Honda Pioneer Forum

Honda Pioneer Forum (https://www.hondapioneerforum.com/forum/)
-   Pioneer 500 Tires and Wheels (https://www.hondapioneerforum.com/forum/pioneer-500-tires-wheels/)
-   -   P500 wheel offset - front vs back (https://www.hondapioneerforum.com/forum/pioneer-500-tires-wheels/18409-p500-wheel-offset-front-vs-back.html)

clarks 03-26-2015 12:54 AM

P500 wheel offset - front vs back

If I'm looking at getting aftermarket wheels, it looks like the 5-2 offset is the most common for not sticking out too far (or the closest to oem as possible). Do I get the same offset rear & front or is the offset different on the fronts?

JCart 03-26-2015 01:23 AM

Link to pix

I installed 5-2 on all four corners with tires in sig. Also put 2.5" fender extenders made out of UHMW that aid in keeping the mud out of the cab.

If you purchase larger diameter tires ensure to check the true size some manufacturers don't list the true size and are often under sized. I have 1200 kms on the ones in my sig and they are good so far.

jrc

clarks 03-26-2015 06:15 PM

did you ever measure your total width after the wheel/tire install?
I can't access your link here at work. I will try at home.

I'm leaning towards getting Big Horn 2's or Interco Reptiles both in 26". I was able to check the specs on both & the Reptiles are less than 26"; which reminds me, I need to see if the 25" Bighorns would be about the same size as the 26 Reptiles. If so, going the smaller size but still the same size tire, I would be able to save some money.

swsebek 03-26-2015 06:24 PM

Bh 2.0 are true to size

toodeep 03-26-2015 08:33 PM

@clarks In general you can figure a couple inches wider going with aftermarket wheels. It will be the same wheels for the front and back. Some companies offer a little wider rear wheel though so that depends on which wheels and what you want. If I did a lot of trail riding I would probably run the same size tires and wheels on all 4 corners so you could rotate them easily. When running in 2x4 the rear tires wear faster than the fronts so being able to rotate them (fr to rr) would get the most miles out of the tires.

clarks 03-26-2015 11:29 PM

Cool picks Jcart. I noticed on your skid plate those 1.5" washers that are counter sunk into the thicker plate. I had an issue where I kept getting stuck trying to take my p5 off the trailer. After several attempts, I left it stuck in place & looked underneath, & I was getting stuck on those washers. They bent down a little & where getting hung up on the trailer 1/8" metal.
I changed my 4" drop receiver to the 2" which angled the rear of the trailer down, and hammered those washers up a little.
I like that extra thick material you have.

clarks 03-26-2015 11:29 PM

thanks for the info toodeep.

JCart 03-27-2015 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clarks (Post 245977)
Cool picks Jcart. I noticed on your skid plate those 1.5" washers that are counter sunk into the thicker plate. I had an issue where I kept getting stuck trying to take my p5 off the trailer. After several attempts, I left it stuck in place & looked underneath, & I was getting stuck on those washers. They bent down a little & where getting hung up on the trailer 1/8" metal.
I changed my 4" drop receiver to the 2" which angled the rear of the trailer down, and hammered those washers up a little.
I like that extra thick material you have.

The thicker UHMW is working well so far, been just cringing where I've had it for work running over mechanically brushed (with flail hydro axe) up to 4" stump diameter trees all mashed dried sharp edged and rocks hiding in the grass..... Most certainly the stock skid would have been caved in by now. I countersunk the washers in part to try and get away from your experience and also to use the stock bolts and washers too. The bolts are pretty light duty as I've twisted off two, was lucky with easy out drill on one the other good old vise grips.

jrc