Honda Pioneer Forum banner

Storage box bed extender

11K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  loper 
#1 ·
Hi folks. Rather than buying the overpriced bed extender and taking up half the ute area with a storage box, I added a rhino storage box that does the job well.

The Rhino storage box ($215 Australian) from Bunnings is what the army uses so unlike most things it may last more that a year in the Aussie sun. I was sick of having my gear get wet so needed a dry box for my tools and spare clothes on the farm. This works great. The box is UV stabilised unlike the cheaper green version that is not. It is 900x550x400mm LWH and weighs 11kg. Totally waterproof and can be locked with two padlocks.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
A real Bed Extender

I found a very heavy 10" receiver riser and a 500 lb rated cargo carrier that made up the difference from the hitch to the bed height. This gives it the ability to be used as a bed extender since it is bed height once you drop the tailgate. I keep the strap on the riser and around the roll bar under the tailgate to keep the torque from damaging the receiver hitch. I can have several 50 lb corn sacks on it and still stand on it putting corn in my feeders (and I weigh just under 300 lbs). Works great as a spare tire holder as well, since it holds it up high enough that I have never been able to bottom it out even going through some pretty deep ditches and creeks. Lastly, when I am backing into the thicket to turn around on a trail, it also makes a great bumper. Let me know and I will send the links on Amazon. The best part is that I spent under $200 instead of over $300 for 8-10 inches of bed extended.

#5 ·
That sounds great. I hope you can get the pics uploaded. I have a light weight box trailer I use for moving compost, hay, soil etc. It is cheap Chinese crap and needed some modifications but has held up well for about two years now. I had to add the hitch receiver, jockey wheel and latches to stop the tailgate jumping off. The ripper lock needed modifying too. Here’s a pic below which is the same but mine is red.

Attachments

#9 ·
We wanted more storage, and we wanted to keep things balanced front to rear.
On the rear I used the JEI extender with the spare tire mount. I added a knock-off rotopax type gas can.
In the front I have a HMMWV pioneer tool kit and I reworked a harbor freight receiver mount rack, added brackets and made it into a hood rack.
On the front I have a Plano tactical gun case for a storage box.
Still saving up a bit for a winch and an led light bar.
Most of our trips we like to go to fairly remote places, so we bring a lot of stuff with us. Now we have a convenient spot for everything except a fire extinguisher mount.

Attachments

#11 ·
So another member asked for some more detailed pictures, here they are.

The front rack comes off quick and easy with four pins, for access under the hood.

Yep, the welding sucks. My welder took a dump when I started this project, that's why everything is bolted together.

I included a couple pictures to show how much room the JEI rack adds, in case anyone is trying to decide what's best for their application.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.