attached and if anyone wants the docx or the pdf version emailed to them let me know. It's a much cleaner read. Thx!
Hi Jason, would you mind emailing me the word doc to [email protected] ? I would love to put this winch on tomorrow and appreciate it. Thanks!

2015 P500
post #8 of 9 Old 07-26-2017, 12:35 AM

Great instructions!

Thanks Jason.
Superwinch Terra 4500 SR, KFI mount, and the Honda sub-accessory wire harness.
Only change I made was to mount the 50a breaker behind the passenger dash opposite the solenoid.
I put the breaker mount screws right thru the dash warning label, where it is a bit stiffer.
So Yellow lead from battery to breaker, and short Red from breaker to solenoid.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-22-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonS View Post
Hi, please send me the pdf version. Looks like the best way to mount. [email protected]

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page