• 6 Post By HondaSeth

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 01-16-2016, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
$3.99 Underseat storage

Here is my $3.99 underseat storage bin. Now that I see how the plastic behaves when it's melting and bending, I know I can do a better job, but I'm going to leave it for now and see if anyone else comes up with some ideas. This is what did:

1) Buy Rubbermaid waste basket from Meijer. I think you can use a bigger basket than I used. (Product label is in the pics)
2) Make a template of the seat hole using lightweight cardboard from a clothing gift box. (see pics)
3) Stick waste basket in the seat hole and go underneath Pioneer. Mark where basket will hit the frame.
4) Attach 1x2 piece of wood and rubber stoppers to bottom of basket where it will hit the frame. This is to keep the bottom of the basket from hitting the brake line that sticks up over the frame.
5) Put basket back into hole with two 10 lb. dumbbells inside. Make sure stoppers are resting on frame and the basket is not touching the brake line. (see pics)
6) From top of seat hole. Get a Sharpie and draw a line around the basket at the top of the seat hole.
7) Use seat hole template and cut a hole in a piece of plywood.
8) The plastic needs to be sliced so you can melt the sides with a heat gun and fold them over. Now if you just cut the plastic, it will probably continue to tear over time. To prevent tearing, I drilled 3/8" holes at the bottom of each line I planned to cut. (see pics)
9) Stick basket into plywood template. Start heating up the flaps you cut with a heat gun and fold them over, one at a time. After they folded, I clamped them down and heated them up a little more. It seemed like a good idea and I have no data or experience to back that up. The flaps I clamped down with a 2x4 turned out better.
10) Stick the basket back in the seat hole and trim the flaps.
11) Make sure the basket isn't hitting the brake line.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1IMAG00433.jpg
Views:	1230
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	33010   Click image for larger version

Name:	2IMAG00441.jpg
Views:	1286
Size:	514.7 KB
ID:	33018   Click image for larger version

Name:	3IMAG00431.jpg
Views:	1218
Size:	341.3 KB
ID:	33026   Click image for larger version

Name:	4IMAG00435.jpg
Views:	1228
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	33034   Click image for larger version

Name:	5IMAG00442.jpg
Views:	1329
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	33042  

Click image for larger version

Name:	6IMAG00445.jpg
Views:	1172
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	33050   Click image for larger version

Name:	7IMAG00438.jpg
Views:	1135
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	33058  

Pioneer riders do it side-by-side... it looks weird.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 11-21-2016, 02:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaSeth View Post
Here is my $3.99 underseat storage bin. Now that I see how the plastic behaves when it's melting and bending, I know I can do a better job, but I'm going to leave it for now and see if anyone else comes up with some ideas. This is what did:

1) Buy Rubbermaid waste basket from Meijer. I think you can use a bigger basket than I used. (Product label is in the pics)
2) Make a template of the seat hole using lightweight cardboard from a clothing gift box. (see pics)
3) Stick waste basket in the seat hole and go underneath Pioneer. Mark where basket will hit the frame.
4) Attach 1x2 piece of wood and rubber stoppers to bottom of basket where it will hit the frame. This is to keep the bottom of the basket from hitting the brake line that sticks up over the frame.
5) Put basket back into hole with two 10 lb. dumbbells inside. Make sure stoppers are resting on frame and the basket is not touching the brake line. (see pics)
6) From top of seat hole. Get a Sharpie and draw a line around the basket at the top of the seat hole.
7) Use seat hole template and cut a hole in a piece of plywood.
8) The plastic needs to be sliced so you can melt the sides with a heat gun and fold them over. Now if you just cut the plastic, it will probably continue to tear over time. To prevent tearing, I drilled 3/8" holes at the bottom of each line I planned to cut. (see pics)
9) Stick basket into plywood template. Start heating up the flaps you cut with a heat gun and fold them over, one at a time. After they folded, I clamped them down and heated them up a little more. It seemed like a good idea and I have no data or experience to back that up. The flaps I clamped down with a 2x4 turned out better.
10) Stick the basket back in the seat hole and trim the flaps.
11) Make sure the basket isn't hitting the brake line.
This is pretty ingenious. I'm going to do this myself!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page