4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 04-23-2015, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
P5-Replaced oem tires with Big Horn 2's-26" - Feedback

Thanks for all the suggestions on this. I just replaced oem's last nite.
Pros: IMMEDIATE notice of much softer ride. So comfortable now.
I'm glad I went with the stock wheels so the tires mostly sit under the machine vs stick out with aftermarket wheels.
The slight chatter/feedback felt from riding on dirt roads is completely gone. Feels like riding on a pillows.

Cons: I think I could've gone with 25" to keep weight down. When I put the oem tire up against the new BH, it was like a 3-4" difference in size (granted the oem tire was by itself & the BH was mounted on the wheel).
Rolling feeling-with these tires, I feel the p5 could possibly roll easier. At least that is the feeling.
500oneer and gatorguy like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-23-2015, 11:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I think most of the Maxxis OEM tires are undersize. I measured my originals, and I think the rears were around 23.5"-23.75" . The 26" Bighorn 2.0 is supposed to be 26.4", so you probably did upsize just under 3".
post #3 of 14 Old 04-24-2015, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarks View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions on this. I just replaced oem's last nite.
Pros: IMMEDIATE notice of much softer ride. So comfortable now.
I'm glad I went with the stock wheels so the tires mostly sit under the machine vs stick out with aftermarket wheels.
The slight chatter/feedback felt from riding on dirt roads is completely gone. Feels like riding on a pillows.

Cons: I think I could've gone with 25" to keep weight down. When I put the oem tire up against the new BH, it was like a 3-4" difference in size (granted the oem tire was by itself & the BH was mounted on the wheel).
Rolling feeling-with these tires, I feel the p5 could possibly roll easier. At least that is the feeling.
Any noticeable power loss?? When you say it could roll easier, you think the bighorns made it roll worse?

2015 Honda Pioneer 500
2013 Honda Rancher 420 2wd
2006 Honda Rancher 350 2wd (traded)

post #4 of 14 Old 04-24-2015, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorguy View Post
Any noticeable power loss?? When you say it could roll easier, you think the bighorns made it roll worse?
I do think there is a slight loss in pwr due to the weight of these tires but they are soo much bigger than oem. If I had to do it over, I would go with 25's.

As far as rolling, it feels like the P5 could roll easier with these tires. I tested just driving on the street & jerking the steering wheel left & right. The oem's feel very planted & track like. The BH's feel spongy. Perfect example is with the p5 just sitting on the ground, grab the roll cage & push n pull. The top moves much easier with the BH's. But this might go away if I put a couple more lbs of air in.
gatorguy likes this.
post #5 of 14 Old 04-24-2015, 10:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
I do think there is a slight loss in pwr due to the weight of these tires but they are soo much bigger than oem. If I had to do it over, I would go with 25's.
Really? Trying to decide myself between 25, 26 or 27" tire.
post #6 of 14 Old 04-24-2015, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
If you are looking at 25 to 27 tires, I think you will be happy with 26". I don't personally see a reason to go 26" on this small motor'd machine unless driving on pavement all the time. Unless the 27" tire you are looking at are not a true 27". The Big Horns are 26.4 I think. That is another reason I would have been ok with running 25" (25.4 actual on the BH)
post #7 of 14 Old 04-25-2015, 11:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have 26" all around; Bighorn radials. The weight was substantially increased by nearly 60 pounds over stock. I definitely notice it on steep hills and sand and it is disappointing. However, the ride is much smoother and it handles great not to mention it looks awesome. So I guess if you aren't in any really power demanding situations, you would be ok with whatever size you choose.
post #8 of 14 Old 04-28-2015, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
UPDATE- I took the P5 out to the desert. In 2nd gear, this unit will climb any hill. I'm not exagerating. I used 4wd to get up but never lost pwr in 2nd. Had bumps & holes along the way & it kept chugging along.
For anyone concerned with the possible lack of pwr having such a small motor, don't be. Because of the short & low end gearing, this thing is a fun toy. The only negative is going 30-40mph on dirt roads with the engine reving in the upper end of rpms.

I still don't like the rolling feeling with these 26" tires on oem wheels. but I didn't get a chance to add some air in the tires.
post #9 of 14 Old 04-28-2015, 09:15 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Quote:
UPDATE- I took the P5 out to the desert. In 2nd gear, this unit will climb any hill. I'm not exagerating. I used 4wd to get up but never lost pwr in 2nd. Had bumps & holes along the way & it kept chugging along.
For anyone concerned with the possible lack of pwr having such a small motor, don't be. Because of the short & low end gearing, this thing is a fun toy. The only negative is going 30-40mph on dirt roads with the engine reving in the upper end of rpms.

I still don't like the rolling feeling with these 26" tires on oem wheels. but I didn't get a chance to add some air in the tires.
lol I have to say i told you it would be fine. Just add air that will stop.

post #10 of 14 Old 04-29-2015, 02:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
A weak sidewall is one of my concerns about the Bighorn 2.0.
I've heard a lot of good comments on the Viper reading on other forums. The only thing with them is they run undersize.
I'm also considering the CST Clincher, but haven't heard much about them.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page