Honda Pioneer Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brand new (less than 3 hrs) Pioneer 700-2 has a coolant leak. Radiator overflow almost empty (just barely showing blue coolant), Leak seems to be coming from motor somewhere, but that is my diagnosis from looking through holes in skid plate. There is a hose near one of the holes in the skid plate that is not hooked to anything and looks like coolant is coming from it. Radiator fan runs and coolant level checked at normal temp and when it is cold from the plastic radiator overflow. Like I said, almost empty. My first thought was that is was overfilled, that's not the case. Call Dealer and take it to the service dept.???

· Registered
8 Posts
My brand new (less than 3 hrs) Pioneer 700-2 has a coolant leak. Radiator overflow almost empty (just barely showing blue coolant), Leak seems to be coming from motor somewhere, but that is my diagnosis from looking through holes in skid plate. There is a hose near one of the holes in the skid plate that is not hooked to anything and looks like coolant is coming from it. Radiator fan runs and coolant level checked at normal temp and when it is cold from the plastic radiator overflow. Like I said, almost empty. My first thought was that is was overfilled, that's not the case. Call Dealer and take it to the service dept.???
Yup - I have the same thing. I took off the skid plate and found they have a "drain hose" attached to the water pump. Called my local service folks and they said according to the service manual "coolant will weep from that drain hose" but they could not tell me what that drain hose was for. I get more like a teaspoon of coolant after the engine gets hot plowing. I wrote Honda about this and their answer was that the customer support folks are not technical and I should talk to my local service rep. I will try another dealer and see if they have any better answer. Since all I am doing with it now is plowing, the skid plate is off and I put a container under the drain hose to catch the coolant to keep it away from the dogs.

· Registered
8 Posts
The exact quote from the service manual is:

Mechanical Seal Inspection:
Check the bleed hose of the water pump for coolant leakage.
NOTE a small amount of coolant weeping from the bleed hose is normal
Make sure that there is not continuous coolant leakage from the bleed hose while operating the engine.
Replace the water pump as an assembly if necessary."

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for this information
I would feel better if my plastic radiator overflow wasn't empty. Radiator is full, but according to the manual the overflow is supposed to be between the minimum and maximum at normal operating temp. It's almost empty at normal operating temp and it's empty when it's cold. Blue coolant is easy to see.

· Registered
8 Posts
I would feel better if my plastic radiator overflow wasn't empty. Radiator is full, but according to the manual the overflow is supposed to be between the minimum and maximum at normal operating temp. It's almost empty at normal operating temp and it's empty when it's cold. Blue coolant is easy to see.
Then I would say there is around 200 ML of coolant that has leaked (weeped?) out of the system. I have lost about the same amount. Mine is older than yours and has about 250 miles on it - the service folks said they have never heard of this happening. I would have not noticed it except I parked it in front of the garage on paved driveway with snow. When parked on the dirt in the tractor shed it is just a small dark spot.
Please address this with your dealer - I would love to know what the purpose is of the bleeder/drain hose is. BTW in the manual it is called a bleeder, in the exploded parts breakdown it is called a drain hose.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Then I would say there is around 200 ML of coolant that has leaked (weeped?) out of the system. I have lost about the same amount. Mine is older than yours and has about 250 miles on it - the service folks said they have never heard of this happening. I would have not noticed it except I parked it in front of the garage on paved driveway with snow. When parked on the dirt in the tractor shed it is just a small dark spot.
Please address this with your dealer - I would love to know what the purpose is of the bleeder/drain hose is. BTW in the manual it is called a bleeder, in the exploded parts breakdown it is called a drain hose.
Not much snow in South Carolina, but the only way I noticed the leak was when it was parked on concrete. Already called dealer. Taking it on Friday.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fishdog - what did the dealer say or do?
The service man got underneath the Pioneer while it was still on the trailer. Then he ask if I would take it off the trailer and he could have it 15 minutes. 15 minutes he came back and said he had tightened a clamp and filled back up with coolant. Problem solved. No other problems.

· Registered
2018 Honda Pioneer 1000
591 Posts
Howdy and welcome from Northern Iowa to @OldBarnRoad
Put the @ symbol in front of their username, IF they have it setup right, will send them an alert/Email.
Like this. Hey @AKShoto , you are being called.
Have a good day

1 - 13 of 13 Posts