1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please post any info, i:e; filter numbers from aftermarket brands, like
K&N #
Fram #
etc...would benefit everyone on this site.

Keep it short and simple...also Oils and weights being used, and if synthetic or blends ,i:e,
Shell
Castrol
Mobile 1
Pennzoil
Amsoil

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oil / Filter

Bought Valvoline 4T Full Synthetic "SJ" rated (per the owners manual)motorcycle/atv oil, 10W-40 and a Fram CH6007 at Advance Auto, on sale for $29.95 for 4 qts and the filter. Changed oil and filter out yesterday, will let everyone know what I think after some use. Reviews on the oil seem good. Filter came with new o-rings for filter cover and filter bolt.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I bought the Castrol Mortorcycle oil and the Fram CH6007 at Advance Auto for 32.95.
Read some good reviews of the oil used in Honda quads.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oil Information

Did some research on oil grades. Here is what the Petroleum Quality Institute of America says;
API Service class SJ is the lowest rated currently approved oil to still use for years 2001 and newer.
API classes SL, SM, and SN are newer classes for todays engines (2001 to 2014).
API classes SA, SB, SC, SD, SE, SF, SG, SH are for pre 2001 engines and can cause harm to your engine newer than 2001.
End result, per the Honda Pioneer owners manual, use Type SJ at a minimum. Also, make sure your oil viscosity has a "W" in it, ie; 10W-40.
The "W" indicates the winter viscosity. SAE 5-30 is not the same as 5W-30.
Final word;Read the API donut labels on the oil carefully before you buy.

Reactions: gtownky

·
Registered
186 Posts
Castrol RS is rated SL and is designed for clutch, gears and engine of motorcycle engines. At 32.95 for four quarts and a fram filter, is problably the best deal you will find on quality oil for your Pioneer.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I paid around $39. For oil (4qts) & filter at the dealer yesterday. A lot of money maybe but if I would have any problems I don't want to regret not spending the extra 10-15$ . It is lubricating the eng. & the trans and I always thought there was additives in the honda oil for wet clutches that most oils don't have. Just my opinion, who knows ?

·
Registered
684 Posts
any oil with the rating of JASO-MA is wet clutch approved and will work in any wet clutch honda (atv-dirtbike etc)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts