Honda Pioneer Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys,
Was gonna make a soft roof from transport truck tarp, think I'll still do back and doors with it. But after hunting on old trails and the overhang of trees and limbs am thinking this....

Bought some aluminum (as I couldn't source SS or zinc treated steel) Nut serts or sert nuts.... Basically a rivet with a threaded, in my case 1/4-20 thread hole in the middle of the collar. You drill a 3/8" hole in roll cage tubing, insert the nut sert and tighten it down till the rivet portion collapses on the inside the tubing. Undo and remove bolt and install sleeve, that is used to crush collapse nut sert collar. Voila threaded nut insert affixed to cage that I will be using to hold clear Lexan (SS 1/4"-20 3/4" bolts and washers) to cage. Thinking I'll also install a short windscreen in same fashion. Will take some pix when I do this.

So do you think a few 3/8" holes with nut serts will weaken, negatively impact the roll cage? I'm thinking it make increase structural strength, as Lexan is some a strong product.

I'm mulling over door design and for now am looking/thinking 1/8" Lexan for windows and using the trucking tarp for remainder of door and cab back.

What say you? Please free to comment.

jrc

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
If you install a torqued bolt into the hole it won't affect the structural integrity of the member in most cases (which is basically what your doing), especially when the load on a roll cage is mostly under compression. I agree the material your adding to the roof might even increase it a bit (kind of like a big gusset).

As long as you don't put too many in one area I wouldn't be concerned about it. Sounds like a good plan, show us some pic's when your done.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts