Honda Pioneer Forum banner

Can Am Commander vs Pioneer

50K views 57 replies 15 participants last post by  Timmi 
#1 ·
First post, never owned a sxs before but do own a Honda Rubicon. I am looking for a sxs to use hunting, riding into remote lakes and streams to flyfish, and just cruise around the ranch I lease (9000 ac on Ca coast, steep!). I will be doing some fairly challenging rocky roads in the sierras, and going into some roadless areas to pick up downed elk on the ranch I hunt in Oregon. Again, lots of rocky terrain to traverse there also. The Oregon ranch has a Can Am commander, which I have used and let me say it is an impressive machine. I don't think there is anywhere I couldn't take that thing. That said, it is hot and noisy and the throttle is very jerky. Can anybody compare a Pioneer to a Commander as far as capability and stability goes when way off the beaten path. I also will be traveling very slow most of the time, so top end speed means nothing to me.Quietness is very important, as is comfort. I read about not needing a low range, but let me tell you, when you are climbing a steep off camber leave covered hill and you run out of steam, low range will literally save your life and machine. Backing down is not an option in these situations and I have had to use it a few times on the Rubicon. I have a hard time with the Pioneer not giving us this option for these type of situations. I have looked at them, sat in them and listened to them idle, but there is no way to get seat time so I have to rely on others experience. Sorry for the long post and thanks for your input.

See less See more
#38 ·
Went to pull the spec heights on the smaller BH 2.0's. Their load limit is a lot lower than the stock 661 lbs . I can't suggest those as the right way to go.

#39 ·
Well, since you guys are liking the 2,0's, that's what I was going to go with.

I'm going to go measure how much clearance I have. When I get that, you can tell me exactly which tire to get. I've been looking, and I don't know which width to try and get. Also, I didn't see anything above a 26" 2.0 for the stock rims.

Their load limit is a lot lower than the stock 661 lbs . I can't suggest those as the right way to go.
Isn't that - each? That's almost double what the machine weighs, right?

#40 ·
I just did the calculations on another thread, don't remember which. If you have a full payload and 2: 200 pound riders. Counting zero accessories or equipment, the stock tires would be over their max already

#41 ·
Well, I now know a lot about replacement tires for the Pioneer! JK. Seems like the Pioneer is a bit top heavy as well. I'm not sure the right machine exists for me right now. Don't these manufactures realize what consumers want? Honda almost hit it here, but they loose me with the stability in rough terrain and no low range. Tires don't matter, they can always be swapped. I sure hope Honda reads the forum and takes notes, or I will end up buying another Jeep.

#42 ·
Right ,let me address your issues with the Pioneer. According to what you've said. Its not the vehicle for you.

Jeeps are decent vehicles too.

#43 ·
I don't feel the Pioneer is top heavy at all. I find it very stable. Honda will never produce a vehicle that is tippy. Why do you think it has nets all over it? Safety first!

I really wish Suzuki would make a SxS off the King Quad drive-train. Make it 55-60" wide, copy Honda's folding seats in a short wheelbase. Make it NOT ugly. Make the engine easy to access. Being a Suzuki, it will have value pricing. I'm first in line.

Better yet, Honda adds a lever that says "H-L" to the Pioneer. Or, maybe even better, take the outstanding Hondamatic from the Rubicon and add it to the 680 engine. Add paddle shifters and the ESP mode as well from the Rubicon. Smile while you accept the award for the most perfect trail-SXS made.

I can't imagine why either of those machines isn't being produced, or why somebody hasn't had the good sense to produce them.

I love jeeps as much as anybody, and a new JK is sweet as it gets. But, feeling limbs scratching a $30k paint job is not what i favor. And at the end of the day, a SxS does it cheaper, with a better ride, and holds up better ( unless you buy a RZR ).

#44 ·
I really wish Suzuki would make a SxS off the King Quad drive-train. Make it 55-60" wide, copy Honda's folding seats in a short wheelbase. Make it NOT ugly. Make the engine easy to access. Being a Suzuki, it will have value pricing. I'm first in line.
You'd actually be second in line. I already called dibs!

#45 ·
I'd never buy a JK. A Tj is a much better size and much better motor. I guess I'm back to looking at Polaris Rangers. Viking looked nice to me until I drove it. Loud and tons of vibration. Horrible turning radius also. Thanks for the input guys, I do appreciate the honesty.

#49 ·
I take it you've never driven one of the new "Pentastar" 3.6's? They have power, and are proving to be quite durable. Few, if any, engines will prove to be a tough as the 4.0, though. And a JK may be slightly bigger, but it is more capable in stock form that the ( admittedly, very capable ) TJ. I love them both.

FWIW, i will likely be trading for a 570 Ranger.

#47 ·
The Pioneer is not top heavy, in fact it has a very low center of gravity. The cage is high but that's not where the weight is.

A Jeep is a joke on a trail compared to a SXS, they can't keep up and can't go near as many places as a SXS of any color. That being said if you buy any 4 seater UTV except the honda you might as well get a jeep it'll be just as long.

#48 ·
I'm sure I'm over-analyzing the whole thing. I know how great my Rubicon has been, and I see no reason to think this would be any different. Really, I was looking for a first hand comparison between a commander and a Pioneer in low speed, more technical type terrain. Being that I don't plan to drive very fast, like probably never over 35-40 and most often under 15, I don't know that any other SxS would be useful. I must say, however, I took my 05 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon places no size by side of any color could go. It was also built and on 35's.

#51 ·
I'm not a Polaris fan-boy be any means, but it comes as close to what i want as anything out there right now. And did i mention that it has a nice, low, low range?

The original Teryx from Kawi might have been nice, but it seems like it has problems of its own. New 4-seat Teryx seems better, but is just too big! Can-am's honestly seem worse than Polaris for problems from what I've read, and as you've mentioned, the Viking just isn't it. Haven't looked into Arctic Cats too much yet...John Deers are expensive and not main-stream enough to consider....

It's like you said...the target for the best SxS seems obvious, but no one wants to hit it.

#53 ·
Bought a Can Am Commander XT1000 about 2 1/2 years ago ... the very first complaint we had was the noise, second was the heat. We added a +2 seat/rollbar kit so the whole family could go riding. My kids quickly outgrew the cramped back seat. It didn't get used much after that. I had an opportunity to do some rocky terrain riding in the Ozarks a couple of times last year and with it's low COG it was awesome up and down the rocky backbones. Not sure I would attempt some of the steep parts in a Pioneer because of the higher COG.
We wanted to purchase a 4 seater but we were really turned off of them because of their length and turning radius. We happened to be in Honda dealership one Saturday and saw the new Pioneer 4P. We got on the waiting list for a 4P in camo and got it before Christmas. Both are fine machines ... hard to compare apples and oranges though. I'd rather not have to cough up $1000 for a belt service so we sold the Can Am. That's more money I get to spend on the Pioneer.

#55 ·
The noise didn't bother me as much as it did my wife. The first comment she made about the Pioneer was that it was a lot quieter. I am very happy with our Pioneer so far ... we have just under 100 miles on it and have used it around the ranch for all kinds of chores.

#56 ·
I am in the same situation about the wife. She hates the rzr. She likes comfort and quiet and she wants a bench seat so we can take our dog along. I have driven a Commander and a Teryx, also a Gator rsx. All of them seem noisy and hot in the cab. I like the Ranger 570 since I am familiar with the drive train and it has eps. I dislike it because it has no engine braking, struts on the front, and no 4 seat option. (we have two grandchildren)
The local Honda dealer no longer sells atv's, so I must drive an hour to even look at one. Thanks for the information!

#57 ·
From what I've read, the Ranger 570 and the Pioneer are at the top of the same category. The versatility of the Pioneer 4P with the flip up seats is what sold me on it. We don't always have 4 people in it but I like the size of it versus a big, long 4 seater. We actually had a 5th person on it once. I know we're enjoying our Pioneer a lot and it was about $5000 less than what we paid for the Commander.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.