Honda Pioneer Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Local ATV repair guy told me this weekend that if I added a k&n air filter to the Pioneer it would add horsepower. Essentially, swapping out the filtrate material as I understood it. Is this real? If so, would this be enough HP to notice? And would it be HP at the low or high end? This stuff is all a mystery to me.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Local ATV repair guy told me this weekend that if I added a k&n air filter to the Pioneer it would add horsepower. Essentially, swapping out the filtrate material as I understood it. Is this real? If so, would this be enough HP to notice? And would it be HP at the low or high end? This stuff is all a mystery to me.
Well...if it increases airflow ( and K&N's have proven to do so on most applications ), it should add power everywhere. How much is the question? Probably enough to feel, but that is also dependent on how well the stock system flows.

I should warn you that a large number of people feel that the K&N is not suitable for use in dusty environments. Head over to the RZR forums or Google it...and prepare to read. MUCH resentment among some members who claimed they ruined an engine.

I am undecided on them as far as ATV/SxS use. I believe the logic used is that anything that flows more air lets more grit past. I keep meaning to e-mail K&N and ask them to reply to these accusations, but just have never gotten around to it.

FWIW, i have used them in several street vehicles with no issues.

·
Registered
684 Posts
getting a free flowing air filter (K&N , UNI, twin-air) is only 1/3 of the equation...... to gain a noticiable HP increase you need to add a free flowing exhaust and a fuel management system (to add more fuel) the upside is HP you can feel ..... the downside is all this will cost you about $1000 and will be loud so hunting in the pioneere is out and youre MPG is gone also and .......do you want to be that guy that has to be at the rear because youre rig is sooooo obnoxious . think about it

·
Registered
903 Posts
After nosing around the internet after my first post, i think i will be putting a paper filter back in my vehicles soon as they need cleaning.

This is one example i found...

K&N Air Filter Review - Debunking the Myths (and why OEM is better)

This test ( the duramax test ) this site is quoting was linked to by several sites ( including ATV/DB sites ). Way too much evidence that K&N simply passes to much "stuff".

Not worth the risk for minimal power gain.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Ive always heard horror stories about mechanics finding sand in carbs from K&Ns. Ive always run UNIs.

Reactions: scubasteve

·
Registered
684 Posts
Ive always heard horror stories about mechanics finding sand in carbs from K&Ns. Ive always run UNIs.
yup i find sand and grit all the time in the venturi of carbs when they run the K&N filter without the prefilter ....stock or UNI filters work best IMO

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I will be running the K&N filter and pre filter in my Pioneer. I run them in most all my toys. Will you notice the power gain? I doubt it. Without opening up the exhaust the percentage gain will be minimal. Maybe 1-3%. On 34hp that isn't a lot.

I have never seen dirt, sand, or any other grit get thru the filters. Maybe I'm just lucky or just that anal about maintenance and clean room procedures for engine work.

·
Premium Member
2,490 Posts
I have ran a K&N with outer wear once, you will never give me one again for a ATV/UTV. No performance gain over any of the foam filters (including stock) by the "seat of my pants" test runs.. lol Possibly you would see small percentages on a dyno but not enough in the real world to worry about. I don't run stock machines either, everyone is modified in one point or another.

Whatever filter you decide to go with maintenance on them is the key. If you don't properly oil your stock/aftermarket filter it will not stop the dust particles. The day of 80-90 being used for filter oil has passed also, they make much better filter oils that catch the fine particles. I'm a huge fine of the Klotz filter oils.

Here is one that came into my shop that was not oiled. As you can see it wasn't doing it's job.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
There might of been a little bit of a failure of the filtration on that machine. Jeez!

·
Premium Member
2,490 Posts
Ya, I see all kinds of abuse done to these machines. It's surprising how well they hold up to it. Here's another one that was in for a service, which it needed badly.. lol

·
Registered
903 Posts
Some people don't deserve to own these things...

Lately, I've been using Honda foam filter oil and Maxima cleaner. The cleaner will singe your nose hair.

I usually buy an extra and oil/store it so its ready to go in on a moments notice. Seems i always forget that it needs cleaning until minutes before the ride. Out here in the dusty AZ desert, you must stay on top of this.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Some people don't deserve to own these things...

Lately, I've been using Honda foam filter oil and Maxima cleaner. The cleaner will singe your nose hair.

I usually buy an extra and oil/store it so its ready to go in on a moments notice. Seems i always forget that it needs cleaning until minutes before the ride. Out here in the dusty AZ desert, you must stay on top of this.
yup i see it all the time (dry rotted air filter) and it's the same in the high desert of utah ! i had a guy come into the shop last week with 2 yamaha moto 4 200 (1986) and wanted a service done on eash ..... i asked him when was the last time the oil was changed and he said bush was in office , he couldn't remember if it was bush 1 or his son bush 2 :D

·
Registered
903 Posts
yup i see it all the time (dry rotted air filter) and it's the same in the high desert of utah ! i had a guy come into the shop last week with 2 yamaha moto 4 200 (1986) and wanted a service done on eash ..... i asked him when was the last time the oil was changed and he said bush was in office , he couldn't remember if it was bush 1 or his son bush 2 :D
Sadly, I've heard similar stories.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Hah! At least he does his maintenance in measurable intervals.

·
Registered
469 Posts
holy.... do people not check their air filters from time to time? how long do those go before they end up like that?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
My K & N and pre charger came in. I will be installing those this weekend.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts