Honda Pioneer Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Preview
After 10 or so Fwd / Rev operations during snow plowing the forward shift becomes intermittent and finally won’t go into 1st gear at all. No trouble on the reverse gear. After a shut down period of 15 to 30 minutes shifting is again normal for a few minutes and then it fails to go into low gear. I am unable to hear anything when the paddle is pulled so I don’t have a clue if it’s a switch problem or mechanical. Anybody have any thoughts on this problem. The nearest dealership is 150 miles away.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Preview
After 10 or so Fwd / Rev operations during snow plowing the forward shift becomes intermittent and finally won’t go into 1st gear at all. No trouble on the reverse gear. After a shut down period of 15 to 30 minutes shifting is again normal for a few minutes and then it fails to go into low gear. I am unable to hear anything when the paddle is pulled so I don’t have a clue if it’s a switch problem or mechanical. Anybody have any thoughts on this problem. The nearest dealership is 150 miles away.
2017 Pioneer 500, same exact thing. Haven't had any issues running it normally, but with the plow and after 20-30 minutes of plowing a gravel driveway it completely fails to shift. No sound coming at all when the paddle shifters are depressed. If I let it sit powered off for 15 minutes, it starts shifting again. Mine also developed a squeak coming from the rear brake caliper area(or possibly the rear diff).

·
Registered
2018 Honda Pioneer 1000
4 Posts
I use my Honda pioneer 1000 for plowing snow.
The same thing would happen to me, until I added a volt gage.
After plowing for awhile, the battery voltage would drop so low, that it would not go into gear.
I then would sit in park, revving the engine until the voltage came back up.
In spring I will install a dual battery system. Until then, I have a 1000 cca battery sitting on the floor.
I have cables running to the main battery, through the dash, hooked up in parallel. No more problem.
After plowing, I hook up a trickle charger and it is all ready for the next snow storm.
Have a good day

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good information. I wished that I had thought to consider voltage. I have a voltmeter on the dash but didn’t think of low voltage as a problem. I replaced the shift control motor and the problem went away so maybe the new unit is less susceptible to low voltage. I’ll keep my eye on the voltage from now on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts